Beginning to workout and Looking for advice

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by KMunDy1303, Oct 25, 2017.

1. KMunDy1303

KMunDy1303 Got Emotion?

Hey all,

I've recently decided that I want to start exercising and getting into shape. I'm not looking to get fitness model ripped or anything; just overall healthier and physically self-confident.

I am male, 32 years old, 5' 11" ish, 205-210 lbs. Most of the noticeable fat is in my lower torso. My eating habits aren't terrible but I know what I should be doing to help myself out. Too much beer and lazy portion control.

Currently I cant honestly do more than 8 push-ups and 2 or 3 pull-ups with good form towards the end. Not sure where I'm at with my lower as I've always had solid legs; played soccer, ran track, lots of backpacking when I was younger.

My problem is mostly not knowing where/how to start as far as routines and whatnot goes. I'm looking more into body weight exercises as I dont have the space for equipment at home and am not wanting to go to a gym starting out. I know if I go to a gym I'll star looking into classes and/or trainers and I'm not sure at the moment if financially that's a god idea for me.

Most everything I've looked into online as far as body weight warm ups and routines looks like its dynamic stretching with s few body weight exercises for the warm up, and then more of the same body weight movement and some more advanced exercise for the main routine. I.e., stretch this group, stretch that group, some push ups, some squats, some light cardio for your warm up; more push ups, more squats, dips, pull-ups for the main routine.

Is that really it for the basics? I have a tendency to over-analyze and look for the negative with most things so I'm not sure if I am in this case or if there is something I am missing. If it is that simple then any recommendations? I like structured and logical (can't think of a better word to use here) processes.

Cardio wont be a problem for me. I live next to a few schools I can run after hours and I have a stationary recumbent bike I recently purchased and haven't used too much.

Thank you in advance.

2. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

The best way to start is to just start.

Those warm up exercises that you found online are a start.
    The next day, do some small weights or resistance exercises at home.
    You do not need equipment to go for a short jog the following day.

To see results, you really have to just keep going once you start. Exercise frequently and increase your times, increase repetitions, or increase weight frequently.

At the beginning of July, I was having a rough time even doing 40 minutes of solid cardio on an exercise bike without hitting a wall of just not wanting to do any more with that bike's setting on 4 or 5. By the end of August (doing just 2-3 times a week, some shorter workouts) I was doing pretty well with the resist setting at 8 for 45 minutes without struggling. It may take a few weeks to start seeing improvements, but you will see them.

Good luck and just remember to keep going!

CrazyDean likes this.
  3. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems Contributor

Always track your progress, you'll have a greater sense of achievement once weekly goals start accruing and you can really see how far along you've come.

I use the FitNotes app for both cardio and lifting, it's a great simple tool for keeping track of your achievements.

4. Semi-pro

Semi-pro SS.org Regular

^ Yes, track your progress. There will be times you might feel like going nowhere. If you have tracked your body weight, measures and the actual weights, then at least some of them (if not all) will prove that you are going somewhere.

There are plenty of example workout programs online. One way to start is Arnold's "Golden six".

Extra 2 cents:
    Don't underestimate the power of "maintenance" (don't know the term in english), which can basically be just a 1 hour without getting exhausted, 1-2 times a week. The point is to cleanse the muscles from metabolic waste (again, not sure of the term) through increased blood circulation. But you must take it easy and keep your heartrate down. If your breathing is getting heavy, it's too much and your body will switch onto another gear, which will in turn end up as more metabolic waste in your muscles. Think of it as taking out the trash in order to use that space to store energy.

Neglecting this might stop your progress. It happened to me recently, I could barely finish my workouts (with hands shaking) and I actually had to use lighter weights than what I was used to. But even after 1-2 walks I was back on track again.