Bass pickup question

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Omen, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Omen

Omen SS.org Regular

I changed the stock pickups on a cheap BC Rich guitar to a pair of EMGs not to long ago and boy, what an improvement. Now I'm thinking of changing the pickups on my LTD F-5E. However I've heard bass pickups doesn't effect the tone as much as guitar pickups? i.e. there is less difference between quality bass pickups and cheap bass pickups than quality guitar pickups and cheap guitar pickups. Any comments?

I am in the process of upgrading my guitar amp (that is, buying a new one), so new bass pickups is still some time away. But curiosity doesn't cost, right?

2. ImBCRichBitch

ImBCRichBitch SS.org Regular

im gonna just say pickups ALWAYS affect tone. id say throw some Bartolini's in. top of the line and sound great. but that being said the preamp affects a lot too. so that would be worth upgrading as well

3. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD ERG Drummer! Contributor

My bassist is a huge gearhead, and YES, pickups make a huge difference! If you can afford it, go Bartolini, but as above, you'll need to swap the preamp too or it may do you no good.

I just replaced the stock pickups in my Brice 6-string with plain ol' EMG's (45P/J) and it is tons better even through crappy gear! :lol: Bart's are my favorite personally, really rich and versatile.