Avatar: The Legend of Korra (Nickelodeon's Avatar Sequel series)

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by soliloquy, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Bekanor

Bekanor Renegade Folk Hero

I knew, and it made me double sad that he passed away and had to be replaced for Season 3 of TLA and onwards. Like I wasn't sad enough at the end of "Tales of Ba Sing Sae". :(

2. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

Into the Legend of Korra now, 5 episodes in and its friggin awesome, its like TLA but more adult - themes of terrorism really hits home (Im in the Canadian Armed Forces, with the terror attacks this month against CAF mbrs) - but its awesome all the same. Can't wait til Korra gets that douchebag Amun haha (no spoilers plz!)

3. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

season 4 so far seems to be a bit of a sleeper season. kinda slow. and once again, lacks direction. hopefully it picks up.

now, regardless of how it goes, i will keep watching it though as i am enjoying it. but still a bit slow....

4. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

The latest episode was a bit slower. But it's all setting the scene

I'm really interested in seeing what happens between mako and bolin. They're going to end up pitted against one another at some point!

5. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

the ending of the new episode pissed me off

I hope it's a ruse. Zhu-Li and Varrick are my favourite characters from the entire show. I hope she does 'the thing'.

6. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

What do you think "The Thing" is? I feel like it's definitely a ruse. Man this season is really starting to shape up for awesomeness. I still feel like there's more to su-yin than we're seeing right now

7. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

whatever happened to general iroh (zuko's grand son?) from seaso 1...?

just saying..

8. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Oh yeah! HMMMMMMM

9. Sicarius

Sicarius Reggie J Worthington

I bought the Korra game for PS4.

It's not terrible, I like the look, the targeting could use some work, but I like it so far.

$15 on PSN

10. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

I might suss it out on steam. I want to support the avatar universe and hopefully contribute to keeping it alive.

Although in an article the creators stated that after korra ends we will only see a couple more comics and that's it for now.

11. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

okay, episode 6 was awesome! finally some action in this season. and varik is brilliant!!!

i dont get why siu lynn didn't metal bend out of her confines when it too was made of metal. same thing goes for bolin when he was in jail and could have metal bended out of the jail. though his metal bending needs work. now sure, they did say they were using titanium, thus cant bend using bending. yet thats what they did to unlock the folks from the jail in the first place.....humm...

maybe so, however, in another interview they said that when aang's avatar ended, they never thought they'd make another avatar. they had brainstormed, but nothing really clicked.

the show became more popular AFTER the series was done and became a sort of cult classic.

thats when the creators got together and committed to korra's universe.

they also are hopeful the same would happen with korra.

i'm waiting for season 3 to come out on dvd. want to buy the original series but they are WAY to expensive :(

12. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Far out, what an episode. I really don't want to wait a whole week for the next one...

13. Sicarius

Bolin can't metal bend, he's a lava bender.

14. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

that episode when korra was metal bending, bolin was able to bend as well. granted it was minimal where he could make a sphere into an egg shape at best.

15. Sicarius

He was barely able to metal bend the easiest metal to learn metal bending on. It's safe to say Bolin can not metal bend.

16. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

I generally hate "Flashback" episodes of shows...but that one was pretty good. Mainly Wu's commentary and the Varrick part

17. bouVIP

bouVIP SS.org Regular

Varrick's story was hilarious and I love his ending line.

"Never let the truth get in the way of a good story"

for those who overthink movies too much :p

18. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

I was pretty nonplussed with the latest episode. Felt like the animators wanted a week off more than anything.

19. brutalwizard

brutalwizard Pretty Your Petunia

One of the creators posted

"In a couple hours the eighth chapter of Korra Book 4 will be released online, and I suppose, if you are none the wiser, a few minutes into it you will feel duped and yell at your screen, “Hey! This is a crummy clips episode!” And that is (almost) exactly what it is––except we all worked really hard to make sure at the very least it isn’t crummy. I’m here to explain why we ended up having to do one. Sometime around a year and a half ago we were similarly duped on a large scale. We got the news from the higher-ups that our Book 4 budget was getting slashed, almost to the tune of an entire episode’s budget. We had two options: 1) let go a significant number of crew members several weeks early, or 2) make a clips episode. We never considered the first option. We weren’t going to do that to our crew, and even if we were callous enough to do so, we never would have been able to finish the season without them. But having grown up on TV in the ’80s and ’90s, we all dread clips episodes, where characters sit around saying, “Remember that time when…” and leftover footage is reheated for no one’s enjoyment. Anyone who suffered through TNG’s “Shades of Gray” knows what I’m talking about.

Anime fans know this is a common occurrence in Japanese series as well. In fact, as Mike hung his head in disappointment at our fate, I remembered how one of my favorite anime series, Samurai Champloo, made what I thought was a really awesome and clever clips episode. They mixed about 5 minutes of new footage in with the old, and set up a context where the characters would be reflecting on past events while narrating over them, offering new insights or at least providing some humor. I pitched this angle to Mike and he agreed this was the best way to turn this big old lemon into some lemonade.

Back on Avatar, we had something that functioned as a sort of clips episode, though it was all new animation and really hard to make, Episode 317, “The Ember Island Players.” Our heroes went to a play where they saw themselves and their tales performed by actors on stage. It was simultaneously a reckoning for the characters before they headed into the denouement, and a lighthearted romp where we got to poke fun at our own show before things got really serious in the remaining episodes. Korra’s “Remembrances” ended up serving the same function, albeit with old footage instead of a newly animated play. There is about 5 minutes of new footage, wonderfully animated by Studio Mir, and a bunch of funny and touching narration from the characters. There are also some fun chibi heads and other treats in there to spice up the old footage.

What started out as a reluctant chore ended up being a really fun episode to make, and in the end I truly love it. Mike did an awesome job directing it and storyboarding all the chibi hilarity, as well as overseeing the wonderful script by Josh Hamilton, Katie Mattila, and Tim Hedrick. Joaquim Dos Santos, Ryu Ki Hyun, and Lauren Montgomery drew fantastic storyboards for the new footage (particularly Lauren’s insane Varrick posing). Lots of other folks worked their tails off on this one, namely Amaris Calvin, our animatics editor; Christie Tseng, our character designer who drew and colored all of the final chibi art; Matt Gadbois, our After Effects artist; and Chris Hink, our final picture editor. Last but not least, Aran Tanchum and Vinny Guisetti on foley, Benjamin Wynn on sound design, and a stellar new score with all your favorite hits by Jeremy Zuckerman. And plenty of other fine folks I’m forgetting!

So now you know what it is and why it happened. I hope you do end up enjoying it after all, especially as a last lighthearted, nostalgic romp before POOP. GETS. REAL. And then the series is done.

Love, Bryan"

TL:dr Flashback episode was forced by nick cutting funding to the show.

20. Sofos

Sofos СофоƆ Contributor

^"POOP. GETS. REAL."

Who is he, Devin Townsend? :rofl:

I'm officially adopting that as part of my vocabulary.