Berried Alive. I keep seeing this band on social media. Am I taking crazy pills?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Quantumface, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Dude has always worked hard and is a monstrous player more than capable of playing his songs, thats been clear since day 1 when he dropped the video for The Escapist Notion. I was just pointing out how I refused to believe that video was super edited tracks when people pointed it out on this site, but once you know what to listen for its obvious.

2. Lord Voldemort

Lord Voldemort SS.org Regular

Here's my thing, and I think that most posters are missing this point.

This kind of music isn't just listening, in fact it's probably just a little listening. Videos like this, really it's the thrill of watching a guitar player pull off virtuous and creative ideas at blistering speed with stunning accuracy. The product that he is selling, if you will, is the idea that a human being can pull that off at that speed and accuracy level, and you get a rush from seeing such acrobatics.

Problems are, firstly, you're not getting the product that you think you're getting. It's like getting a guitar with a veneer top when you were promised and thought you'd received quilt maple.

Secondly, there are people that can do this and actually pull it off on live videos, and you're stealing their business, and that's not fair because your product isn't real, and theirs' is. It's not like he's playing something pretty complex, like Faceless level, which you're bound to need a few punch-in's to nail, he's playing hyper edited, probably speed up virtuosic music on video, attracting the attention from real virtuousos and selling you a fake product.

And thirdly, anyone can do this, and part of the product he sells is the idea that most people can't. Anyone that can play intermediate level guitar can record crazy shit with sporadic, not thought out odd times at an excruciatingly slow pace and speed it up so it's rhythmically perfect and clean. I'm sorry, but it's true.

Recording music slowed down and editing it and selling it as not that is not fair, and a lie, and shouldn't be celebrated for anything other than the composition-and even then the dishonesty really dampens that for me.

But that's all just my opinion. If you like it, you like it.

3. Lord Voldemort

Double post.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire hardtail crusader

At least Muhammad and the guys could actually play their shit live :coffee:
    THM/Berried alive has shown that they really can't even play their stuff live

5. Stilicho

Stilicho SS.org Regular

Yeah Muhammad from Necrophagist is great live. I think Al from THM has worked on his chops a lot after being bullycided by Misha and most of the SS community though. If you watch his recent playthroughs you can see he's definitely playing the songs.

Not sure about Berried Alive though, the songs sound like they might be playable, but I can't tell since he won't post a live video of him playing. Their music is just a bit too djent-widdly for me to care much.

6. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

Did you forget a few words in your first statement or...? Unless the songs you're buying are completely different from the ones he may or may not be playing, you're getting exactly what you bought. Just because the techniques he used to record the music differ from what you thought they were doesn't mean he sold you a completely different product, it means that you were wrong.

The idea that Berried Alive is taking attention away from guys like Plini or Sithu Aye or the guys in Polyphia or anyone else who has insane chops is ridiculous. By that logic there should only be a few gigantic music acts around because they've taken away all the attention from smaller acts. People are completely free to pick and choose which artists they support and which ones they don't so someone buying a Berried Alive album has literally 0 effect on any other band other than Berried Alive. The Faceless aren't exactly the best band to bring up when you're talking about scummy business practices considering all the shit that Keene has been accused of and done. I honestly don't know why you'd bring them up since The Faceless have some really simple sections just like Berried Alive. Neither one of them are Viraemia or Brain Drill who are balls to the wall technical.

7. KnightBrolaire

I've seen muhammad and the guys twice live and they were awesome. Dying fetus is another band where guys play pretty technical metal and sound just as good as the album live. Periphery/Scale the Summit sound good/can play all of their parts at the couple of shows I saw them live at. I can understand writing for writing's sake (i've written shit in guitar pro/midi that I can't really play) and there are composers that do that a lot (Hans Zimmer), but I have a lot more respect for performers/composers that can actually play what they write. Francisco Tarrega (arguably the father of spanish classical guitar music) was a monstrous player and composer, same with Mauro Giuliani, Matteo Carcassi and a lot of other guitar composers.

Razerjack and Stilicho like this.
  8. Lord Voldemort

What? That's all a bunch of nonsense.

It's not just the music that people are looking at here, why do people pretend that?

It's a video of a guy playing the ridiculous music that you're watching, and you watch it because you're amazed that someone can do that, the same reason you watched videos of shred guitar in your teens. His product isn't just the music, it's the video of him playing it that people care about. I understand, people like the songs, but people stop and stare and watch because it's technically incredible, and comment as such, when it's edited to fuck and likely speed up. So, people are thinking it's someone that can actually play this and appreciating that, when it's not. It's not the product that they think they are getting.

That's the point, the Faceless was just an example of a band that requires some basic editing prowess to be done right, but aren't like this. Don't use that as a strawman to argue about integrity.

9. Stilicho

Stilicho SS.org Regular

Yeah same as me man. At the very least I like people to be honest if they can't play something on their instrument, then I don't mind so much. It's the fake pyrotechnics that I dislike.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  10. Acaciastrain360

Acaciastrain360 Agile INTERCEPTOR PRO 828 REST IN PISS

Any of you guys come across Berried Alive yet? The dude Charles Caswell along with his wife are killing it...
    some of the best riffing I’ve seen for death guitarists....

11. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

It's alright, not great; that can't forgive the super annoying marketing and social media presence.

12. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

my favorite jamba juice flavor

BlackMastodon likes this.
  13. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Nothing I haven't heard in some form or another a thousand times before.

14. KnightBrolaire

ahh nothing's quite like the sweet sound of midi guitars.
    >this is sarcasm

Ordacleaphobia, Randy and Djentlyman like this.
  15. Djentlyman

Djentlyman SS.org Regular

Some of his stuff is cool however I'd like to see a video of just him playing with no backing track. It all sounds a bit too "processed" to be legit.

GunpointMetal and Jacksonluvr636 like this.
  16. Kaura

Kaura #Make:cool:SmileyCoolAgain

It's cool but the diminished/chromatic/nintendo/whatever tapping licks got old in 2009...

17. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

He comes up with some really cool sounding bits but he can't write a whole song to save his life.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  18. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I don't care for his music in the slightest but I am curious what his recording process is like. He gets some cool sounds sometimes.

19. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

It's awesome hearing the synthetic production taken to this level - love it

20. ThePIGI King

ThePIGI King Death Will Reign

Video seems weird, the strings vibrate exagerated on my phone. Kinda okay, instrumental chugging is super boring, only to be broken up by some super processed leads written by Lucas Mann Jr over here.

Don't me wrong, some of his work is good, this seems like a more boring one. And he plays real well, it would seem. Husband/wife combo is the pinnacle of marriage goals :lol:

Acaciastrain360 likes this.