Axe FX II Ultra+ or AX8?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by ZombieLloyd, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:00 AM.

1. ZombieLloyd

ZombieLloyd Not one 7 string

Hey guys, so earlier this year, I had planned on saving up for a Kemper Profiling Amp, things didn't quite go to plan and I ended up getting that Washburn Solar V I posted the NGD for a couple of weeks or so ago. I've been thinking lately of saving up for my first pedal board, then I thought about the Kemper again and since the Fractal effects are better, apparently, I've decided I want to get one of those units. The question is, is there any difference between the rack unit and the AX8? Or is it literally just the form factor? Is the rack version worth the extra £1,000+ more than the AX8? Especially considering I'd need to buy the extra footswitch to go with the rack version if I want to use it live. For now, it's just for home recording and trying out different amp sims and seeing which suit me best.

2. CerealKiller

CerealKiller SS.org Regular

ZombieLloyd likes this.
  3. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

The other thing I recall was the AX8 does not allow you to combine 2 amp blocks and the Axe FX does.

I had the AX8 and it was really awesome FWIW.

ZombieLloyd likes this.
  4. ZombieLloyd

Firstly, sorry I got the model names mixed up haha. I thought it was ultra not XL. Oops. Secondly, I think I will save up for the rack unit. The AX8 seems really good for the price but I'd like to try out stereo rigs and a lot of different effects. But since I can't have more than one instance of an amp or cabinet, the AX8 isn't for me.

5. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Given the comparative limitations of the AX8 and the current/recent sale on the 2XL+, I’d suggest auditioning an older model off Reverb for $800 and using a cheap MIDI controller or old floorboard multi fx with a MIDI-send.

In my case, I have an old PODHD500 to control the Axe FX at home, as well as double as an FX substitute until the FX has depreciated enough for me to not care about playing out with it.

ZombieLloyd likes this.
  6. ZombieLloyd

It's tougher for me to get an older model because I'm in the UK, not the US. I could easily get a midi floorboard though, and it's about £600 for the official footswitch so I'd rather not get it if it's not necessary. Plus, as I said I'm not gigging and won't be in the foreseeable future so footpedals aren't necessary for me anyway. I just want something that'll let me try out a lot of amps and a lot of effects.

7. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Ah. It’s a shame Helix Native was cracked a day after release; because all those pirates have pirated it. Hopefully you find some other cheap way of auditioning modern-quality amp and effect models in your bedroom that doesn’t require investing in costly hardware.

8. ZombieLloyd

I hope so too, so far all I've got is Youtube videos and no one plays quite the way I do so it's hard to get how it would sound with my play style. I mean, I essentially just play Swedish death metal but everyone with one of these units are all about Djent or atmospheric stuff that doesn't represent what I want out of these.

9. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If all you play is Swedish death metal, get a blockletter 5150 and call it a day.

Dineley and ZombieLloyd like this.
  10. ZombieLloyd

I'd like the opportunity to try out different effects and amp types. I do play other styles, but my actual recorded music is in that one style.

11. CerealKiller

CerealKiller SS.org Regular

You can still have stereo cabs in the AX8, and most of the effects are there as well, but yeah, if you need two amps you need the rack version.

ZombieLloyd likes this.
  12. ZombieLloyd

I'll get the AX8 and see how it goes. If I feel I'm missing something, I'll sell it and save for the rack model. Ola Englund told me the "AX8 is good enough" so that's helped my choice a little haha.

Dineley, LeoLmX and CerealKiller like this.