BC Rich Steve Smyth Sig

Discussion in 'Guitar Reviews' started by murakami, Aug 22, 2011.

1. murakami

murakami Banned

[​IMG]Hi all,

this is a review on the bc rich steve smyth sig.

my opinion is non biased; i am not a fan of steve smyth, and to be honest, was a huge lover of bc rich. this has changed that... to a
    degree.

sound: the guitar is equipped with emgs. emg 81-7 in the bridge and a emg707 in the neck. i felt this combo is better than the two 707's found in
    most 7 string guitars that have the active pickup setup. the 81-7, for me, and for this kind of wood, is well suited. for the most part, actives will make most guitars sound the same, regardless of wood... however, i still feel that 707s sound amazingly vibrant in an ash body, and in a mahogony or alder body; sounds very stale(my esp sounds dead with a 707 in the bridge) the tone is alright... not great. if you like emgs, then it'll suit you... i'd rather have seymour duncan blackouts though to be honest if
    i had to go active.

features: two volume and one tone set up. i dont think this is of much benefit unless you wish to do a killswitch effect where you lessen the volume on the neck and switch back and forth from the bridge to the neck, or vice versa. it's not the ideal way to do a kill switch, but the good
    thing is, is that you have an extra volume knob to convert into a kill switch, if you choose to do so. :)

comes with a korean/china made original floyd rose. no complaints... seems ok.

action, fit, finish: action, i set it up myself. guys who sent it don't give a shit about it being setup or not. ok... so this guitar plays great. i really like the neck, it has a good weight to it, and it looks pretty bad ass... with that being said, the korean factory that makes bc rich guitars have to hold their standards to a higher degree interms of cosmeticness. the craftsmanship of the guitar is great! comparable to a prestige in everyway because it plays very well! i like the neck and the cutaway on the back of the guitar on the lower neck, AMAZING! whoevers idea it was to do the cutaway on stock bc rich guitars, i commend you! that is a custom shop thing done on a factory guitar :)

however, the guitar is obviously a b stock because of its visual flaws. i mean, even schecter will label a guitar a b stock with the slightest visual flaw(i see tons of them on ebay). this doesn't do anything to the tone nor the playability... i guess i am more mad at the fact that the factory of bc imported guitars doesn't give a shit about stuff like this. nor does the person i bought it from.

customer support: i purchased this guitar online from ***** farm. the thing is that i put a down payment for the guitar at the beginning of namm winter 2010 when i saw the guitar. the guitar then claimed it was going to be sent to me in three to 5 weeks... it took 6 months... on top of that, the guitar which was sent had cosmetic flaws... now i dont know about you, but i like to receive a new looking guitar when i pay for a new guitar, right? the end result was i got some bucks knocked off but i am still not happy about the situation. i will not do business with them again. did i mention that i was charged international shipping when i live in canada? i had to bring that up as well... if i hadn't compared the price on ebay then i would have been lost an extra 100.

keep in mind the guy who handles the deal is nice. he's not a bad guy. just really misinformed about the stuff which is why it took so long etc...

final thoughts. the guitar plays well, no doubt about it. but i dont think i will get a bc rich guitar anymore after this. i was really upset about being shipped a b stock when paying for full price, but i got over it... but what pissed me off is that the people that gave them negative feedback have claimed the same thing. well anyways; the review is of the guitar, not the
    vender :p

the guitar is alright, but if you want to take a chance at getting a b stock, be cautious. this is not the first i received a bc rich with a flawed
    something. this time was merely cosmetic. last time it was a fretboard
    problem.

2. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

The Steve Smyth sig isn't an Ignitor? WTF.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Do you have any real pictures of it? I've yet to see one of these "in the wild".

4. murakami

murakami Banned

i'll post some when i get home :)

keep in mind the guitar does play very well. it's just i am a little butt hurt from the cosmetic flaws which i am sure a professional would not do.

5. Ironbird

Ironbird Kahler Abuser

murakami -

Your negative experiences with this guitar isn't the fault of BC Rich, but Music Farm. I've had a similar experience dealing with them - they sent me the wrong guitar (not the one I ordered) and paid me money to keep the guitar.

The fact that the guitar they sent cost more than the guitar I wanted doesn't matter - it's just not the guitar I wanted and paid for. I live halfway around the world, and I guess they just didn't want to deal with the shipping fees.

JJ Rodriguez -

Steve is a huge fan of BC Riches and he owns quite a few of them. He has been using his Bich live for a long time now. I hope this sheds some light on this mystery! I would've wanted it to be an Ignitor too, but it's not my call to make! :lol:

6. murakami

murakami Banned

[​IMG]

you're right. this is the fault of music farm. i'd still like bc rich to have a
    better inspection on their own part for their distribution of imported
    guitars.

still, it's a very nice, well made guitar. :) ~ very good neck and feel for it!:shred:

i hope you guys can see the cut away properly. it really does a chunk of difference.

7. Ironbird

Ironbird Kahler Abuser

My NT (China) Warlock had the same cutaway - it feels great, doesn't it?

BC Rich has some amazing necks for sure, but my friends who prefer thinner necks hate them! :lol:

I like a nice, sturdy-feeling neck so they work out for me! :yesway:

8. murakami

murakami Banned

i hate really thin necks and was told to stay away from the musicman jp7
    because of how i like esp sized ones.

yeah, the guitar is made in korea, but aside from the cosmetic flaw, theres no difference in build quality when you compare to japan. straight up awesome guitar. the neck, as you said, really great. :shred:

i just cant get over that cut away. just awesome :metal: