Austria - Presidental Elections 2016

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by jacksonguitar1111, May 21, 2016.

1. jacksonguitar1111

jacksonguitar1111 SS.org Regular

Hi people!

As mentioned in the title this topic is about the presidental elections here in Austria which are held tomorrow, 22. May.

It is a second round, where none of the two governing parties are in. So people want a change, which is in general not a bad thing.

We have two options tomorrow:

- Norbert Hofer (Freedom Party of Austria)
    - Alexander van der Bellen (The Green Alternative)

A lot of people (including me) are concerned that we could get a president who is very authoritarian and command (like Hungary, Turkey).

If you are curious read something about the freedom party of austria:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Party_of_Austria

A lot of people living in Austria are very concerned about the refugee crisis and a lot of immigrants coming to Europe.

- What are your opinions on those two candidates?
    - How are we (Austrians) viewed within the EU?

Looking forward to have a interesting discussion with you guys!

2. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Just read this. Everyone I know was like "have they completly taken leave of their senses?" I have no idea about austrian politics in general, to be honest, only thing I really know is my parents being rather irritated and a bit concerned about Haiders popularity back in the 90s(Carinthia was where we used to spent what felt like most of the summer). How much power does your president actually have?

From what I read, the country is deeply divided, as the two sides are not pretty much the same thing with different names (as it would be with Merkel vs Gabriel in Germany, as I said, I have no idea who is who in austrian politics) but more or less the opposite of each other and that van der Bellen got his votes primarily in the bigger cities. I haven't really been to Austria for (too many) years, so how much truth is there to that?

A pleasant suprise (to me and those I know) that Hofer didn't win. And another pleasant suprise that both governing parties were out. So maybe there is a hint of hope that this could happen in Germany as well. Though that would probably end up with an AfD (anti-european/immigrant/islam/anything after 1960)-president backed by CSU (as right wing as you can go without being openly nationalist/part of CDU, governing party right now) :D

3. jacksonguitar1111

jacksonguitar1111 SS.org Regular

defenitely... the country is kinda divided. Mostly because of the refugee crisis and propaganda from the far right parties.

I am happy that Hofer didn't win, because he would maybe misuse his power. He also said that he would fire the chancellor and many other people if he is not satisfied. This is a power our president has an much more. But our previous presidents were very gently and never made such drastic changes that Hofer wanted to do. He also said that in an interview. :wallbash:

I mean we are already viewed as Neonazis from all the boulevard newspapers in the EU, so it is good that he didn't win.

4. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

Hitler was born in Austria! Hopefully that don't repeat in Austrian politics.

[​IMG]

5. schantist

schantist Banned

Don't worry, none of the two candidates has Hitler's superb rhetoric and political qualities.

What's funny though is that elections will be reheld in October since there have been irregularities during the ballot counts. Maybe the right-wing takes the cake thus time.