Bareknuckle Impulse Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by noob_pwn, Feb 1, 2016.

1. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

Haven't seen a thread on here about these new pickups yet so I thought I'd start one myself.
    About a year ago Tim approached me about doing a signature pickup set. These are finally about to come out now and I'm very excited about it

They will be both a HS and HH set available. Both humbuckers use A5 magnets and the single uses a ceramic. All 3 use a blade design like the blackhawk. Immediately available in 6 & 7 string format and 7 string soapbar format with hopefully an 8 string version to come.

While they look just like the blackhawks and cobras, looks can be deceiving! These babies have been designed from the ground up to suit baritone guitars and for guys that use big strings by myself. The neutral midrange we went for has meant that they work well in just about any guitar I've tried as a result though because no frequencies really stick out. The thing I love about them the most is while they handle that low tuned high gain stuff well with ease, they also excel at just about anything else you throw at them, especially mid-gain tones which is something that not many pickups geared towards this purpose can do. They're not really voiced as a "Djent" pickup set at all.

Output wise, to my ears they're about 20% cooler than the blackhawks.

The impulse bridge is c-hawk meets the rebel yell for everything high mids up and c-hawk meets emerald from everything below that. Retains the compression and "glue" you get in the blackhawks. It will give you controlled highs and lows which can be hard to control in a baritone, a consistent attack across all strings and plenty of thickness and sustain while remaining clear enough. It is by far the tightest sounding alnico I've ever heard.

The neck single coil is like none I've really heard before. It's got an extremely present and thick midrange with rolled off presence almost like a P90. Just enough bite without being harsh, plenty of cut and works great with both 500k and 250k pots. Enough power to keep up with the bridge and heaps of grind. The low end is big enough to capture the way a detuned guitar sounds but isn't boomy and is very tight. Never gets lost behind effects and has a relatively low noise floor.

The neck humbucker is like a cross between the blackhawk and VHII. It uses an asymmetric coil design to give great articulation, I wanted to capture that aspect of the single coil. It screams on lead tones, sustains for days and cleans up very well. Like both the bridge humbucker and neck single it also covers breakup tones very nicely. Sounds to my ears about as hot as the single. Split tones are unreal on this one.

Originally this was only going to be a HS set as that's my preference but I've just given Tim the green light on the neck humbucker version too with the latest prototype. I've done a few clips of the HS set for you guys but haven't been able to do this for the neck humbucker yet. Guitar i used is my seafoam green Jackson B7 pictured at the bottom of this post (27" scale, bolt on maple neck/ebony board, alder body with maple top, 550k bridge vol, 280k neck vol tuned F, A#, F, A#, D#, G, C with 12-82 kalium strings).

https://soundcloud.com/josh-smith-965110242/sets/bareknuckle-impulse-demos

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chassless

chassless Don'tDeserveMyGuitar

wow, these things ooze clarity! interesting bunch.

3. pkgitar

pkgitar SS.org Regular

They sound awesome! I came across your "me and my guitar" video with Total Guitar and you struck me as a stand up guy with a lot of detailed knowledge of your guitar(s). Definitely intrigued.

4. TommyG

TommyG Tommy G

The Chug sounds really good....

5. giwrgos02

giwrgos02 SS.org Regular

Every single sample sound so smooth and unique. These tones are so well made, they are treasure man...

Have you done any post processing though?

6. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

Everything sounds awesome, especially the neck single coil.... except for those chugs. Im just not into the modern djenty tones.

7. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

sounds wicked!

8. coffeeflush

coffeeflush SS.org Regular

There was nothing in the bare knuckle bunch that was nuetral, before this. Now I am finally interested.
    the pickups sound awesome.

9. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

Just a bit of EQ which is no different to what I would do live

10. katsumura78

katsumura78 SS.org Regular

How do these sound on a guitar that's not tuned so low or baritone scale?

11. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

pretty nice to my ears, they're just a very neutral, balanced sounding set of pickups. The low end gets chunkier on shorter scale guitars so you can get a lot more juice out of your lower notes than you would on a baritone

12. giwrgos02

giwrgos02 SS.org Regular

I guess John has tried them too, right? What was his opinion about them? Is he gonna put them on his signature guitar, since they were designed especially for baritone guitars?

13. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

Jon's one of those if it's not broke don't try and fix it sort of dudes. He's taken a lot of convincing to get the Blackhawks out of one of his guitars because they work great but I've finally talked him into trying these, will be dropping a set into one of his guitars shortly. It's hard for him to judge how these sound without hearing them in one of his axes because my jacksons sound pretty different.

14. Hey_Im_FinN

Hey_Im_FinN SS.org Regular

Just out of curiosity, what does your bass player tune to?

15. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

He tunes to F, A#, F, A#, D# and G#,D#,G#,C#, F.

16. Hey_Im_FinN

Hey_Im_FinN SS.org Regular

Down an octave from the guitars?

17. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

Cheers for taking the time to do some clips man, I might have to try out a set when the humbucker neck version is released :yesway:

18. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

Correct! He's not always playing those lowest notes though, especially in the F tuning.

19. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

My pleasure mate!

20. JacobGudge123

JacobGudge123 SS.org Regular

Sound fantastic! Seriously considering getting a set of these installed in my ESP LTD SCT-607B. Out of curiosity what are the individual gauges on that Kalium 12-82 set? Thinking of trying those strings out at some point