Berried Alive. I keep seeing this band on social media. Am I taking crazy pills?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Quantumface, Feb 6, 2018.

1. hmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmm SS.org Regular

^ I'm terrible with analogies: the post

2. teqnick

teqnick The only person that liked the new Faceless album

not particularly an analogy, but we'll wait for SSO's in house 8th grade teacher on that one.

the post

3. hmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmm SS.org Regular

what is it then

4. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

I can see why people dislike this sort of thing so much. Personally I don't think it's that worth getting worked up about, it's certainly not going to "kill metal", we've had super-clean, ultra-quantised bedroom djent stuff for a decade now and metal has continued on it's course of lessening popularity since the death of Nu metal, much like it did in the 90s when hair and thrash metal fell out of fashion. Everyone stop worrying, no matter what the "mainstream" part of metal is doing, there will always be cool metal bands on the sidelines, making very little money and touring incessantly to live.

With regard to this actual project / band thing, I don't like it but that's just me. I actually think the second piece of music in the "best of" video is a pretty cool piece but overall it's just noisy djent tech chug, not really what I'm into. If you like it, awesome, if you don't like it then move on and listen to something else.

What I don't like about this is the inference from reading the YouTube stuff, is that these are genuine performances or takes that haven't been subject to staggering amounts of processing to get them to sound as they do in the videos. Play along videos are cool if it's for demonstration purposes but they should be clearly marked as such, which they aren't. A big, big part of music for me is the human element. I like to know a human performed it, I look up to wizards that have absolute mastery attained through practice and talent. Programmed music does nothing for me, even when I think it sounds good, I like to know there is a performance happening, not just an execution of a programmed composition in a piece of computer software. I love live music, I love improvisational music.

This sort of ultra-processed stuff just has no human character or soul to it - totally subjective and impossible to quantify I know, but it's completely lacking to me. They could be the most amazing compositions, but I lose a huge amount of engagement when listening because I know it's not real.

The great irony is that I do love technical, difficult to play music, try CAB for example - technical brilliance of the highest order, but with all the squeaks, squawks and the occasional bum note you'd expect from human players, playing demanding technical music in an improvisational setting. Now that really gets me interest and if they pro-tooled the bum notes up to the right pitch and took the string noise out, the hum on the mic etc, it would lose something for me. Everyone is different though, listen to what you like and like what you listen to.

couverdure likes this.
  5. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

:lol:

Is your only retort that I actually put some thought into a post and reply to what others were saying? Not my fault you can't comprehend nuance and basic understanding of human interaction, but I'll leave it at that. Because I wasn't even talking to you in the first place so I'm not going to bother arguing with someone I wasn't even speaking to.

6. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

I think at the end of the day, everyone is going to have their own interpretation of what’s acceptable when writing/advertising music. And of course, this is a message board, so you’re all more than entitled to talk about and discuss it, but realistically, it’s this guy’s creation. If he doesn’t want to address hostile people, he doesn’t have to. At the end of the day, who really gives a shit?? Go on and listen to what you want, write what you want, and do what you want.

7. hmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmm SS.org Regular

is this guy for real? his arguments are basically "it's okay to cheat and delete any criticism" and the argument in the quote is essentially saying NO U

8. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Not what I said at all, but feel free to change my point to fit your narrative all you want. It's all there written clear as day, don't think we need your botched interpretations of a fairly simple point I made.

I don't feel like reiterating what I said, so just go back and reread it. If you still can't take anything away from it, then agree to disagree and go enjoy your weekend.

9. hmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmm SS.org Regular

I already read and responded to it..which you refused to respond to because you have no answer. We can do this all night..

10. hmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmm SS.org Regular

in a nutshell:

if you post something online..you've entered a contract with the world that people can respond to it and give you feedback. It's fine to delete egregiously awful shit, but if you delete people calling you out for your bs (The Faceless...RoS...to a lesser extent Obscura) it will affect your reputation. You cannot have fame without critics...and the internet is full of them because people online demand high character. That's how it works. If you have shit character you deserve to be shit on.

11. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

What a constructive and thought provoking response :coffee: if you respond to me like a child who can't understand that other people have different viewpoints than you, then there's no point in indulging you.

Cheers man, I definitely don't plan on continuing this all night, feel free to with someone else though. I was never even speaking to you in the first place like I mentioned prior. :cheers:

12. hmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmm SS.org Regular

Very sick quote mine, dawg. Everyone knows quote miners win e-arguments lol

13. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

the sexual tension between you two is getting me all sweaty

14. hmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmm SS.org Regular

Location checks out

15. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

16. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Just had to chime in on the obscura part... How are they lesser?

Steffan goes around claiming copyright on things that aren't even his, fakes music videos, and tries to destroy and defame the career of anyone who calls him out. He's done a lot of damage to Tom fountainhead for no real reason. He's worse than the faceless and RoS in my opinion.

17. hmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmm SS.org Regular

I actually forgot about most of that Obscura stuff, so you're right. I forgot how much of a piece of shit Steffan is.

cip 123 likes this.
  18. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

So, he makes the kind of music that anal-retentive guitar geeks are gonna pick apart... and he fakes it...

That's like... asking Neil Degrasse Tyson to review your astrophysics book claiming the Earth is flat- you know what's gonna happen, right?!

Eptaceros and HeHasTheJazzHands like this.
  19. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Jeez, had no clue he was that much of a douchecanoe.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  20. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Tom put it well once. Everyone who has "left" Obscura (or still in) keeps in touch and collaborates with each other. No one keeps in touch or collaborates with Steffan.

In fact bringing him up, he does more damage to this genre than Charles Caswell/Berried Alive. Charles is solo. The point that he's hurting no one gets thrown around a lot here and it's basically true.

Steffan is hurting people, and their career's. The music video for Akrosis, still has Tom's solo in it (as stated by Tom himself) yet it has Rafael miming it well before he was shown to actually know it. Steffan attacks anyone who says he's bad to work with and drags their name through the dirt. Hard. He won't give credit to Tom Fountainhead for songs he's written, gives no royalties for performance or songwriting, does everything to minimise what Tom did and stop him posting videos gaining any form of credit etc.

If theres anyone people should be turning on it's Steffan. He gives a bad name to metal and he's a bad person in general. Screw what Charles/Berried Alive is doing solo from his home making a living for himself with his own music, real or not whatever you define as real. There should be a 7 page thread about Steffan attacking fellow musicians.

Jonathan20022 and couverdure like this.