Baritone strings on an Ibby?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by WhitechapelOwns, May 29, 2012.

1. WhitechapelOwns

WhitechapelOwns SS.org Regular

I have an Ibanez RG4EXFM1, and am looking into getting baritone guitar strings for drop Ab. I've already tried D'Addario 14-68's, but they didn't have ANY slink to them because of the larger top strings. Do you guys think these would be alright for a good mixture of soloing AND riffing? Could they even fit through the tuning peg?

Amazon.com: Ernie Ball 2839 Baritone Electric Guitar String Set (13 -72): Musical Instruments

There are also Elixirs that are 12-68. Would those maybe be okay?

2. Scruffy1012

Scruffy1012 Grey Sheep

Hey, i use the elixir 68-12 and i think they are perfect for Ab imo. Its nice and tight, and you can still shred it up. I think its a perfect mixture for soloing and riffing in Ab, also i think you might have to file the nut down to fit the 72 depending on the guitar. On a side note, I found the ernie ball strings to be a little too tight as i generally play smaller gauge strings. If you play thicker gauge strings and are use to it, imo go with the Ernie balls, but if you want a little more freedom i'd definitely reccomend the Elixirs (also they are anti-rust, which is kickass for me, seeing how my strings rust quickly :()

3. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

id go with the 12-68 and you might have to widen the nut and you'll have to widen the tuning peg hole or un wind the string a bit:yesway:

4. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

Honestly, i would make custom string sets. Buy a string set for Bb standard, and buy a .68 separately to replace the lowest string. Something like a .58 set and a separate .68 string.

Of course, you have to be able to get it at a reasonable price, too.