Bass Rig/Tone Advice? (Getting Back in the Game)

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by SoItGoesRVA, Aug 29, 2017.

1. SoItGoesRVA

SoItGoesRVA Do You Even Riff?

Hey all, I need some advice (mods feel free to move this if this isn't the right spot). I haven't played bass in about 8 months and sold off all my gear except for my bass guitar (an Ibanez SRX705) and a practice amp. However, I have an opportunity to be a part of a prog metal band with some pretty heavy hitters, and I can't pass it up (can't give away anything now as nothing's been announced, but some of you have definitely heard of their previous bands)

To the point, I'm looking for some advice for creating a rig from scratch.

1. Power is not a limiting factor. Depending on where this goes, I'd like to be able to play large venues without having to redo my rig

2. Simple is better. I have never been into the wizardry of trying to piece together 12 pedals in a board, I want something where I can add a reverb, chorus, eq, tuner, and tube screamer, and be done with it.

3. Bass tones I like and would like to be able to get close to: Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne), Tim Commerford (RATM), Jordan Eberhardt (The Contortionist), Steve Harris, and Nick Schendzielos (JFAC).

4. I know I can't do all of this with an El Cheapo rig, but I'm not rich, so price is a factor. The less expensive the better.

Any and all advice is welcome, as I am not a tone wizard by any means. Thanks in advance!

2. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

do you really need that many pedals for a bass?. The beauty of a bass is that you can get away with less pedals and FXs, till the point you can play with nothing and still sound amazing. HAve a reaaaaaaaly good think about what pedals do you NEED.

I would trow away the reverb and chorus right of the bat. Start simple and see what would you need while you progress into the band. A good dirt and compressor would be more than enough..... that unless you do need some space-time weird stuff effects due to the songs require. See what you can get away with it first.

Also are you planing to go in-ears or pure cab monitor only.

Since most likely you would be plugged into a DI box, maybe have a look at bass amps that would come with one and give you the option to go post amp/EQ so you can keep part of your sound?

3. SoItGoesRVA

Yeah, unfortunately I do need those effects pedals for what I'm doing. There's some weirdness on this record. Right now, I'll be cab monitoring, but I do plan on going in-ear in the future. I will look for amps that come with a DI though, thanks for the suggestion

4. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

Get a dirt / drive pedal (B7K, Sansamp VT / Bass Driver) as your primary distortion for the clank or whatever.

Get a compressor pedal (MXR M87, Super Symmetry, Cali76) for smoothing out your dynamics and figuring out if you want longer sustained notes.

Make sure the tuner you get is good enough for catching bass notes. Some tuners struggle with the low frequencies and you might just have to use natural harmonics at the 12th fret to tune.

Once you start accumulating pedals, it's definitely worth sticking them in a pedal case and having them powered by a fully isolated source. Something like a Truetone 1 SPOT Pro is great. Having reliable clean power means less buzzing, less things to run out of battery and you can rely on it. Even if you have say, 5 pedals as you mentioned, it's good to have everything hooked up in the case, then just opening and plugging it in and it works.

Get a head and a cab. There's quite a few sounds out there, Ampeg SVT, Darkglass Microtubes 900, Hartke HA5500, Mesa Carbine, Orange OB1. This really depends on your budget and what sound you want. Regarding a cab, get something that can keep up with your guitarists so you can be heard. A 4x10 would be a good place to start then you can add another cab (1x15, 2x12, another 4x10) to get more air moving in the future. If you really want to spend, you can get something with Neodymium speakers that are incredibly light (it'll make logistics much easier and give your back a break) and with speakers like fEARful, you can get some ridiculous clarity and air movement.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  5. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

It's worth noting that if you want to get a DI out to the front of house, some dirt pedals have a DI out already like the B7K or the Sansamp deluxe versions if that matters to you.

Veldar likes this.
  6. Screamingdaisy

Screamingdaisy SS.org Regular

Almost every one on your list uses Ampeg. Either the SVT or the SVT-4Pro.

Since price is an issue I'd try to find them used. Used tends to limit your options, so I'd get the best Ampeg I could afford and either a 410 or 810 to pair with it.

7. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn APEX

For a start, lose the Ibanez and get a Warwick, preferably a Thumb.

8. SoItGoesRVA

I appreciate all the advice, but losing the Ibanez is definitely a no-go for the short term. I don't have $2k to drop on a Warwick and THEN purchase an entire rig.

9. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I'd probably run a Darkglass B7K into a Crown XLS1502 power amp (1550W at 4ohms in bridged mode) and call it a day. It would cost you $729 brand new, and probably a lot less used. Add on a Used 4x10 Cab and you'd probably be scraping the low-$1k range in price (or less).

Looking stuff currently on Reverb.com you could have a B7K/XLS1500 (rather than 1502) setup for ~$530.

10. dax21

dax21 SS.org Regular

The SRX line sounds pretty beefy, no need to swap the bass. That's a pretty decent instrument.

11. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn APEX

There are loads of beefy basses out there, but nothing sounds like a Warwick Thumb.

12. dax21

dax21 SS.org Regular

Dude I love Warwicks as much as anyone else, they are literally my favorite basses. But if OP drops 2k on one of them and is still without a rig it's not really going to put him ahead of his current situation at all. SRXs are fine instruments, B strings is usable, I have yet to hear one of them live where the tone is bad. They are very, very different from the stereotypical Ibby SR series hifi type of tone.
    Plus the plethora of preamps on the market will do all the tone shaping that is needed.

13. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

I'd say getting the rest of your rig is more important than swapping out your perfectly adequate bass guitar.

But whatever makes you happy. B-)