Bands first single/ my first attempt at recording/mixing/mastering something

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by klinic, Oct 8, 2018.

1. klinic

klinic SS.org Regular

So, my band just put out our first single (well, a week ago). I'm pretty proud of it as it was my first attempt at recording, mixing and mastering anything. I didn't even really know what mastering was before I decided to take up this project. So this is a little bit of a plug (maybe a lot) but also a genuine request for feedback and criticism as a lot of this was me feeling around in the dark and trying out whatever seemed to work. I don't know the "correct" way to do things, so I'm sure there are lots of things that I could improve on that wouldn't even occur to me.

Guitars are all done through my AX8, drums are a midi kit through EZdrummer and vocals were recorded through an AT2020 in the corner of the room with the worst acoustics in the world.

Anyway, have a listen and let me know what you think! We're hoping to put out a lot more music very soon, so hopefully I'll have the chance to put your feedback into action very soon! I'd love to try micing a real kit at some point and definitely like to try a better treated room for the vocals.

https://neorelic.bandcamp.com/track/im-blank