Best drum program for odd time signatures and also a good bass program

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by horacexgrant, Jun 13, 2011.

1. horacexgrant

horacexgrant SS.org Regular

Hello to all,

In your guys' opinions, what drum program is good for doing many odd time signatures for Prog Metal stuff? I know Beatcraft can do odd time sigs pretty easily, but I don't think the drum sounds from Beatcraft are as good as Superior Drummer and whatnot. I don't have much experience with Superior, but I have EZ Drummer, and it seems that there's only 1 groove with odd time sigs, and most of it is 4/4 stuff. And if I choose to use a MIDI keyboard to make my own beats, isn't it not going to be perfectly on tempo due to human error? So does Superior have many odd time signature grooves?

Also, what's a good bass simulator to use for my songs? I tried using the bass sounds from Garage Band, but I don't think it sounds realistic at all and probably won't work for Prog Metal songs.

And I use a Mac btw, but am capable of using Windows programs via VMware Fusion.

Thanks!

2. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Use something like S2.0 or EZD and program them using the MIDI from guitar pro or piano roll.

horacexgrant likes this.
  3. Malkav

Malkav Washing your dishes.

This!

Heck you can program the Midi in within cubase itself so the only real limitation here is owing to PEBKAC.

horacexgrant likes this.
  4. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

As far as a bass program goes, I think a lot of people here have had good success with Trillian.

5. in-pursuit

in-pursuit SS.org Regular

I'm definitely keen to try out Trillian, using Kontakt with the scarbee jay bass at the moment. Can't really justify buying a new VSTi when I know I haven't really tried to get the most out of what I'm already using. That being said though I have heard a lot of people here getting fantastic results out of Trillian.

6. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Yes, Trilian is awesome ! I'm using it and am very happy with its sound!

7. Racerdeth

Racerdeth SS.org Regular

Cubase's drum editor is the best thing that ever happened to MIDI (apart from general MIDI). Go forth and use it wisely, my son.

horacexgrant likes this.
  8. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

I've gotten some decent results out of trilogy, is trillian worth the $$$?

9. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

YES, it definitely is. While Trilogy sounds good, Trillian sounds a lot better IMO.

10. niffnoff

Got any demos with it?
    <3

11. horacexgrant

Does Trilian work on Mac Garageband? What are some good free bass programs as an alternative if I can't afford to buy Trilian?

Also, how do you guys program your drum beats with Midi Keyboard? Do you play and record one type of drum at a time? So, you record the bass drum's part first, then the snare, etc? I'm not really comfortable using the piano roll thing on Garageband. It seems difficult and unnatural to program drums with. Are there any video tutorials or anything to help me get started on how to use Guitar Pro to do drums? I kind of want the Beatcraft style of programming where you plug in where the beats go, and then it plays it out for you, but just want better sounds. Does Beatcraft have any upgradable kits that sound better?

Thanks.

12. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

horacexgrant likes this.
  13. niffnoff

You win. Spectrasonics made a winner.

14. horacexgrant

Can anyone please offer any insight to any of my inquiries? Is it easier using Superior 2.0 on a certain DAW? Or do they all have pretty much about the same method in how you use S2.0?

Thanks.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

15. DILFalmighty

DILFalmighty New Member

your daw is really where you will be doing most of your editing, not within superior. i personally use cubase 5. it has a really rice drum editor in addition to its piano roll for editing midi. it also lets you control tempo and time signature by creating a special track for each and it allows you to input information for these right on your timeline next to all your other tracks. hope this helps!

horacexgrant likes this.
  16. horacexgrant

Thanks, i will try Cubase sometime!

If i could get some answers for my other inquiries, i would mightily appreciate it! :metal: