Best 7 string guitar out there?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by axb312, Jul 16, 2016.

1. axb312

axb312 SS.org Regular

Hey guys ,

Just wanted to take a poll, get your opinions on the best 7 string guitar out there right now!

Aspect's I'm interested in (pardon me if none of these terms are right/ make sense):
    1. Neck smoothness?
    2. Fret Size
    3. Tone - good clean as well as distorted? Tight and audible on all chord notes?
    4. Tuning lock or no lock?
    5. Truss rod adjustability and alternate tunings
    6. Price range - Im think 2.5-3 k USD?
    7. A whole bunch of stuff I'm sure I've missed out on!

:shred:

2. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

3. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

4. Zeus1907

Zeus1907 SS.org Regular

You are asking a very broad question.
    Depends on what style you are playing.

But honestly, you can't go wrong with a MusicMan. Either the JP models, or Majesty. They're almost the perfect guitar for versatility.
    Check out the Petrucci models online, I think you would be happy to get one; new or used. Seems as though every few weeks someone is selling an EBMM here.

5. Zeus1907

Zeus1907 SS.org Regular

These are phenomenal.

6. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

As far as I'm concerned, the ideal 7-string has to have fanned frets otherwise the low B gets flappy (or the high strings get too tight).

That narrows it down a little.

7. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Good point, but as always, it depends.

I think, the thread starter should answer the following questions:

1. Which tuning(s) do you want to use?
    2. Are you rhythm or also lead player?

The answers will lead to the scale length versus fanned frets question ;)

8. bzhan1

bzhan1 Banned

Or just buy the right strings, like 90+% of 7 string players who don't use fanned frets

OP's price ranges rules out most high end customs (unless used)
    A top of the line production model > lower end customs like Kiesel
    You're left with JPs and J customs which are the most complete and versatile in terms of trem, tone options, feel, looks etc

9. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Our friend is from Dubai ... I myself don't have any clue, what's available their at which prices ;) Maybe he has a chance to import from Europe? If yes, Mayones would be in his budget too.

10. Jzbass25

Jzbass25 SS.org Regular

Pretty hard to beat the Sugi shop too.

11. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Skervesen Custom Fanned Fret are pretty hard to beat and Mayones multiscale are two guitars that's pretty hard to beat in that price range.

12. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

OP, I would like to point out that this guy is a complete idiot, and was banned a couple weeks ago for making that fact incredibly public.

I wouldn't trust a damn word he says on any subject.

mod edit: personal attacks will get you banned every time... he expressed his opinion and wasn't obnoxious about it so nothing wrong there

13. axb312

axb312 SS.org Regular

Wow... A lot of brands I had never heard of before here.

I play metal mostly...both rhythm and lead.

Yes, I do live in Dubai so will have to import (possibly without ever seeing the thing).

I would also like to be able to do alternate/ lower tunings without sacrificing playability (scale length affect this right?)

I've personally used mostly Floyd rose guitars so far but don't see this being a case with a 7 string.

How about the Jackson HT7 - does it not belong on a best of list?

Also, can someone link me to a guide where I can find out more about guitar construction (woods, tops etc etc)

Thank you all!

14. bzhan1

bzhan1 Banned

The anger is strong with this one. Please back up your claims before you resort to derogatory name calling.

mod edit: let the mods handle stuff like this please

15. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Yes, let me summarize your demand: You want the best possible 7-string for a budget of 3000$, that allows alternate tunings and both rhythm and lead play.

Well, I have Mayones Regius Gothic in 25.4" scale, that is of superb quality and sound, but though it's phenomenal for lead, it's limited regarding alternate tunings ... the keyword is intonation, which is perfect with a .10-.56 Earnie Ball Slinkies string set, but will be off on the low B string if you use thicker strings to go below Drop A. But even Drop A can be tricky, if you are a hard picker.

This guitar is also available in 27" to solve this problem, but then you would need thinner treble strings for lead play.

This model costs around 2800€ in Germany and all Mayones are handmade in Poland, as Skervesen too. If you search for these brands here in the forum, you will find many stunning looking guitars and happy customers. As far as I know, both ship around the world, if you order from them directly ... which is a must with Skervesen as far as I know. Mayones can also be found in several shops in Europe and the USA. But the prices are much higher in the US.

But because you are forced to buy without playing it first, I think two things are very important:

1. We need to find a luthier / company, that produces constant good quality and that ships to Dubai ... and shipping should include a transport insurance!
    2. We need to find a guitar, that has the right specs: scale length, fanned frets or not, which fretboard radius, which woods, which shape, which pickups, which hardware, e.g. bridge.

Regarding point 2 ... do you have a chance to test some 7-strings in a shop in Dubai to find out, which guitars you like and which not? If not, experience with 6-strings might help at least to find the right specs regarding wood / pickup combination and hardware.

Ok, so the first specification is set ;)

I never played one, but when I see a very long thread about a Jackson Misha Mansoor Signature, that costs 3500€ in Germany, and where many people report quality control issues, I would never buy a Jackson without playing it first. Remember point 1 above: constant quality without quality control issues!

I myself would choose Mayones, because I was able to test several models (Setius, Duvell & Regius) both a 6- and 7-string version in a shop and all were superb without any flaws.

From what I read here in the forums, Skervesen (also handmade in Poland) are of similar quality, but as far as I know, they only build after ordering and the wait time is 6-11 months. The same wait time can happen with Mayones, if you choose a custom build, but also standard models require patience of 3-6 months, if it's not in stock.

For my taste Mayones has an advantage over Skervesen: they have a Plek machine to do a perfect(!) fret crowning job by CNC. Skervesen do it traditionally by hand as far as I know.

In case you should be interested in Mayones and have questions, maybe contact them directly by mail: international2@mayones.com

I had email correspondence with them and it was a pleasure.

A good starting point might be the luthier forum here at SSO or google for "guitar builder" to find tutorials and forums.

16. RuslanK

RuslanK SS.org Regular

Not everyone likes fanned frets. I would have chosen EB JP BFR or Majesty.

17. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

Yes, I think it's a huge risk, if you need to buy without testing first and never have played fanned frets before.

18. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

There is literally no risk. I can't think why anyone would dislike them. They fix the uneven string tension issues with regular 7-strings without resorting to longer scales for the rest of the strings, feel more comfortable to play than regular guitars and look pretty cool too. The only drawback I can think of is that replacement pickups are not available off the shelf and probably have to be custom ordered to get the right slant for whatever model you have.

For anything more than 6 strings you definitely want multiscale.

Since OP is in Dubai it's probably cheaper to buy something from a US luthier or factory. Kiesel would be pretty high up on my list if you like their models and they happen to ship to Dubai as they have pretty good prices, quality and options. While a single luthier made guitar will be a bit better, it's most likely not so much better to justify the price hike.

19. Aymara

Aymara SS.org Regular

It's no risk, if you know, that you are comfortable with fanned frets, but some people obviously don't. So yes, it is a risk, if you never ever had the chance to play fanned frets, right?

And we shouldn't forget, that fanned frets are usually much more expensive, right?

Shipping with transport insurance is cheaper from the US than from Europe to Dubai? Are you sure?

Other than that, from what I read, Kiesel doesn't have the same consistent quality as Mayones, which btw is much more expensive in the US. So if "cheaper" is really true, than only for US-made guitars, right?

20. RuslanK

RuslanK SS.org Regular

Fanned frets is a very specific theme. This innovative and trendy, but very individual. How many people have many opinions.