Behringer MX2004A Mixer

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Rev2010, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

This is one of their older models but I'm posting a review anyway as this review probably applies to their newer models as well.

This mixer has 8 mic channels and 4 stereo line channels. No built in effects or anything, just a good ol' fashion mixer. It came with rackmount rails; something Mackie charges retarded prices for ($56 for rack rails?). In the past I've had a Mackie 1604 and it was amazing. This Behringer while not "amazing" is certainly a very good mixer and does what it's supposed to do. It's very very quiet. I don't hear any noise coming out of it at regular operating levels and all. It has a second bus called ALT 3-4 which sadly does not have balanced outs. So I use the main outs for recording to my PC and the ALT 3-4 for monitoring the other tracks. The pre's in this mixer probably aren't near as good as all the new hyped up tech pre's but I've recorded tons of vocals through them and everything always sounded perfect using a Rode NT1. This mixer was a fraction of the price of a Mackie which is why I went with it back then. Literally it was like $400 cheaper and they still are. I have to say for this price difference the quality you get is outstanding. I use mine in my home recording space and have never taken it outside so I have no idea how it would hold up for gigging but I've read some reviews of the new ones that say they're not good for gigging as they're aluminum instead of steel (Mackie's are steel).

Now for the bad parts - and they're minimal. I can't for the life of me figured out why the hell Behringer didn't make the ALT 3-4 outs balanced! How much extra would it have cost? Probably nothing. Where's the thinking?? Futhermore, the Control Room outs are unbalanced as well! Yet they're studio monitors have XLR and balanced 1/4" jacks. So my studio monitors are connected unbalanced. It's not all that big of a deal as I can't hear any difference in quality and I'm not running 90 foot long cables but the point is should everything be connectable in the best possible way?

The second bad part probably shouldn't be called a bad part cause it's a feature that only more expensive mixers have, even Mackie 1402VLZ's don't have this feature though the 1642VLZ's do. I would like seperate controls for the headphone and the control room (studio monitors). Sometimes you need to turn down the studio monitors and just listen through headphones. Not only that but sometimes I want to turn up the headphone volume which winds up turning up the monitors too darn loud since it's the same control.

I've had this mixer for many many years now and it has never failed me. It's certainly worth more than I paid for it for all I've gotten out of it. I never cover my mixer ever and now after all these years (had it for like 6-7 years) I'm getting some occasional scratchiness when turning some pots and also sometimes on the 1/4" inputs like the headphone jack. I'm sure a can of compressed air will fix this but since I want seperate controls for headphones and monitors and since I've always wanted all the outs to be balanced I think I'll soon be getting a Mackie 1642. You know... after seven years you just feel like an upgrade.

I don't know how the new mixers are but I feel they're probably even better their older ones though I haven't worked with them so I can't confirm this. I'll say though I highly recommend their mixers especially if your budget minded and don't need the absolute top of the line.

Rev.