Bell like sound on fret 8?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by IdentityDevice, Nov 8, 2017.

1. IdentityDevice

IdentityDevice SS.org Regular

Hey gang. So on my PRS SE Holcomb I can't seem to get rid of the bell like overtone sound that is happening on the 4th string mainly on the 7th and 8th fret. I checked the neck and it had a noticeable relief bow going on so I tightened it and raised the action quite a bit and it's still doing it. To the point where I don't even want to play it. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

2. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Does it still happen if you press the headstock against a wall while you play those notes? I had a Schecter that had weird sounds on the G string around the 13th fret...turned out there was some sort of weird counter-resonance happening in the wood of the neck where a G#-ish not would basically die out after a quick "bell-like" attack tone. But if I pressed the point of the headstock against a wall it changed the way the neck would vibrate and the note would sustain normally. It was pretty bizarre.

3. IdentityDevice

that's pretty crazy man. I'll try it and let you know haha

4. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Try playing in a different room and see if it goes away. Room might have a resonance at that frequency, for example mine has one at around 120-130 Hz which means playing B or C on the low E sounds quite boomy.

5. IdentityDevice

Thanks for the responses guys. This seems like more of a tech issue to me. I tried the pressing the headstock up against the wall thing. Didn't change anything. Also this isn't as noticeable when it's plugged in or running though speakers. It's mainly noticeable when i'm playing it just acoustically. Not sure if it's the nut or a high fret or something like that or just the setup. Like I mentioned before the neck had a relief bow and low action and was doing it and I tightened the truss rod to make it pretty much straight and raised the action and it's still doing it. So weird haha It has 10-52's and is in drop C#.