Batman/Superman Movie 2015

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by UltraParanoia, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

I kept laughing at all of the slow mo shots. The character motivations were dumb, the plot contrived, Jesse Eisenberg was a ....ty Joker imitation, and the ending fight very meh. Huge miss and a wasted opportunity.

2. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

saw this on youtube

does anybody knows what this means? or who is that guy? or what?

speaking off did anyone stayed till the end credits?. I couldnt be bothered so dont know if there was something after the credits

Funny how that "deleted scene" is on the WB youtube account. So what, now this is going to be a regular thing? like the fact that now almost every movie has to have a end of credits scene?, so now there would be "deleted" scenes on youtube after the movie things?, please dont make this a thing

3. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

In comparison to Marvel movies I think it's far too much too soon. Marvel hinted at a wider world in its first standalone movies (Iron Man hints at SHIELD, IM2 hints at Captain America and post-credits set up Thor, both of which set up elements which come together in the Avengers, by the time Phase 2 comes around the universe is all set up and you can have movies with talking raccoons and trees and set up Netflix shows without having to go "OK so we live in a world where the Norse pantheon are real people and billionaires fly around in mechanical armour suits fighting terrorists with a 90-year-old WW2 vet and a big green dude"). DC seems like they've put all of the stuff in the parentheses into one movie, and forgot that even with all that stuff, Phase 1 Marvel movies have plots that hold together without the "OMG guys Thanos wants his cosmic cube back" stuff.

Here? It's all "OMG GUYS A BIG FITE IS COMING SEE LOOK THERE'S GON' HAVE TO BE A LEAGUE FOR GREAT JUSTICE," with not enough reason to care about the plot of the current movie.

I prefer world building to be subtle, like in the original Star Wars trilogy or the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I get that DC are making up for lost time and want to fast-forward to the main event of the Justice League, but it felt like sensible plot decisions were overridden in favour of setting up the future of the franchise.

like the gorram encrypted files. Was there any reason for that other than to set up the Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman? And why did Lex freaking Luthor give them their logos? No plot reason, just throwaway "hey guys we're setting up a uuuuuniverssse" padding.

Still, Batfleck was cool and Wonder Woman didn't disappoint too much. Movie let down by trying too much long-term set up for too little short-term pay off.

4. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

not quite. Transformers was partially funded by a Chinese movie studio so the film could skirt the 2 week theatrical release rule for Hollywood films.

5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I wish they were a thing, I'd rather go home and watch them on YouTube than sit through a list of CGI artists in the theater for 10 minutes to see it!

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I know DC wants to do Justice League so bad because of the Avengers, but that's the wrong reason to want to do it. Maybe I'm just saying that as someone who is not really a fan of DC outside of Batman.

This whole movie seems like a set-up for more merchandising. Introducing more characters means selling more action figures, right? The fact of the matter, though, is that no one cares about Aquaman, Elongated Man, or Martian Manhunter. I'd argue that characters like Green Lantern, the Flash, and Green Arrow are most popular now (as opposed to any other time period), and they still aren't to the level of popularity of Marvel's characters. DC has to think outside of the box Marvel pioneered, or risk coming off as "me too!" If DC and Marvel were playing poker, DC would have the ace of spades with Batman, and the jack of hearts with Superman, then a couple off-suit low number cards with Green Lantern, the Flash, even Wonder Woman. Marvel has a straight flush with the X-Men, or the ace of diamonds with Spider Man (which, sadly, they traded to Disney), and the whole rest of the diamond face cards with the rest of the Avengers.

7. awake69

awake69 SS.org Regular

This is the exact reason I have to laugh when WB and the fanboys explain the grim and dark themes and plotlines are because these films are more "adult themed" and an alternative to the shiny/happy Marvel films. If that were so, why are they being marketed so heavily at children? Go to any Target, WalMart and look in the toy aisles...and these aren't even the high end adult collector toys. They even sell toddler clothing tied in to this movie.
    It's evident that WB and DC want it BOTH ways. They want that Marvel money, yet they also want to steer "darker" with the thematic elements. Being dour and grim means nothing if you don't have a vested interest in the characters. This movie might have been more effective if MOS were a bit lighter and uplifting.

It's such a shame...because DC has such a vast universe with great movie potential. If they hadn't screwed up Green Lantern so badly...THAT could have been a franchise unto itself. Whole galaxies, aliens, and threats to explore there.

8. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    Reading through the thread and I'm a bit tired of this idea that a Justice League movie is an attempt to imitate the success of the Avengers because WB have made several failed attempts at JL movies/tv in fact George Miller (Mad Max) had one all cast costumed and ready to film back in 2009 but writers strikes and Christopher Nolan not being happy about it shut it down.

As for the movie itself I feel like it's a mirror of Batman & Robin because that movie took the Adam West style cheese elements to an extreme whereas this takes the grim negative Dark Knight Returns elements to an extreme which is a shame because I believe that some of the best Batman tales strike up the balance between light and dark.

My only hope for DC's future is that if Snyder does go onto direct JL he drops the DKR influence and goes in a direction similar to that of the DC animated shows because those shows managed to get the balance right and did justice (no pun intended!) to all the characters involved while managing to tell a coherent story.

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Well, right, but, then, Marvel does .... like this:
    Deadpool Kiddie Toys at Walmart:

[​IMG]

10. wankerness

The problem is they confused darkness with intelligence. The Nolan movies weren't good just because they were grimdark, they were good because they had smart scripts and developed their ideas properly. The studio learned all the wrong lessons from them. The Snyder movies seem to have ideas, but they don't get developed worth a crap and the stories are filmed in an incoherent manner in which half the scenes could happen in a different order and it wouldn't make any LESS sense. They need better writing, and a director with something to his credit other than visual style would be smart, too. :/

It might be too late for their Justice League "Universe" taking off, since they're going to have a frickin Aqua Man movie before their next major tentpole one, and I can't imagine THAT succeeding with their approach to these things (it is cast with a hulking badass instead of a Paul Rudd, so I'm sort of doubting it's going to be something tongue-in-cheek and fun like Ant Man). Not to mention that standalone Wonder Woman movie, which is a fine concept, but Gal Gadot does not seem to have anywhere near the acting chops to carry a whole movie, since they cast her for her looks and athleticism, because that is how Zach Snyder operates!

Some more high profile failures might result in them having to do the Sony thing where they just go "ah hell, we'll just sell you (Disney) Spider-Man, we can't do anything right with him."

It's too bad, too, because I consider all three Nolan movies to be superior to anything the Marvel universe has pulled off, even though I quite like most of them.

From what I've heard, Mask of the Phantasm may be the single best Batman film. I should probably watch that some day.

11. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    :yesway:
    Pretty much all of this but I feel like things can be turned around because....

Suicide Squad seems to have gotten attention for the right reasons it looks more enjoyable than BvS and seems to be in a similar vein to GotG with a blend of action and humour I could be wrong but I feel like this will be their real success this year.
    Aquaman is supposed to be more of an epic fantasy/adventure movie sort of like Conan meets Indiana Jones and the director (James Wan) has already stated it'll be very different tonally to BvS.

BTW Mask of the Phantasm is a very good mystery story which feels a lot like an unofficial sequel to the Burton Bat-movies which in my book is a good thing infact I like to imagine Batman Forever/Batman&Robin didn't happen and it's the third movie in the series.

12. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Just saw it. Good, not great. Really liked the Ben/Jeremy dynamic.

At what point does Eisenberg become the Green Goblin in this story line?

13. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Slightly off topic, but am I the only one with a mental tick that can't get over seeing images like the below and thinks, "Come on... his hands would go right through that rocket! The whole weight of it wouldn't be able to be supported by the small area of metal his hands are holding! Come on now!" :D

[​IMG]

And the capes, man they'd be constantly tripping over them! Or at least getting constantly wrapped up in them.

Rev.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
  14. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

one of the things I really dislike bout it was the end and what a waste of it

"oh no, Superman is dead"..... zzZZZ... reaaaally???
    the only thing they forgot to do to make that whole final more cheesy was to slowly zoom into his face and at the last frame....bam!, he open his eyes.... that would be cheesy....oh no wait, they did it, by slowly zooming into the coffin and bam!... dirt is moving :lol:

seriously what they were thinking with that end?... did I suposed to feel sad about a character "dying" when I know 200% sure he wont really die in this movie??.... do they know how emotions work?... seriously?... there are 2 (for now) justice league movies coming!! Superman is THE character of it, one of the main 3!! do you really really think I was going to believe the whole "oh noes he dies" 15 min crap you gave me???.... :noplease::nuts:

the only thing it actually made me feel a bit sad was his dog :lol: seeing the poor fella laying down next to his master's coffin in the house, as a owner of a dog (a border collie too lol) THAT made me sad, the rest of it was zzzZZZZZ

having said that.....

I though it was awesome they "killed" Superman, because if you really though about it, having him survive Doomsday and just kill it, it would make a far far more cheesy ending... "yay good guys won.. high five everyone" so I really liked he got a beating and got "killed" in the process, plus it kinda stays "true" to the comics where he dies trying to kill doomsday too, so big plus for not flipping the finger too much to the comic books :yesway:

but,.......

with all the sequels coming do you really think I was going to believe taht crap and feel "sad"......:noplease:

my solution?

dont use Doomsday in this movie!!, let him for the "end" of Justice League!!!.

think about it, make this same ending on the last movie of the JL saga (the second or third or whatever... last one) make the last villan to defeat to be Doomsday, make the same fight, and the same ending process, have everyone "fails" and Superman to sacrifice himself to kill Doomsday and have Superman actually dies in the process, and really actually be Dead this time and leave him dead!!, have the guys do a "we wold continue the JL in his honor" cheesy crap, but let him die with the funeral and everything..... now THAT would be an ending!!

15. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Saw it last night with rock bottom expectations... and still came out disappointed. I got the same feeling that I got from the 2 Fantastic 4 movies, X3 Last Stand, Origins Wolverine, Amazing Spiderman and Revenge Of The Fallen. Ok, it's better than all of those, but this makes Thor 2 and Iron Man 2 look good in comparison.

One of the few good things about this movie is the whole 'collateral damage' that I used to make fun of The Avengers for not assessing (at least until the TV Series came out and when Civil War comes out), though the movie could have told it better.

By far the worst incarnation of Lex Luthor, and possibly the worst super villain on film. With a completely unexplained motive, it's like they tried to make him into a second Joker...

I've never been a fan of the whole Doomsday premise. Of all the things to end with that conclusion, DC had to do it with a boring giant monster. He looks even more forgettable here. That whole arc also brought some of Superman's more baffling stories.

I could go on with other things I disliked, but it's too much effort. The whole thing, tried to be serious but it felt so damn joyless, I'd much prefer the sunny day party vibe of the MCU movies. Civil War can't come much sooner.

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

End-of-movie spoilers, but LexCorp's Instagram just posted this message.

I love ARG/tie-in stuff, so this is pretty cool. :lol:

17. wankerness

SUICIDE SQUAD Reshoots Bode Well For The DC Movieverse | Birth.Movies.Death.

We need a "trainwreck" emoticon!

18. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Dammit Warner Brothers... :wallbash:

Side note: Am I the only one looking forward to Aquaman only on the sole reason that James Wan is directing?

19. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

If Aquaman is anything like the video game character he has the potential to be quite awesome...or cheesy. :lol:

Hearing that the trailer was incredibly deceptive is quite the disappointment, but I'm not surprised either (Suicide Squad).

20. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

Im looking forward for a cool Aquaman movie. I never understood why so much hate towards the guy?, I know its a bit "dumb" the fact that he can "only" fight in water but every fight is on land, but still I dont see the bad on him?. I think he is suffering from a false internet meme thing where everyone "knows" he is a dumb character of some sort, like saying "Nickelback sucks" internet thing

the only thing I still dont understand is why they choose to put a guy who looks nothing like the comic books, they made the guy look more of a New Zealand rugby player, to be fair it does look pretty badass, but the comics its jsut a blonde guy so what gives???

and I was really disapointed in the way they chose to show him on the movie. A ..... scary cat approaching the submarine and running away from it. Instead to approach to it with attitude standing straight like "tha FF you doing here, get FF yourself *bam!* "