Baritone 7 27.5 in scale build (Myrtlewood, Sapele goodness)

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Purelojik, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

Im building a guitar in my room on my breaks while i study for the Medical boards. It helps me maintain my sanity as well as feed my addiction for this stuff. I made a blog to catalog the process and its because i have a wordpress app i can do everything from the phone. But i figure i'd post it here as well in case i need some help or if there is any input or advice people may offer. This place has always been helpful to me so i figure its a good idea. I'll upload all the pics of the progress i've made so far, then as it goes further i'll keep adding more here. Thanks for checking it out! :metal:

Anyhow SPECS!:

7 string
    27.5 in scale length (baritone)
    Macassar Ebony 20in radius
    Neck: Sapele Mahogany (bolt on)
    Body: Sapele Mahogany
    Top: Myrtlewood
    Pickups: BKP Camo covered
    Bareknuckle Aftermath bridge
    Bareknuckle Warpig Neck
    Hipshot 7 bridge (from Keith Merrow :hbang:)
    Earvana Compensated 7 string nut
    6100 dunlop fretwire

NOW PICS!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im getting a custom satin black/gold config from sperzel!! these are just for layout

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dont have many tools so i do with what i can find. For the big stuff i'll take it to a lumber yard cause i dont wanna lose a finger lol..

Anyhow wish me luck!:wavey:

Shawn, Philligan, FYP666 and 21 others like this.
  2. jarnozz

jarnozz Let´s Get Wasted!

very nice work so far my friend! keep the pics coming!

3. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Looks good!

do me a favor though and never, ever put your plane down like that. Let it lie on its side :) Seeing it like this makes me shiver.

4. sk3ks1s

sk3ks1s Djeff

Very tight work.
    :yesway:

5. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

Good luck with the build.

Every time somebody says "sapele", I think of this:

6. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

thanks dude. the blades been retracted. i wouldnt leave it on the table with the blade out. if thats what your worried about lol. its also my first time using the hand plane. thing was difficult to use at first but i think i've gotten the hang of it.

7. Linny

Linny SS.org Regular

Why?

8. scherzo1928

scherzo1928 has wood for you

I've got a few things to say.

This pic made my day.
    If you ever run out of coffee filters, get some waxed paper (like the one used for baking). I've used it when glueing with titebond, epoxy and CA, and it never gets glued. Great stuff!

I might make this my new desktop image
    And finally, pics of the fanfretted guitar in the background?
    Well, I guess I lied when I said "and finally". I'm loving the shape, and the wood choice is pretty sweet. I think this will turn out to be a beautiful guitar.

Best of luck!

9. sk3ks1s

sk3ks1s Djeff

The blade protrudes past the foot of the plane. Placing it foot down has the potential to damage the blade or at least throw off the camber.

10. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

Man you are very observant! and thanks for the compliments!. The photos were taken on my iphone using Camera +. yep its the fan fretted guitar prototype i made while in med school in india. it was my first build and after soaking up all the info here i decided to go big. the whole buildstory is on my blog. its a hackjob litterally. i took a flatmount 7 bridge and took a hacksaw to it to make the individual bridges. but since it was in india the wood was altogether about 10 USD so i really went crrazy.

Thanks again dude.

11. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

12. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

So i have a Dremel Trio and honestly havent used it for anything. I measured the bit and realized its the exact size and depth for the Stew Mac Hot Rod Truss Rods. So i figured what the hell.

It ain't pretty but it fits nice and snug. i'll have to find some silicone to put in the groove to prevent rattling. i dont wanna buy a giant tube but if they dont have small ones then im SOL.
    I made two passes, each taking off 0.2 in of wood. Went very smoothly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done!.

Im awaiting a package of veneers and some Tee Nuts so i can do the neck bolt Decibel Guitar Style. :hbang:

13. HighPotency

HighPotency SS.org Regular

Out of curiosity, what is the method you refer to that Patrick ......... uses to prep his necks and fretboards?

14. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

a buddy of mine who was building a mandolin at the time i was building the fanned fretted seven string was following some video's Mr. Patrick H. had put on youtube on how to prep a fretboard and his whole fretting techniques. i think i saved them somewhere, cause he usually removes his videos.

They were helpful but its basically what everyone else does; nothing too special. i think because the entire fretting process was shown to me in that series of videos, is why i liked that method.

basically he just leaves the neck square, so he can hammer the frets in easily. before all that he goes over how he shapes and polishes the fretboard before gluing. once glued he goes over how he hammers frets in, then levels and crowns them. for a beginner who'd just read about it it was informative to actuallly SEE it done from beginning to end. worked great for me since i love visual learning.

15. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

16. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

Little update. Both neck and body are bandsawed. once i get the package of T Nuts installed on the neck and have them fitted to the body i'll glue the fretboard and have everything trued up!.

Im getting more excited as this project goes on!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Until next time!:hbang:

17. idunno

idunno SS.org Regular

Thats a great piece of sapelli, where did you score that? I also really like the curve at the bottom of the fretboard, dont cut it off!

18. HighPotency

HighPotency SS.org Regular

I just got a bunch of t-nuts and bolts/washers to go with them a couple days ago!

On a semi-related note, I'm kind of new here (joined a while back but recently switched over from UG and let me tell you it's a breath of fresh air from being trapped in a small room full of smelly, farting 10 year olds)... Why was Mr. He-who-apparently-shall-not-be-named's name edited out of my post?

19. idunno

idunno SS.org Regular

He was a member and was kind of a douche and got pissy over stuff and decided to leave and demand that all memory of him and the use of his name be erased.

Ive seen his posts on multiple forums many times, and to be honest he was pretty full of himself and basically a jerk all the time. Beautiful work though! I wouldnt mind having one of his guitars.

20. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

Great, now I can only guess at who this character is. Though I do have an idea, actually.