Bend vibrato vs slide vibrato

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Spaced Out Ace, Jul 29, 2017.

Bend vs slide vibrato?

1. Bend vibrato

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Slide vibrato

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Both/depends on context

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

My favorite of all has to be Ace Frehley, who's got an awesome, slow and wide vibrato, though not always. He made it fit the tempo and feel of the song.

2. Spaced Out Ace

Enough with the country music already. :lol:

3. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Ace Frehley is so meh IMO compared to every other one of those other guitarists... including the country ones lol. Slightly above average pentatonic player, but nothing special. But a gifted performer who inspired many to pick up a guitar. Slash was another. Nothing new, nothing special, but dayum if he isn't one of the most iconic players of the 80s, and Appetite is a landmark album fo sho (*cough* Izzy *cough*).

And I forgot, this is SSO. More notes = better lol.

4. Spaced Out Ace

If you say so, but I don't agree at all. The missing link between Jimmy Page and EVH is Ace.

5. USMarine75

EVH inspired way more, had one of the (if not, THE) signature guitar tones of all time, was innovative with both gear and technique, etc. Ace Frehley mostly riffed super basic pentatonic licks, and sometimes not all that well, in a post-punk guitar-by-the-numbers band. Most guitarists playing for a year or two can nail a Kiss song. I don't want to go down this road, but... 90% of the professional guitarists out there can't rip one note as good as Otis Rush or Sam Maghett, especially most metal guitarists that just play fast, heavily distorted and effected, and with about as much feel as a leper. YMMV.

Also, Van Halen was around just as long as Kiss, they just weren't as famous until 4 years later (1978 vs 1974). No missing link. Hell, Johnny Winter was ten times the guitarist and musician than Ace could ever be, if you want someone in between to idolize lol.

edit: I take back some of what I said, this was some pretty great stuff for '77 by Ace:

^ He definitely saved his best playing for solos. The in-song solos are still cupcake by-the-numbers and pretty blah. But there's a lot going on here.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  6. Spaced Out Ace

Post-punk in a band that is pre-punk. Uh, okay dude. And I'm not going to argue that the dude wasn't sloppy, because he certainly can be sloppy as fuck. And frankly, you couldn't pay me to listen to any of the shit you've shared thus far in this thread. No offense, but I'll pass on all of it. Other than BB King and SRV, which I'd maybe listen to once a year if that, the rest bore me to tears.

7. USMarine75

"shit" lololololol um ok. Are you like 14? Yes, Roy, Danny, Brad, Albert, are all shit music and shit guitarists bahaha. Country and blues suck too. :lol:

And my apologies for wrongly calling them "post-punk". I admit I know shit about music (obviously). I grew up listening to kiss in the early 80's so when I typed post-punk at 4am I was reminiscing lololol... you clearly proved me wrong and win the internets today.

8. Spaced Out Ace

Yes, I'm 14 because I found the music you've posted in this thread boring. Astute observation, Watson.

9. USMarine75

No you're 14 because you personally don't like or appreciate something, so you call it shit and boring lol. Whatevs, bruh. All good. :cond:

You asked about vibrato and I tried to educate you as to different techniques of vibrato (lineage) and you referred to it as shit and boring. Which is fine by me... I can save a lot of time not coming back to this thread and sharing. Thanks! :coffee:

10. Spaced Out Ace

Okay. I don't like country or blues; they don't entertain me all that much. Sue me. I do find it kinda funny how much a word like shit, which was used flippantly, has affected you so much though. I also don't care much for djent and death metal, because get this... it doesn't resonate with me at all. What a concept.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Not to wade into this one, but I think you don't have to like or apppreciate country to realize how staggeringly good a guitarist like, say, Danny Gatton was. Holy shit that guy could play. I actually had a reputation back in college (which was a long time ago, I'm afraid) for occasionally taking a slide solo with a beer bottle during gigs, and I always felt a little guilty about that because it was something I had very consciously borrowed from Danny Gatton, but of course no one else on campus outside of a handful of other guitarists had any idea who that was. :lol:

Another thing on vibrato, of course, is you don't have to choose just one - I tend towards a "blues" style vibrato, one finger, kind of shakking your wrist to bend it in and out of tune, etc. However, on occasion I'll definitely use a slow "classical" vibrato if I want something more controlled and even, or a bar vibrato if I want something more exaggerated. Long term goal is to get my "blues" style vibrato more controlled rhythmically, and get a more even, rhythmic bent note release-and-re-bend vibrato, and develop more conscious control of the speed, rather than just kind of subconsciously falling into whatever sort of groove.

12. Rizzo

Rizzo SS.org Regular

Well guys are we discovering tastes are subjective? Chill down, hey. To each his own.

Back on topic: I usually use the "classical" horizontal vibrato for chords, and occasionally for single notes that should maintain a kind of "pitch composure", so to speak, for instance if I have other ringing notes going on at the same time in the background.
    For anything else and 99% of the time in general, I'd go for "rock" aggressive "vertical" wrist vibrato as I really love the wide effect. I think Malmsteen has my favorite vibrato, even if I never enjoyed his music that much.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  13. CerealKiller

CerealKiller SS.org Regular

Check out Greg Howe's slidy vibrato thing as well.

14. ite89

ite89 SS.org Regular

I usually bend vibrato, but I'd love to learn how to execute a good slide vibrato. From what i understand it's quite similar to playing slide guitar. But i don't really know the mechanics very well, but i am trying to practice the technique more.

15. USMarine75

Greg Koch had a lesson about it somewhere. Basically same approach as bending. Pick a note and a target note.

E.g. on B-string, 8 to 10 which is G to A.

So a typical bend approach (in Key of A) would be 7 on G-string, 5-(8) hammer-on on B-String, then slide up to 10, and back and forth 2 times = 8-10-8-10-8, then (8)-5 pull-off, and then 7 on G-string. Important - usually the slide is done at 2x the speed of the riff.

BTW for whatever reason I find the easiest strings for me to nail this on are the G and D strings. You can also experiment with 1-1/2 step vibrato slides (like 7th-10th frets). It's all about muscle memory.

You'll find this technique is far more common in fusion and jazz (or modern metal shred like Polyphia, Exivious, Ed Garcia, etc), than blues and rock. Check out Tom Quayle as well, I think he also had a lesson about this.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    ite89 likes this.