Axe Fx II, Superior drummer 2.0, attempts at electronic inclusion. Tips for the mix?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by aawshred, Apr 15, 2012.

1. aawshred

aawshred SS.org Regular

Hey guys, i just recorded this with axe fx II, superior drummer (metal machine with metal foundry cymbals). I used logic pro 9 and all the synth sounds you hear are just from that. I use a charvel So-cal 6 string with Lace Alumatone Deathbuckers. And a fender J bass with ampeg SVX. Any tips for enhancing my mix?

ZOMG HAXORS 1st mix by Echopraxia on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Kurkkuviipale likes this.
  2. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

all in all it´s not bad. the overheads could be louder though. but they also sound very much compressed. might wanna check that. also try putting a plate reverb as send effect on the snare. will work wonders in making it less dry.

3. aawshred

aawshred SS.org Regular

Thanks man, i will try all those things! I'm really looking to get my drum sound optimal so all of that will help me a lot.

Can i just put a plate reverb on the snare channel? What's the significance of sending it to a bus?

4. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

I like dry snares, but hey, that's just me. The overheads definitely need to be louder. Try messing around with the EQ for them as well, and cut a bit of the flubby, weak low-end. As it stands, they sound like 50-year-old cymbals :lol:. The kick could use some tightening up, as well.

In terms of composition, I really enjoyed the glitches and the synths, as well as the actual guitar riffs. It's damn good.

5. aawshred

aawshred SS.org Regular

Thanks so much man! Ill work with the cymbals for sure!

6. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

Plate reverb is a must on snare! Short (less than 1.5seconds) plate is a great and natural sounding way of prolonging the snare transient. Significance of sending it to a bus is just to save CPU power and to maintain the dry snare volume so you won't have to be making up the gain in every turn. It's rare to use the reverb directly on the channel since you want to have multiple reverbs (one reverb only can sound either boring or stupid) on the snare.

I usually have plate reverb, dark room reverb (longer ~2s reverb with lowpass filter set to lower than 3khz), bright room reverb (shorter ~1-1.5s with a HP-filter set to about 500hz so that it won't capture the body of the snare in it), normal room reverb (<1s, filters either off or maybe a low pass filter @ 9khz or something) and sometimes I put a stock hall reverb just to smoothen the other reverbs. Just keep in mind that you want to have the dry snare loud enough so don't put too much verb!

7. Johnmar

Johnmar Banned

Will it be possible to make some drums from SD for me?