Bare Knuckle Black Dog vs. Nailbomb vs. Rebel Yell

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by capac, Nov 28, 2017.

Which one?

1. Black dog

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. alnico nailbomb

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. ceramic nailbomb

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. rebell yell

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

I wanna go a little more classic with my pickups in my mayones duvell 6 this time. I'm choosing between black dog, nailbomb (alnico probably) and RY.

I play in Eb/drop C#. Think of tool, gojira, dream theater...

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

I don't have experience with the nailbomb or ry but the black dog bridge works really well for gojira esque riffs. the snarling mid voicing gives it a really unique and aggressive voice. Also cleans up really well.

3. teqnick

teqnick The Juggernaut

Black Dog is th only one here that I actually have no experience with, but I see the rebel yell being able to do what you want just fine. Ever look into the VH2? I got to play the bridge last week , and oh man..first BKP to actually blow me away

4. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I have a black dog 7, and have had both the alnico and ceramic nailbombs. The black dog will do gojira a bit, but it's a bit bright for the tool songs that I know, and it doesn't sound like DT at all IMO. The abombs would be more in the DT territory, and would be passable on the others. So I think either try the RY or VHIIs, or just admit you're trying to span a reasonably wide range of tones (as far as tone snobs go) and prioritize what kind of sound you want.

When I play on the top strings with the black dog, it's like a proper traditional PAF, moreso than any other BKP I've tried (besides the mules).

5. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

I have a rebel yell set in my PRS Cu22 and I find them to be quite versatile. They sound awesome for the span between lighter rock to modern metal and they stay pretty tight too.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  6. capac

capac SS.org Regular

I'm trying to move away from super death ceramics because they just don't work that well for lower gain tones. I want something that does modern metal well and is a bit more versatile.

Nazgul doesn't do it for me; too spiky, a bit muddy in my guitar and lower gain tones are... well, not that good. I remember Aftermath being more versatile when I owned one, but the low end was really tiny (too tight maybe?) and high end was just nuts.

7. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

Based on your description the Nailbombs aren't going to do what you're looking for. The Rebel Yell set is more versatile while still being aggressive so that might do it for you. I haven't tried the Blackdogs but every other vintage/vintage hot Bareknuckle pickup I've tried has been awesome, so I'd say try that one out.

8. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've never tried the Black Dog, but I've had the A-Bomb and Rebel Yell before. I voted for the RY above :yesway: it's probably the most versatile bridge pickup I've used and doesn't really sacrifice anything when changing up genres. It's tight and has some snarly mids, but the alnico magnet helps keep it from being too pokey on the top end. It's not terribly hot either, so it stays clear and reacts well to your right hand dynamics as far as cleaning up or getting heavy.

I found the A-Bomb to be too hairy and bloated in the lower mids for modern metal rhythms, though it was cool for lead playing and some rock. The thickness may not be a problem for you being tuned to C# or higher, so I'd say it's a solid option right behind the RY.

capac and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  9. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Hmmm... guys from BKP told me that rebel yell won't be "heavy enough for what I'm doing. A-bomb or black dog?

10. Acme

Acme SS.org Regular

C-Bomb hands down, it's not even a question. From my experience:
    - A-bomb - it can get a bit flubby in the low end if we're talking about downtuning
    - RY - extremely bright with annoying highs, I wouldn't recommend it at all
    - I have a C-bomb in my 6 string Regius for Drop C and open C, it's just perfect. It has enough tightness for the metal tones and enough twang for the rock and clean tones.

11. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Ceramic nailbomb comes stock in John Browne's mayones and his 6 string tone is pretty cool IMO. I don't want something overly bright (like nazgul). I don't think C# is that low...

Black dog or Cbomb?

How are suhr aldrich? Probably a bit to classic for me?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  12. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Probably similar or less classic than the black dog at least.

13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

the aldrich could work if you are willing to do a bunch of tone shaping via pedals or have a very high gain amp.

14. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

This made me laugh^ The rebel yell is very versatile and can do all the way up to death metal, not a maybe, this is a definite. It has a slightly lose character without a boost and low gain, but boosted its very in your face. It has a lot of high mids and highs.

I find Nailbombs to be a bit of a middle ground.

I haven’t tried the Black Dogs, but I have had the alnico mule set/Aftermath’s/Juggernaughts/Cold Sweats.

The pickups for me that really had a mojo going were the Mules, the Rebel Yells, and the Cold Sweats. These 3 are flexible enough for all genres imo, my mules did feedback a tad under high gain but nothing some gating didn’t clear up.

Juggernaughts are also something to consider, but they do have a low mid quack to them. Can be EQd our easily and also versatile.

I think we get the picture, all BKPs are pretty versatile. That’s why I love them all lol.

15. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

^^^^

16. pylyo

pylyo SS.org Regular

IMO Abomb is probably the most versatile BKP pickup. Back in the time everyone used it, rock, hard rock and pretty much all kinds of metal. It was really that popular and was awarded many times by numerous magazines...
    From my experiences it is perfect for Tool sounds and can totally cover Gojira as well and can even go beyond that into modern metal.

Also, Adam Jones uses hot rodded Duncan JB and Nailbomb is that, kinda hot rodded JB version but a bit tighter and clearer. I loved it in most guitars I had it installed and it was always very versatile. I owned a Rebel Yell numerous times as well and loved it but it's brighter, with highs way more pronounced and with lots of overtones in general. Both can do it but RY will need more tweaking, while Abomb is perfect for that..

17. capac

capac SS.org Regular

Yeah, I'm afraid yell would sound too bright without enough body to it.

18. teqnick

teqnick The Juggernaut

with all thats been gone over, a bomb or even a vhII would suit you well. Great versatility and usable tones for what you need. I overlooked the abomb initially because i despised my cbomb, but it's a popular choice for a reason

19. capac

capac SS.org Regular

I mean, if i wanted to have a ceramic magnet in Abomb, I could still get it swaped by BKP for some little amount of money.

20. TommyG

TommyG Tommy G

I would also recommend that you give Nick a call at the Axe Palace and get his recommendation based upon the guitar, wood combinations, etc...
    I have a Mahogany Schecter C1 Elite and he recommended either Black Dogs for a lower output option or Rebel Yell for higher output.
    The Painkiller is the highest output but its not what I was looking for.
    I ended up getting the Black Dogs and I really like them. Just because they are lower in output doesn't mean you can't get a good modern metal tone out of them.

I recorded this with Black Dogs...
    https://soundcloud.com/tommygiant/know-who-you-are
    Best of Luck...

KnightBrolaire likes this.