Auction section in Classifieds?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Stealthdjentstic, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I've always wondered, why no auctioning? Could we have an auctioning section in the classifieds? It kind of sucks when like 5 people PM you ready to buy and you could have lost less money than you did selling something.

2. brutalwizard

brutalwizard Pretty Your Petunia

I have lost on some money by agreeing to selling to one dude and getting a pm by another saying they will pay more.

I gladly take that loss with the convenience that is our highly moderated for sales section, 99% awesome dudes with good sale/trade etiquette, and the fact my stuff always moved relatively quickly.

And imagine a thread filled with 100's $1.00 bids or some dudes "wins" the bidding and the owner decides its not enough.

3. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

It would still be regulated the same way. Like OP would say no offers below X, throw up a BIN, etc...

4. brutalwizard

brutalwizard Pretty Your Petunia

I dont like the idea bidding if they know the least amount of money One would take for an item. Trying to make it a bidding war just to to raise the price by using other people to make it seem less available, when they would have just sold it for a lesser price in the first place would annoy me.

I do not like the idea of auctions on SSO honestly mehtab. This isnt ebay.

5. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I hear a yes.

6. espman

espman Is beardless....

I agree with brutalwizard, if you want to auction something put it on ebay.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Because this isn't eBay.

This place isn't supposed to be a venue to shill gear.

Though, you do realize the setup you're referring to is the same as posting a high price with a "best offer" mention right?

8. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Yeah basically this. :lol: If you are afraid you're "losing out on money", try listing it higher on eBay and watch how quickly eBay and Paypal fees eat that "extra" money up on you. ;) Put in the effort to do your research, find out what the item is selling for typically (going to be tougher with custom stuff, but that's how it goes) and price your item accordingly. You'll do much better setting a price and allowing the "best offer" rule, because if you priced it accordingly you'll get what you're asking. Sometimes you're just SOL and no one on certain forums will be interested. When you get to that point, take it to eBay. :shrug:

Also that being said, sometimes you're better off knocking $1-200 off your asking price if the guitar is an expensive one. If it's under $1K, sell it on eBay if you can't find a buyer here. The new policy on eBay is that anything over $1,111.11 in value gets an AUTOMATIC $250 final value fee. :squint: In cases where you have an expensive guitar, knock up to $200 off what you think you could get for the guitar and try that on here before taking it elsewhere. As I said above, sometimes you run into cases where you just can't sell an item here on the forum unfortunately and you have to suck it up and take the hit on eBay to get it sold. :(

9. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Yeah Matt I just fucking hate Ebay is all and everyone on craigslist is always broke. This place seems to be the only place to find good buyers/sellers that are legit. Like..whenever I list something on CL this one weird guy keeps trying to trade me his deans for my guitars/gear :lol:

Even my recto and Loomis were sold to a local guy from SSO after months of listing them on CL.