Australia PM Tony Abbott ousted by Malcolm Turnbull

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Sep 14, 2015.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Australia PM Tony Abbott ousted by Malcolm Turnbull - BBC News

Leuchty likes this.
  2. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

From what I have been reading about Abbot these two years, it's a surprise he wasn't "ousted" earlier.
    Nice thing I see in Australia is that there is some shifting in PM's if they're deemed inadequate without having to disband parliament and redo elections. I don't know how much is changing though from PM to PM or is it just one subpar person after the other.

3. asher

asher So Did We

Thank fvcking god.

Now Canada needs to toss Harper out on his ass, and my political asylum countries will be back on track if another election gets stolen here :rofl:

4. Dooky

Dooky SS.org Regular

Tony Abbott was by far the worst Prime Minister we have ever had. I was amazed people voted for him in the first place. Whether things change much with Malcolm is yet to be seen. But Malcolm is far less embarrassing than Abbott - man that guy was a massive toolbag.

5. estabon37

estabon37 Melodica Attack!

Well, nobody really voted for him. The swing against Labor was 4.61%; the swing towards Liberal was 1.93%. That was against an incredibly unpopular government (insulation scheme, party infighting, corruption in the state parties); possibly more unpopular than Howard's ousted government (WorkChoices), which saw a 5.44% swing against it and a 5.44% swing towards Labor. Those are damning numbers, particularly in a country that features compulsory voting. Every vote that a major party loses should in theory be a vote in favour of the other major party. I grew up in a Liberal Party stronghold that for the first time in thirty years failed to elect a Liberal Party member, though it also tellingly didn't vote for Labor - they voted independent instead.

The Liberal Party put Tony Abbott in charge out of necessity. Politics in Australia is currently a popularity game, and nobody in the Liberal Party was popular. Instead, they 'intelligently' chose a leader that was an expert in insults and vitriol; someone who could make the Labor Party look so bad that the Liberal Party didn't have to look good. It worked at the time, and the Labor Party totally dismantled its leadership. This means a change of tactics, and Tony Abbott is not capable of changing tactics. He promised he'd try in February, and he failed.

If Turnbull keeps his word, our government will start actually talking about policy, and the future of the country. If we're lucky, the Labor Party will start doing the same, because all they've had to do for the last two years is sit back and wait for the Liberal Party to implode.

I think we need two fundamental changes to federal politics in this country. 1) Stop pretending we vote for a Prime Minister; in 115 years, we've never elected a leader, and for the first 70 of those years we didn't pretend that it was a priority. Policy was more important than personality. 2) Longer terms between elections. Three years is too short a term. For the first year, any given government claims to be too busy 'cleaning up the mess' of the previous government to get much done. In the third year, they're campaigning for an election by making promises about what decisions they'll make if you let them stay. That means we only get twelve months of an actual attempt at governing, which is pathetic.

Sorry if all of that was too 'foreign' for most of y'all. To make up for it, here's a picture of a very happy looking koala:

[​IMG]

Look at that happy motherfucker! What a champ! Hopefully, he runs in my electorate next year, because I would vote for that dude in a heartbeat.

6. asher

asher So Did We

Given what assholes those guys are, that says a lot :lol:

7. ArticulateMadness

ArticulateMadness Madness Articulator.

And what ever happened to your tart that owned the mines? The one that wanted the Aussies to make 2 bucks a day like the exploited Africans? Where is that old bag hiding at?