Baritone 6 String Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by hardvalve, Nov 10, 2012.

1. DeKay

DeKay Caynug

What is that!?

2. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

3. XeoFLCL

XeoFLCL Consumer Whore

Sorry for the month late response, but yeah I owned one at a point. It's a nice guitar, but has alot of cons:
    first, single humbucker. Doesn't sound too bad at first but I feel it eliminates one of the most important points of having a baritone, that being the distinctive tone of a baritone neck pickup. Granted, this can be EASILY fixed with a router and a little bit of effort.
    Second, it has massive neckdive. massive neckdive. This can also be worked around by moving the strap button from the upper horn to where the neck joint is, but it'll still be a bit neck heavy unless you put weights on your strap or something.
    Third, the finish, like any oil finish, tends to wear extremely quick.

The shape is also either a love it or hate it thing, and I didn't really dig it. The good news is it makes a great platform for crazy modding, like if you want to add a single coil to the neck or something. The action on mine was pretty good, and there was no issues besides what I mentioned.

4. Progbusters

Progbusters SS.org Regular

Titan set on my Schecter C1ex

[​IMG]

5. hardvalve

hardvalve SS.org Regular

Been awhile, let's see some more baritones. Since Fretsong screwed mine up so badly,might as well see some others.

6. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

[​IMG]

Nothing special except to me.....first one I've ever owned, grabbed it a few weeks ago. Locking tuners, SD Custom in the bridge, tuned to open C for heavy rhythm stuff and Devy action. I've got some Blackouts on the way that are gonna go in here. Fantastic guitar for the money, especially used.

7. Meximelt

Meximelt SS.org Regular

How does that set sound in there? Especially the neck pickup.

8. PERP

PERP SS.org Regular

Please re-direct me if I'm in the wrong spot, but I was curious if anyone had any experience/input with either Lace Drop and Gains or BKP Black Dogs in a baritone. Obviously I'd like to spend $100 less but if the BKP's are that good (I've owned SD's mostly and some Lace gear as of late but never owned a BKP) I'd really like to try the Black Dog set. I'm going for a fairly tight, organic, mid output sound and it seems, from research only, that these two would fit the bill. Thoughts?

Edit: They're going in an Epiphone LP Baritone that I will post pics of when I receive it!

9. hardvalve

hardvalve SS.org Regular

The Lace and Black Dogs are 2 totally different pickups. The Lace are higher gain, and the Black Dogs are more of a traditional PAF styled pickup. What kind of music are you playing? The Black Dogs will be more versatile, doing cleans and classic tones, along with handling high gain stuff. The Laces will excel at modern tones, and lower tunings, but not as well for cleans and lower gain stuff. The BKP stuff is nice, but pretty pricey. Just my .02.

10. PERP

PERP SS.org Regular

I'm playing black/death/sludge stuff i suppose but I've been steering away from heavy saturated sounds. I'm just looking for just past crunch but before hi-gain, if that makes sense. I have Alumitones in my Carvin TL60 (DB in bridge, single coil neck) and they've been absolutely stellar. I honestly might just go with another set of Alumitones. I really want to try some BKPs though...

11. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Trying to get up to speed as to what's out there atm. I'm looking for a baritone that can handle E Standard (one octave lower), with passives, and a TOM bridge. Ideally, I'd like to keep the price under $600. The PRS MM seems like a good choice but I was wondering if there may be a better option? Tone-wise, I'm looking for something that can do hi-gain doom.

12. CudBucket

CudBucket SS.org Regular

The tele baritones look great. Who says baritone guitars have to be metal?

13. Carl Kolchak

I was thinking of maybe trying an Ibanez SRC6 Crossover 6-String bass/baritone guitar. The stock tuning is E,B,G,D,A,E, but was wondering if they can be tuned to E standard E,A,D,G,B,E, w/o any intonation probs.

14. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

I've tried the schecter hellraiser baritone, it's tuned by default at E (octave lower) and it sounds pretty sexy and chunky unplugged. Personally i had a little rough time getting used to the 30" scale. Though it comes with EMG's, you might find a used one in your price range, or one whose pickups have already been switched to passives.

15. Meximelt

Meximelt SS.org Regular

the stock tuning is E standard, just down an octave, which is what you're looking for correct? you wrote its factory tuning from high to low, but you wrote what you were looking for from low to high. :hbang:

16. Carl Kolchak

LMFAO! I just noticed!

17. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk SS.org Regular

I'm tempted to give the Pawn Shop Bass VI a try.

18. Erockomania

Erockomania Studio Geek

[​IMG]

Grabbed this Ibanez RGIB6 28" as a workhorse studio guitar for the bands that come in trying to record really low tunings with Les Pauls and Strats, lol. Very pleasantly surprised! Swapped out the EMGs for a Nazgul/Sentient set.

19. HUGH JAYNUS

HUGH JAYNUS Formerly DJIMBO

Are baritone 6s good for playing in drop B without having rediculous thick gauges? Im thinking 27"

20. Erockomania

Erockomania Studio Geek

Drop B is ok in standard scale. Much below that is hard to intonate.

26.5" is perfect for drop A, Ab and would sound awesome in drop B as well.