Bare Knuckle Warpigs

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by theronaldchase, Jun 21, 2012.

1. theronaldchase

theronaldchase SS.org Regular

Does anyone have much experience with them? I have a chance to snag one for super cheap and haven't heard much about this particular model. I hear generally favorable things about the company itself.

Also, what would be a good pickup to put in the other pickup position?

Chances are, this pickup will either go in my PRS Mike Mushok Baritone or a First Act ME501(please, go ahead and judge).

Thanks for your opinions, musings, thoughts and feelings.

2. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

i would buy it try it out wont be hard to sell if you dont like it. its a bass heavy and i believe its one of their higher output pickups.

3. Inverted11

Inverted11 New Member

What kind of wood are your guitars? If it's mahogany, don't even think about it.

4. Ben.Last

Ben.Last Formerly Lern2Swim

I couldn't disagree more. This is working with a very limited understanding of the actual tonal qualities of mahogany (It's not just a {"dark" tone wood). I have WPs in 2 different mahogany guitars and have not trouble with the low end whatsoever.

To the op, I love mine. They are a very high output pickup, but they also provide a very tight, controlled distorted tone. They also give a very good "grind" to the tone.

The most important question is:

What kind of tone are you looking for?

5. RuffeDK

RuffeDK SS.org Regular

I have a Warpig 7 bridge pickup in my RG1527, and it slays... everything!

People are hyped over BKP Aftermath, Holy Driver and Painkiller (Neck), but I think Warpig annihilates them all :D

Go for it!

6. Aurochs34

Aurochs34 SDMF, mofos

Loved my WP alnico 6. On the note of Mahogany, just be careful; know what you're after tonally. For me, in a heavily dropped LP, it became too mushy for much of what I was after.

However, especially if it's 4 conductor, you can get some really great jazzy tones. All in all, loved it, but it's definitely a real high output HB with a distinct sound of its own (that may compliment or clash with your instrument/ playing style IMO).

I prefer the neck for my purposes, with a slightly tighter bridge pup (sounded nice with a couple ceramics).

7. Evil Weasel

Evil Weasel SS.org Regular

Yeah the warpig is very hot and has a very bass centred EQ. I wouldn't consider using if for more modern sounding metal (don't want to use the dj- word but you get my drift) due to those.

It does sound amazing coil tapped though! Has a pretty unique twangy sound. If you do buy it definitely wire it up with a tap. It is a surprisingly good pickup for clean sounds in both bucker and single coil/tapped form.

8. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

i had a warpig in my les paul that i bought cause it was cheap on craigslist, its a great buy but was too hot for me and too dark. i loved the response but in the end changed it out. i love the aftermath bridge and warpig neck in mahogany though. so damn versatile

9. Ben.Last

Modern sounding metal? Yes. Djent? It's probably not the ideal choice.

That's why I would like to know what he's going for.

10. RuffeDK

RuffeDK SS.org Regular

Well, with pre-amp you can make anything possible. When I was in the studio we managed to find tons of different sounds from typical SLAM to Swe-Death through POD Farm.
    But I like the tight über-bass-response. Palm muted power chords and lead tones blew my mind :D WP is highly recommended from me!
    I do miss some punch on single-tone palm mutes, but that is no big deal for the music I play.

11. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

i do agree with this but overall the pickup is darker than most think. not to say it isnt an amazing pup. i had to re do all my patches to make it work with what i had, was a pain actually.

12. Ben.Last

But that's the case with most pickups. I wouldn't change to any pickup and just leave settings the same.

13. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

yea you are correct, i was in my pickup swapping stage and made a general preset (everything at noon) that sounded decent,(i wanted to hear a difference) in the same night i swapped out the PRS tremonti in the bridge for a SD distortion, then a 59/custom. then the warpig.

14. Erazoender

Erazoender Aliens

I'm thinking of getting a Ceramic WP and Alnico WP for my Alder/maple neck-thru Carvin DC 727. I'm not looking for a djenty pickup but I do want some percussive-ness to single notes. Thoughts?

15. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr SS.org Regular

That's exactly what they will do.

16. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace

The Warpig is great. Key to keeping the sound super tight even with it, being a dark/brutal pickup, is to keep the pickup height to reasonable levels. If its too close to the strings it may mush up a bit. Definitely get the ceramic version if it's a mahogany guitar and you tune down.

17. Addie5150

Addie5150 Amidst the chaos

@zimbloth What would be the advisable pickup height/ distance from the strings for a ceramic ,covered bridge warpig?