Axcess BS-2

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Jerich, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

this little toy seems to be showing up in all the big guys racks...John Pettrucci,Ed Vanhalen,joey Tafolla. I just got it three months ago and cannot see not useing it..It is a tube buffer without an actual tube...what it does is nothing less than awsome..it is not an effect but a buffer it makes every little nuance of your picking cut through and you will hear tones and feel tones that were being killed by you effects before going into the amp..I use mine as such: Line 6 Pod Pro (in it's effects loop BBE and Damage Control Engineering Pre amp ) out of line 6 into this BS-2 by axcess from there split to two different sides of my poweramp...they are $120.00 from Axcess themselves ask for Mario and tell em' I sent you...go to thier web site and check this thing out it is great for having two amps running At the same time..with an isolated ground.....like a 5150 and a fender twin ..hehehe!!!
    www.axcess-electronics.com

2. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

That POD was probably killing your tone...

3. The Sleeper

The Sleeper SS.org Regular

Man, Mario makes the best gear period, and is customer service is second to none. He is absolutely the finest person I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. I have 3 GRX4 switchers (each one has a buffer in it the same as the BS2). I'm actually thinking of selling them so I can get Mario's RX-1 switcher which will integrate alot better with my rig.

Catch ya's........Joe :)

4. Goliath

Goliath Contributor

Yea, I like the XT's tones (some of them) but never found anything good to be had in the Pro. To each their own.

5. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

I use the pod most of the time because it is consistant...it sounds the same all the time when you need it too...I am a tube freak I love my old Lee Jackson/Metaltronix heads but hey they are too loud too uncontrollable and a pain in the Azz to tour with....I have been playing my Damage Control Engineering Preamp for the last 5 shows I did and two Clinics and seems It rocks . I cannot wait to get them out to the mass market...I like My Engl pre amp too is really cooks..I can get any tone anyone else has out there with a POD XT...Yeah feed back is hard to get proper when running threw the computer and Monitors but it works for me. I have had people come to my studio with Mesa's Marshalls,Bogners,VHT's and 90% of the time I can get the exzact sound they want from the pod XT Pro..and run it direct for tight lots of comprimise...and I'll tell you a few guys were quite angry I even vrought it up in the first place but after I worked with it while they played thier amp so I could match it...they were sold on it...Three guys went on to purchase them for themselves....now that Line 6 are about done...lets see who next comes out with the great stuff...And Yes Mario is the man.....I reccomend him anyday...

6. Digital Black

I owned a POD, there just isn't enough tweakability. You really can't get into the individual effect settings and such. Reverb was the worst i ever heard. Could be why most albums don't have any, just tons of compression. MY old zoom 707II had more control for less.
    The fact that anybody would run one of them in front of all that expensive gear baffles me. It's like buying buget car parts for your Corvette...

7. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

there is not one product out there that does every sound known to man...piont blank....but the POD can replicate distortions ..I use and EVENTIDE DSP 7500 for all the tweek effects or Sans Amp Ps1 or Various TC Electronic Racks I have an G Major that really works well....I am sorry to mis direct you..I am talking about dirty distortrf or overdriven Guitars....the tweeks like reverb/delay/chorus I use other effects tweeked in it....I just came back from Pro Tools Camps as I like to call it....Degidesign Advance classes.. I have TMD..and I seen three separate instructors use the POD Xt for distorted guitar ...so i have news for you 8 of 10 recording studios in the USA have Line 6 stuff that is a fact......it really doesn't matter if you like it personally or not professionals are using it and it is out there...Lynkin park you really think they use amps...NOT......PROTOOLS BABY.....Line 6- AMP FARM....

8. Digital Black

well i guess that's cool. But I know I'm not the only one who says the stufff comming out today sounds like crap. Pro-tools and Line 6 make it easy, doesn't mean it sounds good. Can't say I would put a linkn park CD up against older metal stuff...

9. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

copy and paste bands drive me crazy...Linkin fart!!! without Pro tools they would not exist...period..by they way they suck ass!!! POD's mixed with real mic'ed amps get a more consistant guitar tone. they work off each other...99 out a 100 studios out there use some sort of Line 6 gear. (((fact))) but that doesn't mean everyone likes it. I have not had a guitar player in the last three years come into the studio that I could not get a good workable guitar tone for with the Line 6 stuff. when you record metal/grindcore/black metal like i do some of the guitar players just play fast and sloppy I always tend to give them a lesson on guitar tone to record them. but when they leave they always say do not tell anyone i used that amp modeler thingy!!! but we know the truth man...hehehe

the BS2-a is for people who use alot of pedals turn Low z into High z for good guitar singnal that all and it has an isolated ground for two different amp/cab signals out so you get no humzzzzzz.

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Really? Could you provide a link to a reputable source stating that? Maybe if you include home studios, sure, but that's just because there's so many more of them.

While I'm not the hugest Linkin Park fan, "With You" from their debut f'in kills. Great song.

-D

11. keithb

keithb Forum MVP

I bet a lot of studios have a POD or DD4 or something kicking around, but I doubt they use it for every song....

12. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

Quote...Really? Could you provide a link to a reputable source stating that? Maybe if you include home studios, sure, but that's just because there's so many more of them.

That shows Ignorance really DREW! Or Lack Of Knowledge. I make my living through learning more and more about recording I have a degree at the Recording School Of Music and have a Bachelors degree in Music. I strongly disagree with you.

Andy Sneap says they sound great but would never use them for full on but to add consistance to .

Colin Richardson-POD is a great tool to add to the texture of Distorted guitars

Bob Katz- Line 6 stuff is everywhere just no one wants to admit it

I go to alot of Master Pro tools Class's and hear people from around the world talk I will say MOST of them Have a Line 6 product in some form or another,
    Ampfarm
    Pod's
    Spyder
    HD
    Pedals

I have a POD pro and hear they Make an PODXT2 now and I only use it as a filler or to reamp...reamping is the best part of Line 6 stuff . I can tweek them good enough to just about get the exzact sound that was recorded, I still would not use it for everything,But re-amping "F" yeah!

Owe yeah I also Own some of thier stock............ :fawk:

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

So? Trust me, buddy, you don't want to go comparing degrees with me. ;)

I wouldn't be shocked if most studios have something with a Line6 logo on it - hell, I keep my J-Station around because it rocks for really weird ambient effects. But if you're telling me that 99% of studios have Line6 gear in regular use... The real selling point of that stuff is that it gives home studios tolerable simulations of a fleet of amps that would be cost-prohibitive to purchase and maintain. When you're talking about a good professional studio, though, that's not an issue- you have an amp collection on hand of a number of diverse sounding amps, and if you need a sound that you can't get from something on hand, you have contacts available to rent anything you still need. Everyone I've talked to who works in a good studio or who has spent time in one tells me this, and it's seconded by countless interviews with major artists talking about the recording process. Hell, George Lynch still talks about a modded JCM-800 head he rented for a session that he fell in love with that he couldn't buy because they wouldn't sell it to him.

Jerich, Line6 makes good home studio gear, but nothing more. for 99% of applications, the real amp, properly set, mic'd, and mixed, will sound noticeably better than the Line6 equivalent, and the difference in "feel" between the simulation and the real thing will give a more inspired performance every time.

Now, if you still disagree with me, how about instead of calling me stupid you try to prove me wrong. :)

-D

14. Richardscuro

Richardscuro SS.org Regular

Ya know,

I can see both sides. I use Line6 because it is easy and flexable. I have had extensive experience miking my Triple Rectifier and using Line6 products direct. I actually like the sound of the Line6 stuff better. Am I a professional engineer, no. I like Line6 because everytime I go into the studio I can get the EXACT same tone as last time if I need to. I just don't like having to spend 1-2 hours miking up my cab everytime I want to record.

I will tell you this. I will most likely never play out with my Triple Rectifier again. It is safely in my office at home and will stay there were I can enjoy it by myself.

Some people might call me lazy, but I do not enjoy lugging out a rack processor, midi board, patch cables, and my halfstack to shows. I did that for years. The Line6 stuff allows me to do what I love most, Play, write and record.

I think in order to put physical modelling technology into the proper perspective you have to do two things:

First, Have extensive experience using both the latest in Physical Modelling Technology (not dated stuff like first generation PODs and old Johnsons) and traditional tube amps in the studio

Second, You have to go into using Physical Modelling technology with as few preconseptions and expectations as possible.

One final word. I have an immense ammount of respect for all of you on this board. This is because we represent a group of guitar players that do not follow the paths of the traditional 6-string player. We have embraced the imagination and possibilities that 7-string guitar stands for. It just seems to me that embracing and exploring new technologies (including Physical Modelling Technology) is just a natural extension of that vision.

Maybe it's just me. :(

15. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

I like opinions just like the next guy but someone has no idea what they are saying they should be quiet, so I refuse to talk anymore about this subject due to Kids...think they know better..let me go off to my STUDIO to work..while you play in your Home studio... :fawk:

16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Jerich, it's all ice cream, but as long as we're each happy with our tones, then that's all that counts. Personally, I'm pretty happy with my Mesa. :)

17. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

Aye easy does it. There are a lot of home studio guys on here.

I don't know who the guys you listed are Jerich, but do me a fav and don't call people Ignorant just because they disagree with you. It's all a matter of opinion.

18. Christopher

Christopher Total Rondo Addict! Contributor

I go back and forth all the time about modeling. And yeah, I'm a home studio guy. I'm pretty much in love with what modeling is trying to do. Unfortunately it isn't quite there yet. I always run out and grab the "newest" thing as soon as it comes out hoping they have it right. Then, after using the piece for a few months the whole fantasy comes apart and I go back to tubes.

I think the sound is getting very close. Especially if you ignore the direct recording hype and just do the old fashioned thing and mic the modeler through a cab. Of course that kind of defeats the purpose.

While working on my buddy's blues CD this week I got a real rude awakening. We started off using my Vetta and recording directly out of the head into the recorder. The tones were a little flat and lifeless so we retracked all the tracks running the Vetta into my Recto 4x12 and micing it with various mics.

Well I sold the Vetta a couple of weeks ago now since we had all the rhythm tracks done. Well we started doing guitar leads, fills, and solos last night and I mic'd up my MK IV through the same 4x12 and it was pretty scary how much warmer the tone was to my ears. We may have to retrack once more.

19. Digital Black

99% of stuidos have line 6 gear and shitty bands....
    It's not a question over tube vs. solid state.
    Worst thing about line 6 stuf is it's lack of real tweakability. I have more control over my settings on my Rocktron making my sound unique-and not stale carbon copy stuff..

I guess home recording studio guys are all washouts and tools because we can't afford to run with the "big dogs". Well hot damn, I guess I should just quit then....

20. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

That's actually one of the things that bugs me about Line6...

I happen to like the Rectifier's clean channel. Quite a lot, in fact, it's a rather unique tone, and deep as hell - you start palm muting clean notes and you feel it in your chest. So, where's that sound on a PodXT?

Also, while the models all have "master volumes," they don't change the amount of modeled power-tube saturation. And, last I heard, that's the whole point of a tube amp. It's like buying a head with a fixed preamp gain setting - who the hell would do that?

I like the basic idea of the technology, but it's got a LONG way to come yet.

Sephi, I'm with you - I've heard some excellent sounding home recordings and some horrible sounding pro studio recordings. I think the quality of a recording has much more to do with the guy mixing and recording than it does to do with the hardware he or she has to work with, especially as in the last 5 years or so the "price barrier" for home studio gear has plummeted.