BareKnuckle new line?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Zado, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Some will like this
    [​IMG]

"bareknucklepickupsofficial"I’ve long wanted to design a stripped back, no-nonsense pickup range aimed at guitar players of all levels who just want to cut to the chase and have great tone.
    3 output ranges - 4 types of pickup. It’s as easy as that, with all the core options taken care of. Handwound at the Bare Knuckle workshops and warrantied for life. No more excuses. Get your tone in shape. Welcome to the world of Bare Knuckle Boot Camp." Tim Mills, BKP Founder/MD.

Boot Camp Pickups.
    Launching at NAMM Show 2018.
    January 25th-28th.

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder/pickup tester

interesting. curious to see what the price point is and if these are new models, or just old ones that they've relabeled to make pickup swaps easier for non-gear nerds (ie HOT MODERN, NOT HOT, PAF, etc).

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Cheaper no nonsense line? Interesting. This is shaping up to be an exciting namm

4. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Tim's answer to the daily "What BKP should I get" email.

If its 4 pickups then i'd imagine they would be designed, Contemporary Hot like the Ragnarok/War Pig, Contemporary like the Nailbomb/Holy Diver, Vintage Hot like the Black Dog/VHII, Vintage like the Mule or Riff Raff. Smart idea!

Masoo2, MAJ Meadows SF and Curt like this.
  5. diagrammatiks

or an indirect admission that the middle section of his lineup is confusing and all sounds same. hehe.

sezna and steinmetzify like this.
  6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

7. Curt

Curt SS.org Regular

Certainly interesting. I hope that the humbuckers, particuarly whatever the hotter ones end up being like have options for ERGs, because I think it'd be cool to throw a set in this agile 8 string I have on the way.

8. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

Color me interested! I've got a lot of pickups to run through in the coming months so might as well add a couple more to the lineup. Seems like an attempt to streamline options, i.e. less customizing and descriptions to get to a button push order. Good tag line by Tim and crew as well.

9. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Kind of off topic by Rabea is such an under rated player. Dude is so versatile

10. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

You did. It was called “Bare Knuckle Pickups”, and was a well-regarded competitor to Wilkinson for cheap pickups in the UK. Then a certain djent player with an American audience started a hype train that directly led to high import costs of your budget pickup-brand, which put them into the “boutique” price range of two to four times the MAP of established brands producing pickups for decades longer and at far larger volumes. Then transatlantic demand spiking beyond the supply capabilities of an English garage inflated the bubble further, necessitating regular releases of artist signature pickups in laser-engraved and file-marred burnt nickel covers, marketed as the second coming of Christ to sustain hype free from exchange rates.

Any word on whether these are Artec?

Emperoff, Dineley, Strobe and 15 others like this.
  11. Curt

Curt SS.org Regular

I can't love this post enough. BKP does make some wonderful pickups. But the idea that they are on this untouchable level is little more than a hype train that just keeps rolling. That said, with the pickups I'm preferring these days, it's getting up into BKP territory price wise now (The Fishman Moderns are my current favorite pickups).

12. marcwormjim

They started as a no-nonsense brand. Had a lot of growth. Now they’re releasing a no-nonsense product line. What kind of nonsense happened between? I assume the NAMM surprise will be a signature pickup finished in satin because it “resonates better.”

13. diagrammatiks

Are the uncovered pickups really that expensive. Not their fault everyone wants to order the hand rubbed dry aged gold flake covers.

But this line makes no sense. Because it’s just four more pickups.

14. marcwormjim

Tim deserves all the success in the world for both winding terrific pickups and stumbling onto a consumer base that confuses buying a pickup for a personal achievement. But that press release is open to all kinds of eye-rolling ridicule.

fps, Avedas, sezna and 3 others like this.
  15. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

If you were running for president, you'd have my vote. All of these posts are spot on. If I hear one more person say, "I'm buying guitar X - does anyone know if Ragnaroks will fit directly in, or do I have to route? I'm going to pull the stock pickups out immediately," I'm going to lose my shit. Sometimes I wonder if people actually believe the latest thing will answer their prayers, or if they just want to be doing what everyone else is doing, and are well aware the emperor isn't wearing any clothes.

Dineley, sezna and Curt like this.
  16. Curt

Curt SS.org Regular

That's kind of where I'm at on things. I used to be pretty bad about that. I can understand if the guitar comes with bottom of the barrel no name pickups, but I see people buy expensive guitars and immediately pull the pickups without so much as plugging the guitar in first. I actually found a few pickups I really liked when I stopped impulsively loading EMGs into every guitar I bought. lol

Chiba666 and Hollowway like this.
  17. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

I love BKP and the customer service is excellent. But I don't agree with the massive price jump lately and the fact that they won't do EMG sized soapbars :( The mounting screws won't line up.

18. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

That's exactly why a brand's marketing should never state that they're releasing a "no-nonsense product". Makes your other products look like, well... ehrm.. nonsense.

Hollowway and prlgmnr like this.
  19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder/pickup tester

Marc nailed it. As much as I like bare knuckles (mostly just the black dog right now) they're not significantly better than other boutique brands I've tried, and for the price they command anymore, I'd rather buy a pile of used pickups instead of one set of 300$+ pickups. Hopefully these boot camp pickups are priced a bit more reasonably.

Strobe likes this.
  20. lurè

lurè extended range pizza

This is probably going to be like their "standard series" you'll find on some major brand's guitars (Ibanez, Gibson, Jackson .....)

Hollowway likes this.