Best Budget Progressive metal tone?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Parker Petty, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Parker Petty

Parker Petty SS.org Regular

Hey guys,
    So ive been using Bias FX for the last few months with a focusrite scarlet 2i2, and it has been rather difficult to find good tones, There are a few, but I still find it difficult to find many tones that I need, now i dont know if this is because I dont have the pro version (Which seems like every good tone online is using), or if its just not that great of a program. I mainly play progressive metal music and plan to start writing my own, so would you guys recommend getting the pro version? Or are there somewhat cheap alternatives to getting a good tone? Thanks.

Mark Tal0s likes this.
  2. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

You could find someone to reamp for you for a pretty good price if you have a full EP or album already recorded.

If your still in pre-pro or something I found Ignite Amp's Emissary plugin which is free to be really awesome. Definitely one of the better free options. TSE X50 is pretty cheap and amazing if you want 6505 tone.

3. EmaDaCuz

EmaDaCuz Brutal yet soulful

The Ignite free amps are amazing, and I like the Anvil even more than the Emissary. Pair it with Torpedo Wall of Sound and you are good to go.

4. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I recently played direct into the Menace VST by Joey Sturgis at a buddy's house and it was great. Like, instant brutal prog tone. I'd say give it a try.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

If you want an amp sim, the LePou stuff is surprisingly good - I could get embarrassingly close to the sound I get out of my Roadster using that and a good Mesa V30 IR.

That said, since part of prog is being a titanic snob, I'd just grab a Mark V:25 or 35, a 1x12 cab, and a SM57 and proceed to look down on plebes with their software tones. :flex:

Deadpool_25 and TedEH like this.