Awesome instant food!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by Naren, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

There is a lot of crappy instant food out there, but there is a lot of awesome instant food too. I really like the "retoruto" aluminum packages that you heat up in boiled water, because it tastes just as fresh as if it were just made.

I also like any instant ramen that costs more than 100 yen (the stuff below that is pretty much crap). I usually don't buy the 350-450 yen instant ramen because that's just too expensive. Usually I get stuff from 150-300 yen.

I attached some pictures of instant food I've had over the past few days (and a pizza).

The first pic is of some instant chashumen (a kind of ramen that has sliced cooked pork in it) with some spicy miso ramen and yakisoba boxes around it. The second pic is Ippeichan yakisoba, my favorite instant yakisoba (and I've tried them all). I even have a Ippeichan accessory on my cell phone (a little ippeichan yakisoba box with all the product stuff printed on the front and if I open it up, there is plastic yakisoba on the inside that looks pretty real. I got it to replace my Kitsune Ramen accessory that broke a few months ago). The third picture is order-out yakiniku pizza. Half the pizza is "shio-karubi" and the other half is "karubi" flavor. A uniquely Japanese pizza. It was pretty good, actually.

You should see my pantry. I've got tons of different kinds of instant ramen and instant yakisoba in there. Usually I only eat one once a week (sometimes twice a week), but it's dang good stuff. Some of the instant ramen is almost as good as the real stuff, which is saying quite a bit. :yesway:

Attached Files:

2. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Now, that looks tasty!

3. Naren

Ha ha. Somehow, I thought you'd like it.

4. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

5. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Man, I eat frozen food for lunch 5 days a week, that stuff would be a welcome change. :yesway: The cheap-ass "chinese" frozen food in 'take-out-style' boxes is pretty good though, but still.......

6. Naren

Wow. That's gross. I watched the interview with him. It makes me so glad that I can eat stuff like in the pictures I posted.

I ate frozen food quite a bit back in the US. I got sick of frozen Chinese pretty quickly. But it's cheap. You can say that about it. And it doesn't taste bad. You just get pretty sick of it quickly... The frozen mexican food was dang good. I never got sick of that. There were some weeks where I'd eat frozen chimichangas or toquitos or whatever every day.

7. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

I usually rotate through the stouffer's stuff, the Chicken w/ Rontini pasta(in basil pesto) is actually quite good. Just getting bored of it... Oh yeah, and never eat anything "asian" from stouffers, nasty-nasty-nasty.

8. Naren

I usually don't eat stuff by stouffers, but they do have a few things I really liked (breaded pork cutlets in tomato sauce with cheese was one of them, I think). I agree about their "asian" food. Pretty nasty stuff.

My brother was a frozen pizza maniac. He'd make frozen pizzas every night some weeks. There were a few brands I really liked and some I couldn't stand. But I worked at pizza restaurants for almost 4 years when I was in high school and college, so I really didn't ever need to eat frozen pizza. I could take a small pizza home for free. I remember this one limited-time special frozen pizza that was pretty dang good...

9. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Eh, I usually order a chicken-tomato-spinach-alfredo pan pizza from Papa Johns. That's my pizza of choice lately... Before, when I was into greezy food, I would get a Philly Cheese Steak pizza from this local place, but that became too much after a while.

10. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

:agreed: I miss Japan.

11. Naren

Papa Johns is the best cheap orderout pizza. To think that I have to pay roughly $20 for a medium size delivery pizza here. :mad: Back where I used to live, I could get the pizza buffet for $4.99 at Pizza Hut. Or I could order a large Papa Johns pizza for like $7.99. :mad: :mad:

That is one thing that drives me mad, but since Japanese just think Pizza = expensive, they're willing to pay that kind of money if they want a pizza. I can't live without pizza, so I usually end up ordering one once a month. Of course, in the US, I ordered them like 10 times a month, but at these Japanese prices, I can't afford that. (Well, maybe I could, but I'd be pretty poor as a result. Might not even be able to pay my rent.)