Baritone: anyone tune up or use lighter strings?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Tisca, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

I have this 27" 6 string I haven't really played in years. Don't like the active pickups and short scale guitars already feel great tuned down, at least for that stoner/doom/sludge. Loose strings is part of the sound.

Now that I have taken out the bridge pickup to test in another guitar and the strings are off I might as well stick a passive in there and change strings. One last attempt to like it before I put it up for sale. It has/had a 13-56 set. I put that set in there just because it came stock with those and was planning to sell it. I remember liking one step thinner set. Wonder how it would feel with "normal" 9's or 10's and what tuning.

Any good ideas? I have a box full of strings.

bostjan likes this.
  2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I tried this before by using a 7 string tuning on an 8 string and adding an extra high. Even though it was a multiscale, i was still snapping highs by tuning up.
    Good luck.

3. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

A 27" scale adds around 2lbs of tension to each string compared to a 25.5.

So 9-42 in E standard on a 25.5" will feel the same as Eb on your 27".

bostjan and Zhysick like this.
  4. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

That's like insignificant AF but does explain the barely noticeable difference with same string and tuning between my 27" and 24.75".

5. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Buy a set of 7s and tune up to G

6. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Yeah its small but its the cumulative effect that makes such a difference. If you use a 59 on a 25.5 you can change to a 56 which will give you the benefits of using a thinner string along with the clearer, tighter, brighter tone of the extra 1.5" scale.

7. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

Are you using some online tension calculator?

8. MrYakob

MrYakob SS.org Regular

I threw some 10s on my PRS SE 277 and tuned it up to drop C# because I love the guitar so much but none of my band's material was tuned down to A where I had it before. I actually prefer the bit of a stretch that the longer scale gives and there's a tonal difference that I enjoy too.

9. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    I have a Squier baritone that I've tuned to E & D standard with an 11-52 set and to my ears the sound is a little punchier/defined than my other 6's in standard just get a good setup and you'll be fine.

10. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

My PRS 277 is in Drop B with 12-60s on it. Feels perfect and sounds huge!

11. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

Something like that I'm hoping for. Probably end up choosing tuning after feel and tension depending on what random set I'll put on.

12. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

EverDream likes this.
  13. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I had a 28" acoustic I tuned to D with the same strings as I'd use on a regular acoustic in standard (roughly the same tension). Amazing clarity. Remember the upper strings of any long scale ERG are essentially exactly this kind of thing too :)

14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

27" capoed at the first fret is exactly the same as 25.5", so yeah, 27" with standard strings in Eb is exactly the same tension as 25.5" in standard tuning with standard strings. The clarity of tone is a little bit more complicated, though.

You should be able to tune 27" to E or F or even F# with little trouble. I've tuned a 29" Danelectro to F, several 27" guitars I've tuned to F#, and I've had my 25.5" Samick up to A, although I didn't dare bend the string, and I did have a couple high A's break (overnight, oddly, when no one was playing it). My Oni CF8 has a high A on it all of the time, at ~24", and I can bend all day. I have two pedal steel guitars that have a high G# string that bends up to A with the pedal, and those are 24" and 26". The 26" G# bending up to A does have a tendency to snap at inopportune times, but it can withstand a hundred or so bends usually.

Just about everyone I know is squeamish about pushing their tuning that high, though. I either have some sort of magical spell on strings or else breaking a string doesn't bother me as much as it does everyone else. At any rate, even if you successfully tune your 27" guitar up to G#, don't expect anyone to be too impressed and want to play it. :lol:

Flappydoodle likes this.
  15. Tisca

Tisca Big-tube snob

Update: I was thinking, if my 24.75" scale guitar felt good with 10-52 set (52 changed to 56) in drop-B then that set would be just fine for a longer 27" scale. I was correct. I was using a thin top end (10) for the short scale for having the opportunity to tune "up" to open-B tuning. In drop-B both these guitars feel a little on the loose side but it's ok. Thing is, the tension on these two on the thinner strings feel the same. On the 27" I didn't feel the need to swap for a thicker drop string. Hadn't played the bari in years. Didn't like the EMGs on it and strings were too thick apparently. The bari with same strings and tuning has more definition and clarity in notes and chords. It's a different beast in a good way.

16. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula Indeed.

I have a Blacktop Baritone Tele. It actually sounded a bit muddy in the stock B standard. But with a pack of 11s in D standard or drop C, it has way better clarity and definition, as you and others seem to have experienced.

It's actually a good thing, because in the styles I play on electric, I almost never need to go as low as B, but having a low Eb available without retuning has been super handy.

17. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

I have a 27" six string that I kept in E standard with a set of 9s for a while. I had recently acquired a 27" 8 string that I play in F# standard, and I decided I wanted to be able to play a 6 string in E standard but with the same scale so I wouldn't have to make any adjustments switching between 6 and 8 strings.