Baritone LP pickup recommendations

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by KnightBrolaire, Dec 12, 2017.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

the GAS has hit me hard and I find myself jonesing for a set of pickups to replace the really good stock ones in my agile LP baritone. (mahogany neck/body with maple top, 27" scale).
    Looking for something chunky/thick sounding but still pretty clear since my lowest string is tuned to G1.
    contenders for now :
    +Miracle Man
    +c-bomb
    +Dominion

-Black Dog (I fucking love the snarly mids from this pickup but I don't think it's chunky sounding enough for this guitar)
    -I thought about a c-pig but it'd probably be way too dark for this guitar.
    -Not looking to get another set of lace (already have the dissonant aggressors in a guitar).
    -already have a super distortion 3 loaded guitar and another with a duncan distortion

Main concerns are balancing a chunky/thick rhythm tone (ie Clutch/Mastodon/Pelican esque) with getting enough clarity.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  2. KnightBrolaire

yep disregard, I found some used ragnaroks. time to see if they live up to the hype

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

interested. lemme know how they work out. I was eying some impulses for my REAL 28.625 scale baritone.
    I have a set of Motor City nukes in there right now which are ceramic 25k pickups similar specs to the cpig. Not as dark as you'd think.

4. KnightBrolaire

yeah I'll post up an npd/vid when I install em.

5. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 SS.org Regular

@KnightBrolaire a bit of an unorthodox suggestion, but if the Rags don't work out, do you think the PRS Tremonti set might be a good fight? Just spitballin', might be something you hadn't considered.

6. KnightBrolaire

hmm I'll look into em.

7. metallifan3091

metallifan3091 SS.org Regular

I have a PRS Tremonti, and aside from the scale length (25 vs your 27) the specs on it are pretty similar and I dig the stock pickups pretty well. I have a set of Black Winters I'm going to put in it instead, just to try something different/more modern, but the Tremonti set is pretty sweet.

8. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

I know It's my pickup and that makes me a little biased but the impulse set would slay in this guitar.

9. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

The only Bareknuckle I've tried is the Alnico Blackhawk 7 and I have to say it fixed most of the issues I had regarding tone in the guitar I put it in. And it's really hot for such low DC resistance. I've heard other people call them dark and while it did give a more present bass and low mid response it is nowhere near overpowering the natural brightness of the guitar it's in. In conclusion if the Ragnarok doesn't work out the Blackhawk is a good option. Or the Impulse as noob_pawn and diagrammatiks suggested as to my understanding are a more refined version of the Blackhawk.

10. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

I once reamped the DI files Nolly posted here (or ultimate metal), where he demoed several bareknuckles.
    I wanted to get an unbiased idea of what was behind all this hype.
    After reamping I picked my favorite and I also analysed the frequency spectrum of the mic'd signal using voxengo span.

Long story short:
    The best (to my ears) and most chunky one was the Painkiller. It had lots of 150 hz oomph and only few low-mids

Both warpigs however had far less bass but tons of of 200 to 400 hz low mids which made these seem mushy.

So if I was looking for a chunky but clear tone, I would prefer the Painkiller over any other bareknuckle pickup.

11. KnightBrolaire

I've had the painkillers before and they do have a nice percussiveness but they're a bit too harsh on the high end for my tastes. Something about those upper mids just didn't quite sit well with the guitar I had em in/my rig. I don't think they'd be a good fit for this guitar since it's not a very dark sounding guitar.

yeah we'll see how the rags turn out. If I don't dig em I'll look into the alnico blackhawk/impulse.

hmm I'll look into the impulses but I figured with the relatively even EQ they might not be the best match for this guitar and what I want to play. I know they're capable of playing some pretty low register stuff and staying clear since Northlane tunes to what, Drop F, or something? I do like the sound of "muscular mids"- that's right up my alley since the black dog is one of my favorite pickups.

12. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I used a Miracle Man in my 27" baritone (I only tune to B standard though) and it sounds MASSIVE! Huge wall of sound.
    I have replaced it since with a Juggernaut, which has less of a sledgehammer sound, but has better tracking in the mix and with the low notes.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  13. KnightBrolaire

well the ragnaroks were faulty so I'm getting another set of elysians to replace em (it's a new wind that adam came up with). also have a set of impulses waiting to be installed if the elysians don't work out.

14. KnightBrolaire

rags= meh
    impulses= :yesway: :yesway:
    dominion= :yesway:
    alnico blackhawk= :yesway:
    ended up installing fishman moderns into this particular guitar, but the impulses are definitely sticking around for my other baritone.

15. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Wonder if you've ever tried the EMG57? It's kinda PAF-like, but hot-rodded. Nothing like the EMG81.

I have one in a 7 string ESP eclipse (mahogany body, maple cap, neck thru) and it sounds immense. Big and thick, but still has clarity.

16. KnightBrolaire

I had the 57/66 set in an 8 string. Not really my thing. The low end was a bit too round for my tastes and i had a hard time dialing in a sound I liked with them. Maybe the 6 string version works significantly better, but I won't be going out of my way to install them anytime soon. If I do go back to EMGs I'd probably check out the jh set.

17. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

As one who has had several pickups in my Bari-Tele, I can assure you, you want clarity, especially in the low end. Even on clean, low gain, vintage, or hi gain settings, a tighter low end will aid overall clarity. I use the EMG Ceramic Tele set, but if I were to go to a humbucker again on that guitar, I'd opt for an underwound similar to the custom hand wound that I originally had in it. You may even consider an EMG 58, or an HA if yours is Humbucker routed. You can also opt for an SPC or RPC or EXG tone control to finely tailor your tone.

18. KnightBrolaire

Thanks, I'll keep the HA in mind if I do try EMGs again, but as I said, I'm not looking to try them anytime soon.
    My pickup preference for my baritone 6 stringers as of late has been for higher output pickups provided they have tighter bass and good clarity. I find that most pickups I've tried in my baritones have worked well with my rig/tunings (barring the super distortion 3 or parallel axis distortion). Having a coil split option really makes them more viable as well.
    It's funny because for my 8 strings I can't stand higher output pickups (even the same models as some of my favorite 6 string pickups). I find with 8 strings I really need the greater clarity and tighter low end, so medium output ceramic based pickups tend to work better for me.