Bands that you believe have sold out...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by M3CHK1LLA, May 22, 2012.

1. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

when a band begins to make a name for themselves there is even more pressure to deliver a better album or improve their music...

...this is a fine line for some. for others the $ changes their lives and their sound completely. they tend to make music that is more commercially acceptable - whatever that is.

any bands that you believe have sold out?

whos still soldiering on, making music despite the smaller paychecks?

this encompasses all genres. discuss.

2. pattonfreak1

pattonfreak1 Bored Member

Sold out?

Metallica

/thread

3. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Green Day and Weezer> Both bands early stuff was cool. Then the paychecks came and the quality left.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I'd have to say Children of Bodom. They ditched their neo-classical power metal sound and went for a more melodic death metal sound which, strangely, sounds easier to sell. :lol:

I'm also gonna throw in Arch Enemy. Not sure what happened, but it sounds like they went from death metal to borderline metalcore. :ugh:

5. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

We have a winner, people. :lol:

7. fps

fps Kit

Honestly, any band that gets big enough to make a living playing instruments, however they do it, good luck to them. Metallica did it, deliberately, having already laid down 4 killer albums and they are the biggest metal band of all time, with a huge variety of material and continue to be one of the best live acts for their legions of fans. And yes, having legions of fans makes your live shows better automatically, but they're there cos they wanna be!!

8. M3CHK1LLA

i think we may find that the punk fans will tend to be a little more harsh on their bands than most other ppl :lol:

9. ByDesign

ByDesign :::::::::

Architects sold out with The Here And Now.

Even if they are trying to back pedal now... it's too late for me.

to

10. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

While that is true I must say I'm not really looking at it from a punk perspective. I mean lets face it, Green Day, even at thier best was just a cheap imitation of punk and Weezer was always more alternative rock, but lets not play the genre game :lol:

11. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    As Bill Withers noted, when a furniture store says "Sold out!" it's considered to be a good thing, that people want the product you're selling.

Or, looking at it another way, it's impossible to sell out if the product isn't desirable.

12. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I honestly can't think of any. Metallica's hard rock albums sounded like Metallica to me, some of the songs being pretty rockin', even if some weren't my thing. The only thing closest to 'selling out' I can think of is Metallica's 'Death Magnetic'... selling out to the loudness wars and, despite having great songs, sounds terrible.

I was going to say 'hipsters', but they get things second-hand.

13. M3CHK1LLA

i believe their first albums - kill, ride, master & garage days are their best. im sure a lot of ppl will disagree with me but when the justice album came out, to me it was the turning point. most feel it was the black album.

...please do not confuse us with the facts :lol:

14. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

This.

Also, topic related:

15. cronux

cronux SS.org Regular

Slipknot
    KoRn
    Machine Head
    Children of Bodom
    etc.

let's say almost every band from Roadrunner records...

16. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

I'm fine with someone wanting to take a more commercial approach like Metallica, but they did it their way, they weren't hopping on any bandwagons, the success came to them, they didn't chase it.

The thing I find disgusting is trend-hopping and jumping on the dick of every new trend in order to stay relevant. Bands like Machine Head come to mind. Those kind of bands will never have my respect no matter what.

17. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

"I wanted to go back to being heavier and I think we've got our balls back. We're not a band that should be on daytime radio and even when we got that stuff, it felt a bit uncomfortable."

They are ashamed it seems. :nuts:

I just, I dunno... I like their music but there was a very solid effort of going "radio friendly". I was kind of surprised about the whole thing.

18. Seventary

Seventary Norwegian metalhead

Garage days does not count imo. Covers. And yes, if selling out means going for a more commercial approach, wich it does, i totally disagree. If ..and justice for all.. would have had bass on it ;) it would have sounded like a more natural progression from Master of Puppets. Black album; shorter songs, "verse, chorous, verse, chorous, bridge, solo, verse, chorous verse", top-dollar producer. Of course they set out to sell more records. :) Still think the albums after ..and justice were good. Different but still good heavy-metal records.

19. Loomer

Loomer Comfortably Dumb

Arch Enemy. From fairly decent melodeath to super-boring entry level metal with a stupid fucking "WHOA HEY LOOK AT US WE HAVE A CHICK SINGER!"-gimmick. Yeah, you have a woman in the band LIKE OTHER BANDS HAVE HAD FOR DECADES, you really are special snowflakes. Great.

COB. They sucked from the get-go IMO, but the recent stuff is just hair metal for angsty teens.

In Flames. Well, this goes without saying, doesn't it!?

And now the other end:

Bolt Thrower.. This band is one of the only bands that can have a shirt that says "In A World of Compromise, Some Don't" and back it up the whole way. They never, ever let their fans down, and stick to their principles. The music has never lost quality, since they can rightfully claim to have no duds in their back catalogues, and their policy of always keeping merch and ticket prices down further cements this. Also, they've had a female member all the way (the mighty Jo Bench), but have never, ever used that as a cheap gimmick unlike some other bands.

Napalm Death. Still as pissed-off today as always, and manage to straddle the line between sticking to what works and still experimenting and expanding their sound, in the most elegant manner possible.

20. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

Bodom and Metallica are the two that spring to mind.

Bodom used to be an awesome band, around Follow the Reaper they were almost like a power metal band with a black metal vocalist, which works way better than you'd think. Now they're nearly bordering on metalcore, IMO. Much more watered down. There's still some decent music coming out, but nothing like as good as it used to be. Still has good solos though.

Metallica, we all know. The Black Album was probably their sell-out point, but at least they chose to sell out with something good. It's one of their best albums. If they'd carried on down that route it would have been great. But they didn't. They kept diluting the formula, over and over again, releasing shittier and shittier albums, and they'll never get back to where they were. People buy the newer albums, sure, but it doesn't sound like Metallica. And Lulu was the final nail in the coffin. It just proves that they're not interested in being a good metal band anymore, they're just a bunch of rich old men dicking around with 70-year-old acid junkies and expecting people to like it.

But what if your original product wasn't doing badly at all, and you just made it worse for the sake of even more money, instead of having the courage in your convictions and sticking with the sound that people come to expect from you? Metallica, after they "sold out" with the Black Album, were one of the biggest rock bands on the planet, pretty much. They could have carried on with that style, being slightly more accessible but still very much a great metal band, and still ended up sleeping on a big bed of money like they do now.

You can sell out, but it doesn't necessarily mean you have to make your music worse. Metallica should have spotted that the Black Album was a good sound for them, and stuck with it a while longer. There was plenty of mileage in it.

I'm not butthurt that bands change their sound, often it's what they actually want, and it's cool that they have the balls to change the sound in that case. I mean, it's not as if the old stuff has disappeared...