Automotive Section

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by tommychains, Jan 25, 2014.

Would you like to see an automotive section/sub-forum?

Poll closed Feb 27, 2014.
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommychains

tommychains That Guy

I know there's a lot of car guys on here (including myself) and currently there's only one thread in the off topic section of SS. It's huge and so crowded together, it becomes quite difficult to follow. So, here goes my question;

May we please have an Automotive sub-forum/section? I feel it would open up another set of dialogue along with helping out some of the guys with their car questions. That and it's a pretty popular topic.

dedsouth333 likes this.
  2. dedsouth333

dedsouth333 That one dude...

Yeah, I used to be subscribed to "the car thread" and gave up on it after a while. This is just me, but I only really care about muscle cars and sometimes trucks. Imports and family wagons/grocery getters aren't of much interest unless we're trying to help someone diagnos a problem they're having.

I definitely think it'd be nice to have it a bit more spread out into smaller groups that would hold interest better (i.e. The tuner thread, the muscle car thread, the truck thread, the granny car thread :lol:, etc.)and be easier to navigate.

3. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

I don't think the granny car or the passenger car thread would get any action, maybe the muscle car or the tricked-out foreign sport.

4. Zenki_Kouki

Zenki_Kouki that one dude

Cool idea. I always enjoy talking to people about cars.

5. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

It would, because lots of people own them.

6. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Considering how few posts the dedicated "car thread" has for how long it's been around, not sure I personally see the need for an entire subsection on the forum. :shrug:

7. dedsouth333

Yeah, I would think it'd be more for diagnosing car troubles than anything. Except that family oriented people would likely discus passenger cars on an ownership level and then pop into the muscle cars or tuner cars threads for daydreaming, wishing and talking about projects or toys.

Yeah, but if you combine the "car thread" and the "motorcycle thread" I'd say there's a pretty decent amount of gearheads here.

I just think it's be nice to have the "Harley thread" or "Muscle car thread" instead of sifting through hundreds of pages of crotch rockets and tuners or digging through ten pages of Off topic threads to find the "car thread" and "motorcycle thread".

8. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I don't think giving automotive its own forum is necessary. However, I think it would make a fitting subforum for the Lifestyle, Health, Fitness and Food forum.

9. dedsouth333

That's what I was thinking. Just a sub-forum of Off
    Topic would be cool. Just a quick little click for gearheads to go and show off and discus motor vehicles just like we do our guitars. It wouldn't have to be big and in your face; just tucked away neatly within Off Topic for those who seek it out :D

10. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Create the thread in Off Topic, post in said thread. After that all you need to do is click the Search at the top -> Advanced Search -> Search by User Name (put your own name in) -> Search in Forums (put in Off Topic) and boom, it's right there for you. It's really not that hard short of being lazy, like I said I've seen the other TWO threads for those topics and other than that, automotive discussion never really took off over here. For a while there were requests for sub-forums and sub-sections of sub-forums in everything to the point where it got a little ridiculous. Personally, I'm thinking since it's a guitar forum, and there are a ton of sub-forums/sub-sections already including an OT section, it's really not that much trouble to search by your own name in OT if you feel you have to sort through pages to find the thread.

Honestly the fact that you even mentioned that should probably answer your own question though… if you have to sort through PAGES of OT to get to the two automotive threads we already have, clearly it's not exactly a hot topic around here and probably not really in need of a dedicated sub-forum. ;) :rofl:

Not sure I'd agree with that either, that doesn't really jive with the purpose of that section of the forum:

That section is really meant for the exercise and diet crowd. ;)

11. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Fair enough. I was looking more at the "Lifestyle" part of the title, but it appears that "Lifestyle" really doesn't have much to do with it beyond its implications tied to the health and fitness bits.

12. dedsouth333

I figure it's a dead issue either way you look at it. Others and I think it'd be cool, HighGain and a couple of others disagree and the other 99.9% of SSO obviously couldn't care less either way.

13. Joose

Joose Custom User Title

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. Shame this forum is at the bottom and no one checks it.

Think about it... Threads for different brands (cars and motorcycles alike), boats, RV's, off-roaders, toys, project cars, different motorsports, events (SEMA, Detroit, New York, Geneva, etc); shows like Top Gear, Fifth Gear, Overhaulin', The Smoking Tire, Jay Leno's Garage, Chris Harris On Cars, Big Muscle, Head 2 Head, Fast Lane Daily, etc.

That shit would be at 2 pages within a couple days, guaranteed.

I mean, even if there are only 10-15 of us who would post in it daily... car guys can talk, debate and swap stories ALL DAY. It would be nice for shit to not be so damn jumbled up in one thread.

14. Sephael

Sephael Divine Paradøx Contributor

Why not just join a car forum to fulfill your need/desire? That seems like it would make more sense than going to a guitar based forum to talk about cars all day.

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Sub-forums don't get overlooked because they're towards the bottom of the page, they get overlooked because no one really cares about the content, at least not as much.

The Off-Topic section is near the bottom, but has more posts than Standard and Extended Range combined...on a guitar site. In contrast, Beginners/FAQs is at the very top of the forum list, but has a meager 57k posts.

The stuff that the community has deemed less interesting/fun gets the least attention and it shows.

This sub-forum doesn't get much attention because 99% of users could care less about submitting real feedback and suggestions, outside of "Why can't I post in the classifieds?!".

I know folks love "one stop shopping", but the further you move away from music, gear, and guitars the more you should probably be looking into other communities. I don't come on here to discuss brewing or home improvement, my other two primary hobbies, there are better places for that online.

16. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

+1 to all of this, said more eloquently than I managed to myself in my prior post, Max. There are vast amounts of dedicated car communities, I'm a member of several myself, so that's where I go when I want to talk cars. Trying to further convert a guitar forum into something else just seems to go against the purpose of the community. I haven't gone to NASIOC or the ST Forums and told them we needed a guitar section because I was sure there are a ton of musicians who drive cars, same logic kinda applies here. :) No one is stopping you from using the OT thread that's already there right?

17. Swyse

Swyse Swyse

If we have special forum areas for politics, media, computers, health, art and sports adding a car/automotive one doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.