best 7 string guitars under $200?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by 7stringstohangyouwith, Oct 31, 2018.

1. 7stringstohangyouwith

7stringstohangyouwith SS.org Regular

I've seen the ESP LTD M-17 on display for $149. Wished it came in another color.

Now, the special edition Jackson Dinky JS22-7 looked better than the non special edition. I've considered that as well.

I'm not sure why the Dinky isn't considered a short scale? I preferred short scale guitars. I guess its body is "short scale" lol.

Finally, the Ibanez GRG7221 is another one to look at especially since it comes in Metallic Light Blue.

Which one would you get? I haven't owned a 7 string guitar before so help me decide here.

2. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

If you don't absolutely have to have a new guitar, I would look around for a used RG7321. If you have some patience, you might find one under $200.

What exactly do you mean by short-scale? I think all the guitars you listed are 25.5".

The only shorter-scale (24 3/4") seven string I can think of near this price range would be a used Ibanez AX7221 (or AX7521 if you can get really lucky).

3. 7stringstohangyouwith

short scale as in Ibanez Mikro...

4. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

Well, nobody makes a 22.2" scale 7 string, as far as I know.

5. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Why are you looking for something that small?

6. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I'm a total chizzler, I've always played cheapies. Then my two LTD 7's got jacked in a studio heist, I needed a 7 now in my hands within a few days. I bought a new SGR C7 when they were out for $200. The tuners and hardware were great, quality high ratio tuners with no slippage. USA setup, good frets, pickups were decent not dull. Snag a used one. Schecters are the only cheapies (aside from Agile/Douglas) that don't have garbage machines from the factory. If you wanna order new? I bought a new Douglas Scope 727 and it was great too. Nice quilt, good floyd/tuners and pickups didn't suck but change them eventually. The JS22 I picked up once at GC didn't feel good or sturdy at all. The SGR was heavy. End note; stock Ibanez pickups are the worst thing on the planet. 7321's are plentiful but do try to find one with an upgraded bridge pickup. Otherwise don't pay more than around $150.

7. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Best super cheap 7s are IMHO the late ‘90s Schecters. Made well in Korea and can be found under $200 from time to time. The RG7321 certainly gets the job done too.

8. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

The Dinky is called that because at the time it came out the body was smaller than a lot of guitars. Speaking of that I have a JS22-7 with a DiMarzio Titan in the bridge and it slays hard.

7stringstohangyouwith likes this.
  9. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

7stringstohangyouwith likes this.
  10. Dyster

Dyster SS.org Regular

if you buy a harley benton 7 string at that pricepoint you should be prepared to the possibility of having to repair or replace the nut (mangled nut seems to be a theme on these, atleast the fanfrets) and a fret polish is likely gonna be mandatory.

i dont wanna come across as too harsh on this brand as i honestly do like it and what they are doing alot. i own a TE-7 fanfret myself and out of my 6 guitars its by far the one i use the most but from a pricepoint perspective ive probably put something closer to 600+ usd into it by now and ive done all the work on it myself.

11. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

Both of my recently bought HB's have very well cut nuts. In fact it's overall freaky how good they both are overall for the prices.

12. Iron1

Iron1 SS.org Regular

I'd take a JS22-7 over an RG7321 any day, and I'm a career Ibanez guy...

erdiablo666 likes this.
  13. Dyster

Dyster SS.org Regular

it seems like a easy enough thing to fix at the factory or at thomann with their own plex machine. i hope the mangled nut on my own and the reviewed early models are a thing of the past. were yours fanfrets and/or 7/8 strings? those seem to be the only models affected by this

14. alessandroarzilli

alessandroarzilli SS.org Regular

I bought a brand new Jackson Dinky JS22-7 back in 2015/16 for about 200,00 $.
    Since the beginning it always felt and sounded great, especially for death/thrash metal with fast riffs and solos (you can check many of my tunes on my youtube channel, I recoreded 90% of them using the JS22-7).
    It had only one big problem for me: the Jackson original Hard Tail HT bridge was really bad, it scratched and hurt my right palm every time I played it.
    So I bought a 7 string tuneomatic (and a Seymour Duncan invader SH-8B bridge) online and brought to a luthier and made it install them.
    I'm very happy right now with my custom JS22-7.
    The original bridge pickup wasn't that bad, but I needed something stronger. I left the original neck pickup, though, it's quite good.
    So in conclusion, the JS22-7 is a great low budget guitar. I'd buy it again for sure, as a backup guitar for sure at least.

Iron1 likes this.
  15. Zhysick

Zhysick Sick of all

Yes, I have said that about the bridge several times in this forum: the only bad thing about the guitar. You can just cut the bolts of the saddles if you don't want to spend that much money, but yes, it's the only weakness. Changing the pickups isn't a bad thing as they are not the best but for the price are amazing: usable, that's more than we can say about lots of guitars in that price range LOL

It's a great guitar that Jackson, amazing neck!

alessandroarzilli likes this.
  16. Iron1

Iron1 SS.org Regular

Any chance you have a comparison recording of the JS22-7 with the original bridge pup, then the Invader?

alessandroarzilli and Zoobiedood like this.
  17. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

Oh yeah, I didn't notice that differentiation in your post. Mine are just the SC and DC Customs, no fanfrets :)

18. Dyster

Dyster SS.org Regular

the nut on my fanfret was not a pre-cut thing just dropped and glued in. it was obviously cut on the guitar itself, as evidenced by the filemarks between the nut and first fret. it was mostly a visual flaw and did not impede playing in any way apart from the nut being sharp around the corners and rather uncomfortable.

all the 6 strings ive seen had much better cut nuts in them so its probably only the fanfrets

19. 7stringstohangyouwith

The ESP LTD M-17 is about under 25" too (24.75"). Have you looked at its specs? I just ordered an Ibanez GRG7221 7 strings. With all the cash back and discounts I think I got it for about $140 (b stock though). The metallic light blue color was what got me.

20. 7stringstohangyouwith

Agile is pricey! I think the makers also makes Hadean guitars, which I have in fretless 6 strings!