Axe FX vs Amplitube vs Revalver vs TH3 vs Pod Farm vs 8505 vs Guitar Rig vs Helix: 5150 edition

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Guitarjon, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

With all the 'vs' and modeler battle demos going on I thought it would be cool to do a few SDS style.
    We're comparing 8 different amp modelers in a full band context, just as you would use/hear them in real life.
    All of the amp modelers are running through the exact same OwnHammer 4x12 EVH IR.
    All of the plugins without IR loaders go through NadIR (with the internal cabs disabled).

The modelers in this video include:

Fractal Audio Axe FX
    Overloud TH3
    Peavey Revalver 4
    IK Multimedia Amplitube 4
    Native Instruments Guitar Rig 5
    Line 6 Pod Farm 2
    Nick Crow 8505
    Line 6 Helix Floor

This episode focuses on the legendary Peavey 5150 amp.

I'd love to hear your thoughts guys!

Elric, Metropolis and lewis like this.
  2. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

In a studio enviro, with all that post EQ, not much point is there?

3. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

May I ask why you think there is no point?

4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I honestly dont get that comment?
    EQ in a studio environment is exactly where you expect to see it right?

5. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Sorry, what I meant is they all can be made so close, it doesn't matter much which you use in studio. Making the comparison kind of pointless if you are post producing all of them heavily. It can also be taken as it does not matter which one you own, they can all be made to sound good in a mix with engineering. Did not mean that anyone should forego post production in the studio :)

Spinedriver likes this.
  6. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Thanks for chiming in!
    It was exactly the point of this video to show how each modeler can sound in a 'finished' product.
    It's definitely about the small and subtle differences in this way, but to me this is a very honest comparison.
    Perhaps for some people this shows that you don't have to spend a whole lot of money on a modeler to get a great sound.
    I'd say choosing good IR's like OwnHammer is more important.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  7. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I haven't listened yet, but in general, I find most modelers can sound pretty good. It is usually about the feel when it comes to the differences. Many of them just feel flat, even if they sound good.

Guitarjon likes this.
  8. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I would probably be happy with any of these sounds but felt that the higher end modelers like Axe-Fx and Line6 Helix did have some more "air" to the sound. Would be interesting to hear a similar comparison but for lower gain sounds.

IR's do make a huge difference in the overall sound though. I probably spend more time playing around with them compared to amp models.

cwhitey2 and Guitarjon like this.
  9. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Pretty cool stuff. Man, TH3 is really impressive, there, IMHO. AxeFx was probably the fave but TH3 is definitely legit for a software only solution.

It's impressive how good they all can be made to sound. You could have told everyone any of those clips were done with the high gain head du jour and fooled a lot of folks. ;)

Good times.

Guitarjon likes this.
  10. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Thanks man, and I agree, good times indeed!

Elric likes this.
  11. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Axe and Helix really stand out and sure will feel better than any software modelers, TH3 and Revalver at 3rd place in my opinion. As a TH3 user I've been gasing Helix a lot lately and all these videos with good tones are convincing me to buy it, because it's more in my price range than Fractal's stuff.

Guitarjon likes this.
  12. Guitarjon

Guitarjon SS.org Regular

Do it!
    Or would Helix Native be an option?

13. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I am curious to see if we will all read "Helix Native is pretty good, but doesn't feel quite as real and dynamic as an actual Helix...".

It will be interesting to see how much the hardware makes a difference. I don't think there has ever been equivalent platforms before to compare.

Guitarjon likes this.
  14. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Original Helix floorboard mainly for rehearsing and live use, because I like the looks and functions it provides.

Guitarjon likes this.
  15. getowned7474

getowned7474 Neck_Pro Contributor

I'm interested in this as well. I'm sure there are going to be plenty of complaints from people using cheap audio interfaces.

I also wonder how cpu and memory intensive it will be. Generally specialized DSP run much more efficiently than on normal computers so I would expect it to be fairly intensive if it's a 1 for 1 replication of the modeling used in the helix. Wouldn't be surprised if there are complaints about it on that front as well. Hopefully most people spending $400 on a plugin will realize that they need a good machine to run it on and proper audio equipment.

Guitarjon likes this.
  16. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

You'll have to try it yourself to get the real scoop, I'll bet. A lot of people will do the 'there's something missing' thing solely as a knee jerk because they have a psychological bias because they paid $1400 for the hardware and $99 for the plug or just cannot abide the idea that plugs compete with hardware favorably. Then, some people will also use the plug stand alone with junk interfaces or marginal computers. Some people will do both. So I bet the results will skew against whether it is true or not.

I know I exhibit bias myself when I compare my Axe 2 against plugins. It's human nature. Might as well be honest with ourselves.

As for equivalents: Uh, Pod Farm? The XT was a flagship when that was released and while it is not a modern post Fractal unit it was dead bang. Of course the question is can we do it this generation with that ginormously raised bar, so your point stands but it technically, I suppose it has been done. Truth is the magic of modelers is all in the software, really.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Guitarjon likes this.
  17. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Plug ins are very dependent on hardware and drivers. If you don't have a decent interface with solid drivers (also OS dependent), you get latency issues that are hard to ignore.

Guitarjon likes this.
  18. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

I love demos like these. Thanks for doing it man.

Guitarjon likes this.
  19. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Line 6 really stepped up with the Helix huh? I remember playing the 5150 sim on the HD500x and it was pretty thin.

Guitarjon likes this.
  20. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Been running plugins for years in various contexts... haven't had latency issues since like 2008 or so, LOL. Get something with decent ASIO drivers if PC... and Mac just works with a quality interface.

Guitarjon likes this.