Berried Alive. I keep seeing this band on social media. Am I taking crazy pills?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Quantumface, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Quantumface

Quantumface SS.org Regular

This guy has been coming up in sponsored videos on my Facebook, as well as ads from Legator guitars and such. Something just seems odd to me about all his videos, yet all the comments on Youtube, Facebook, Instagram etc. are nothing but gushing praise over this guy's abilities. Dont get me wrong, he is clearly skilled, but with all the camera work, audio production and editing, the midi-like tone, something isnt adding up to me. Plus, there isnt a single video that ive found with actual live audio/camera audio of him playing anything at all. Seems like another recording at half speed kinda guy. I can appreciate the originality but it just doesn't pass the smell test to me, maybe im crazy though.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    GunpointMetal likes this.
  2. BangandBreach

BangandBreach Kaboom.

And if it doesn't pass your smell test? Then what? What exactly is the problem here?

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire hardtail crusader

he falls into the dan james griffin category of "pantomimes to a midi guitar track". I've watched a fair number of his videos/stuff and I'd say nearly all of it is pantomimed to midi.
    Nothing wrong with using midi as a composition tool but when you're passing off the midi track as something you actually play that's pretty shitty imo. It's extremely disingenuous.

4. KyleG

KyleG SS.org Regular

I mean, it's obvious not a live take but some of the ideas sound cool

5. Quantumface

Then he is forbidden to continue to play music!

No, obviously it doesn't matter what I think, which is where I'm sure you're going with your comment. I just don't wanna support disingenuous musicians, that's all. You can if you want, if you fall under the "It doesn't matter, its just about the music in the end" category.

Hollowway likes this.
  6. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

You might not want to support him but you're definately pushing him with this thread........I never heard of him......now I have to go watch his stuff :lol:def not trying to be a dick but in the future just keep it to yourself if you don't want to support these kinda guys :cheers:

mphsc likes this.
  7. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Charles is a fantastic player, and he can play most of this stuff pretty cleanly. What most people have a problem with is when they understand he's miming to his recorded audio take, and people are either in the "Ok whatever" camp, or the "What a hack, this disqualifies his talent".

And you probably won't find footage of this live since this isn't a live act AFAIK. The farthest thing to live you can find is him playing in Reflections and any youtube videos he may have done prior to starting his own project.

This is a very very different situation from let's say, Lucas Mann. Who couldn't play his material and trolled the internet at nearly ever opportunity when people would scrutinize him over his playing.

Berried Alive itself isn't the kind of music I enjoy, it's way too out there and got too much happening at various points.

Masoo2, schwiz, couverdure and 2 others like this.
  8. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

Less berried and more buried for this dude.

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I think the only thing that people seem to hear that they dont like appears to be automated controlled affects over this playing.

Like EQ sweeps and those horrible (in a good way) harmonies in places (where its the same thing just played a semitone up or down)
    So because it kicks itself in and out automatically with his playthroughs people are like "this shit is so fake"

Ive done this myself live. I had harmonies for tapping sections and during solos kick in and out automatically.

I personally love his style. Its making me gas for at least 1 guitar with a killswitch

10. Quantumface

I think these clearly aren't live play-throughs, so I see no reason to believe all these effects were live and not added post-production, but I take no issue with that stuff anyways. He has obviously no qualms with his over-the-top and stylistic use of post-production so I don't see why he'd have any problems with behind the scenes doctoring of his playing as well. I hope im wrong, but I'm just not buying it.

lewis likes this.
  11. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

He's got a couple of unedited "tutorials" for some of the riffs.......also old Reflections playthroughs are partly unedited iirc - even back then he/they were a fan of the squiggly wiggly wih wah effects ;)
    Don't know how clean he'll be able to play the stuff if he were to try and do a whole song in one take but he can definately play the parts.

12. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I think he can definitely play the parts, though I don't think he's worried about full songs live etc. He was in Reflections (when they were doing crazy stuff) and he's all about being an independent musician, I've bought a few of his tabs and it's definitely playable just takes a good bit of practice, and he practices a lot I believe.

I've also added a bunch of harmonies to tapped stuff I've done before and it makes things sound a lot more chaotic than standard, so when you hear it, it sounds mental but it's actually not.

If you heard Jason Richardson in a similar context would you question him? He's got some very midi sounds on his album, but he's done a lot live. Charles doesn't really like touring much, he has a little book out on his pitfalls in the industry which was quite an interesting read.

Here's a couple tutorials, you can hear in the 2nd one his tone is pretty digital and gated to sh*t, but he does play the riffs at pretty much full at points.

13. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I really, really, really, wanna like this, but I'm kinda in the same boat. I want just like ONE live playthrough video of a whole song, with just drums and bass..no harmonies, no extra guitars. I love this kind of music, but I'd like to see it live, which will never happen, so I kinda ignore it when it pops up on FB so I don't get too excited.

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

NEVERMIND

15. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Apologies in advance but

16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Nothing in his video playthroughs is recorded by conventual means. He edits every note together one by one and then mimes along to it. In the 2nd video listen to how there is zero note bleed from one note to another, no slides and everything is surgically perfect in length and on the beat. Thats perfectly fine for albums, so many bands do that and it can sound fantastic but I find it a but much when he makes videos pretending to play with his foot or boasting about his skill. There was a FB post where he was called out on it and admitted to it but said he wouldn't make live play throughs.

Its the equivalent of taking a 10KG weight, writing in another 0 at the end, lifting it once, then looping the footage 10 times so people think you lifted 100kgs 10 times. Anyone can do that. The guy might be an incredible player, I'm sure he is to write this kind of music but there is little skill in doing recordings/videos like this, s**t ton of editing though, can't imagine trying to edit together a million takes in a hyper technical piece like that.

It works for him and he's gotten quite popular doing it so fair play. The guitar scene is completely over saturated at the moment so I guess you have to resort to things like this to stand out.

17. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

I'm in the category of "Who Cares" because I don't like the music whether actually played or not.

BangandBreach likes this.
  18. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

If your called out on something like this, you follow it up with a bitchin video showing that you can in fact play it. If he didn’t make that vid, he can’t play this shit. Seems shady as fuck and have no respect for someone like that. Does that mean the music bad? No. But don’t lie about what your capable of.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  19. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

came to post

Malevolent_Croatian likes this.
  20. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Thanks Vinnie Vincent.