Best controller ?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Nyx Erebos, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Nyx Erebos

Nyx Erebos SS.org Regular

I'm looking for the best controller to play on PC but without being able to test most of them it's hard to choose. I own an xbox one controller but I hate the face buttons, they're a bit hard to press and they feel like an old membrane keyboard. The d-pad doesn't feel very good either. Should I go for a ps4 controller ? A third party one ?

2. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

As far as I know of, there are zero mechanical controllers. The razer wildcat uses hyper response AKA mouse switches, and the rest is analog IIRC.

I personally just use a 360, since it's cheap and reliable, and doing anything that's not a platformer/racer or requires precision -> MK setup.

3. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS Formerly DJIMBO

You could try the XBONE pro controller. I hear its way better

4. Pav

Pav ???

This is probably the "best" controller available right now, although the price does reflect that.

You could use a PS4 controller but you would need a 3rd party program to make it work on the PC. I hear there are some good ones out there but I've never tried anything.

5. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS Formerly DJIMBO

6. Nyx Erebos

I'm not looking for mechanical switches, it's just that the face buttons of the xbone controller don't feel good imo. I can't find any info about the face buttons of the elite controller being different so I guess that they feel the same. I'll look into the razer wildcat. :yesway:

7. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

What feels bad about the face buttons, and have you checked it's not a problem with your controller? X1 controller is definitely the best available at the moment, but try a 360 controller, too. My opinion is that PlayStation controllers, as they've always been. Though, if you don't need analog triggers, the Wii U Pro controller is amazing.

8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I own a PS4, but would recommend microsofts controllers any day of the week. They are damn comfortable. The Wii-u controller is only ok at best because of where the analog sticks are, they feel really far away from your hand.

9. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

An old school NES controller...

....... Ok, in seriousness though, I'll always be bias towards a Dualshock.

10. Pav

Pav ???

The Elite controller comes with several sets of analog sticks, face buttons and D-pads for you to swap out at your leisure. A lot of it is also nice metal stuff that should be nice and easy to press and solve your problem with the face buttons.

11. Nyx Erebos

They just don't feel good, I have an old 360 controller and it's even worse.

As far as I know you can't replace the face buttons.

I tried a bunch of controllers today in Akiba and I must have weird hands because none of them feel good. The buttons are "hard" to press in an all or nothing kind of way, I can't feel the actuation point and overall there's no feedback.

I couldn't find the wildcat in Akiba :(

12. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

I'd hate to be the one that sounds like a jerk, but maybe you are the problem. I exclusively game on PC and I use an old 360 controller I've had for probably 5 years and it performs wonderfully. I got a Steam controller but I hate it.

If you want to go nuts, the best out there is probably the Xbox Elite controller.

13. Origin

Origin Rainbow In The Dark

Other than the normal 360 ones people are pretty rightly suggesting, I used to have an original (or original tournament edition, forget which) Razer Onza and it was really nice. Probably the only Razer peripheral I've ever had that wasn't total ass. Super sensitive and responsive buttons on all fronts with adjustable sticks, works natively on PC etc. It could take a beating too; I eventually killed it playing the first Dark Souls, but it took quite a few round trips to Concrete Town to finish the job. It also was a bit more 'grippy' than a standard 360 controller, if that makes sense; rubberized in places. iirc it wasn't much more expensive than a regular one. I make fun of Razer's crap relentlessly, but can't say enough good about the Onza I had. I miss it dearly.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  14. twizza

twizza Social Assassin

I've been using this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009DALSSG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Show up as a 360, but I like it better than the 360 I have. The 360 controllers seem to have better compatibility with some of the games I played (I get games from gog) then the Xbox one controllers. (Which I assume is microsoft "urging" people to buy whatever) I guess you may not gel with controllers though by the sounds of it. Maybe to the mouse and keyboard for you.

15. Nyx Erebos

Don't worry I'll be the first to admit that I'm a part of the problem. I say "a part" because I'm quite satisfied with my other gaming experiences in general. Playing an str on a nice keyboard feels good, playing an fps with a nice mouse feels good, playing a fighting game with my qanba stick feels great... That's why I'm looking for the same kind of fine tuned experience with a regular controller. I don't mind paying the premium on the X1 elite but if it has the same face buttons as the regular X1 controller, it's not worth it for me.

16. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Have you tried a PS4 controller then? I have one and like it. I would still recommend the Xbox 1 controller, but if it's an insurmountable thing with the face buttons maybe the Sony one will feel different enough.

Idk, 5 minutes into playing and I have no idea what the controller feels like outside of fighting games with an arcade stick (Need them Sanwa parts).

17. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

The Xbox Elite Controller is by far the best feeling controller, but it is pricey. I would say that the PS4 controller might be more of your thing, the face buttons have a more audible and noticeable click to them. So when you're pressing on the buttons you really don't feel like they're squishy or not responsive.

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I'm maybe in the minority on this one, but I got a steam controller and quite like it for a lot of games. Takes some time to set up get used to, but I like being able to use the motion controls, being able to customize everything, etc. Probably not what OP is looking for, cause it does "feel" a bit weird, but who knows.

19. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

The Sony face buttons have always been much squishier, the Xbox buttons ware much more tactile. I haven't held an Xbone controller in ages, but I always found the 360 controller to be very good for a crisp button feel.

20. Nyx Erebos

Hmmm, maybe something to look forward to if it ever comes into existence.