Batman/Superman Movie 2015

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by UltraParanoia, Jul 22, 2013.

1. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Theaters were losing tons of money from the old sliding scale so good for them for finally doing something about it; although it doesn't explain why everything has only gotten more expensive when they get a bigger cut than they have in the past. It certainly isn't going to staff or maintenance as only the 'premium' theaters in my area keep the place nice.

The AMC in my town is gross: bathrooms always overflowing, they brush old food behind the ....ing counter where they won't be able to clean it, and the floors are stained and sticky. They charge $10-$14 to watch something in their 'fine' establishment. :lol:

2. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

My local Marquee is the same way. It's only about 15 yrs. old and beat to hell.
    When the bright fluorescent house lights come on, it's horrifying.
    The seats are disgusting. And every single time I go, there's black plastic garbage bags over at least half a dozen seats.

Last three movies I've seen there, there was problems with either the sound or picture.
    BvS had to get rewound about 15-20 min. and the people were waiting in the hall when we got out for the next showing.

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Exactly. People are saying this movie is doing fine since it made back over twice it's production budget, but this movie had an INSANE marketing budget. WB NEEDS 800m - 900m to get their entire budget back, and were aiming for 1bil+. JUST breaking even won't cut it for WB, and this might not end well for the rest of the DC movies, and Snyders association with the series.

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Our cinema in St. Johnsbury is pretty sweet. Ticket prices are less than half what they are in the city, and besides being small and understaffed (just like every other business here), the place is at least twice as clean as cinemas in the city. If you go for a matinee, you could take a date and still be under $10. It's odd to me, because everything else here is very expensive.

Suicide Squad might be a turning point for better or for worse. Conventional wisdom is that Batman is invincible as far as movies go, but now that Nolan has done such a good job, I think it might be difficult for anyone trying to make more ....ty batman films. Maybe DC needs to stay focused on TV shows.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

I'm sure Suicide Squad is happening no matter what given how far into production it is. Although there's rumors they're doing reshoots to make the tone closer to the trailers. According to rumors, the trailers were deceiving and the movie was a similar tone to BvS, instead of having the black humor of the trailers.

I'm sure a Batman and Wonder Woman movie will be happening given the positive reception Batfleck and Gal Gadot got. If BvS keeps up this downward spiral, not sure how the rest of the slate will end up

6. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Well if all the rest end up doing well I suspect they'll continue forward with their original plans, but with new directors and writers.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

They'll need to make decisions preeeetty soon. Justice League starts filming in only a week.

8. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Giving Snyder the boot, and doing some serious rewrites is the only way I can see it being any good. I don't know if they can do rewrites fast enough. I hope they won't just keep him for convenience, but they might.

All reports suggest that the Supergirl show actually has the right tone for a Superman show, and that it's what you should watch if you want to see something uplifting and about a positive heroic character. Well, that or the Captain America movies! I really liked this first succinct post and the two follow-ups from a birthmoviesdeath article's comments:

[​IMG]

That scene in the first Captain America movie where he jumps on the grenade gets me every time!

But yeah, Supergirl looks like fun. I should probably watch it sometime. One benefit of the movies being made in the Zach Snyder Murderverse is that at least they probably won't mess with Supergirl in the meantime.

9. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

NOOOOOOOO supergirl NOOOOOO, such a bad tv show

I get the "heroic" part of it, cmon is a supergirl on a tv show, she HAS to save people, thats the show about. But man that show its crap. I watched for a long time and I got to the point where I said "no more", sooooooo cheeeeeassyyyyyyy so bad action made, so many many many plot holes, NOTHING makes sense there.

10. wankerness

So even after the financial disappointment of this and the intensely negative comicbook fan reactions, they're going ahead with Snyder in control on the Justice League movie. Should be awful.

In better news, Ben Affleck is directing a solo Batman movie, so there's definite hope for that one!

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

^Saw the news last night. :agreed: News that cool deserves it's own thread, so I'mm do it. :lol:

12. wankerness

I watched Superman Returns last night, I previous saw it in the theater and I basically remembered nothing about it.

The plane scene towards the beginning is like, 10/10 material that perfectly encapsulates the character of Superman. It's exciting as hell, and even inspiring. That's the kind of stuff I want to see in a Superman movie!!

Then the rest of the movie happens, and it is quite ponderous, takes itself way too seriously (especially in the extended part where the thugs beat him up), and has what may be the single worst casting decision of all time in making this a direct sequel to Superman II but having "Margot Kidder" several years later now played by a 23 year old who doesn't look a day older. It doesn't even make sense. Like, if she was 30 or something at least they could say "oh, they made her younger," but to make her 23 and give her a kid that seems to be about 8?! I guess Superman knocked her up when she was 15, and she'd already been a high-class reporter at the time. AWFUL! The actress doesn't really bring anything to the role, either, it's not like Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook where she was miscast way too young but is so good in the role that you can get why they did it.

Anyway, yeah. I don't really like Kevin Spacey in it, but I like the general idea of that Lex Luthor, with his cheesily extravagant hideouts and silly entourage. And Kevin Spacey looks exactly like Russell Crowe when in that long stringy wig in the scene towards the beginning.

SO, in conclusion, it is overlong, takes itself way too seriously, but clearly loves the character and has a couple of great action scenes, and reusing John Williams' music was the best thing they could have done. That score is frickin iconic, I'd rate it at as high as the Star Wars or Indiana Jones themes.