Batman/Superman Movie 2015

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by UltraParanoia, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

Because this guy:

[​IMG]

is infinitely more intimidating than this guy:

[​IMG]

2. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I'm also pretty sure they were going for the 90s Aquaman look:

[​IMG]

The 90s were a weird time for the whole comic industry. Since the dawn of The Dark Knight Returns and The Watchmen in 1986, they were going for the whole "gritty-serious" look, hence Aquaman above, Scarlet Spider, and everything involving Todd MacFarlane. Hell incidentally, the 90s was exactly where one of the main story lines from Batman V Superman came from. And since this decade is in a 90s retro paradigm at the moment, Warner Brothers felt the need to exploit that often forgetting the goofy side of DC. Remember Batman Zun-En-Arrh?

[​IMG]

...because Hollywood sure seems to make sure you don't.

4. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

maybe there's a happy medium? between rugby player aquaman and cracker jack aquaman????

Maybe... Just maybe....

[​IMG]

this just got weird :ugh:

5. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Some comic book guy way back in the day made up some .... about Superman actually levitates things around him, so he's not actually lifting the whole rocket up by his hands. That's why when he started flying in Man of Steel rocks from the ground and stuff would take off with him. If Superman didn't have this levitating power, he'd kill everybody he tries to catch with whiplash

BvS saw what they were trying to do with it, some respect for that, but it could have been so much better. 2.5 star sout of 5

6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

but in all seriousness at least they could had keep the guy blonde. Im all for a badass looking Aquaman like in those latest comics, I do not want a happy smiling pretty boy, but at least keep the guy blonde like in the comics? or that is not "politically correct" anymore lol

7. asher

asher So Did We

8. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Superman has the power of the force?

Introducing Jedi Clark.

9. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

That guy looks hilarious and so does the comic book guy. I'm glad they went for the badass rugby player look. It's not anti-PC to complain in this case since Jason Momoa is not a minority that's protected by the carelords. :p

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Welp...

I believe this is the first superhero movie to match (or even break) 2003 Hulk's weekend drop of 70%. If this keep going lower and lower, this doesn't bode well for at least Zack Snyder, or at most the DCEU in general.

11. wankerness

All I want is for it to make less than 1 billion and thus not break even. Please don't let us down again, China!!!

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I've heard some people say that China will be taking BvS off a majority of their screens (up to 90%) either this weekend or over the next week. Apparently China lost interest in this movie quicker than we did. :lol:

There's no way in hell this will break even if you account for marketing, nor will it meet WB's expectations. They were aiming for a billion, yet the 2nd weekend will suffer an estimated 70 - 72% drop as well as a major loss of one of the biggest movie markets.

EDIT: You got your wish. :lol:

13. wankerness

WOW, Sammo Hung is still a thing in China! I love watching season 2/3 episodes of The Office, and how the single most dated joke seemed to be someone asking someone else if their "WELLHUNG" license plate meant they were a big Sammo Hung fan.

14. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Look beyond his films and he's got some serious directing chops, both action and otherwise. Most of his post 90s success has been behind the camera.

That and he's spent the last decade in highly popular TV series in Mainland China.

15. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

He asks if he's a William Hung fan, not Sammo. Still a fairly dated reference, but it was slightly less dated when that episode aired than a Sammo Hung reference would've been. It also makes more sense with a WLHUNG (not WELLHUNG) plate.

This message was brought to you buy a guy who has watched The Office waaaaaay too many times. :lol:

16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Its made $587 million so far. Looking at the budget and guessing further advertisement costs that looks like a success.

17. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Last I heard, the number floating around for it's total budget was $410 million; so making all that back and only a ~25% profit isn't really a great success for what WB/DC were hoping would launch a cinematic universe. Not to mention that that figure comes from it being a sequel to a movie that divided it's fans as much - if not moreso - than this one.

18. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Oh definitely. When WB wanted to have what the MCU has, they certainly wanted the balance sheets, too, and likely was expecting to make Avengers money here.

19. wankerness

Haha, wow. You're right, that is way worse. At least it's cross-referential with Arrested Development that way.

20. wankerness

Not even close. That box office is the amount the theaters take, and on average theaters keep about half the ticket price and the studio gets the other half (or more like the other 25% in the case of exports to some countries like China). That's why movies are so frequently said to have to make double their budget to "break even."

It was stated repeatedly well before its release that it needed to break 1 billion to be considered a success. I was off by a hundred million, I guess 1 billion is only the point at which it will not be considered a flop, they'll break even in the 800 million range :D

When Does a Movie Break Even at the BoxOffice?

What Batman V Superman Needs To Gross To Break Even | Comicbook.com