Attempted Military Coup in Turkey?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Blytheryn, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

2. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

If you are flying fighter jets over the palace, and have tanks in the streets, there's nothing "attempted" about it....

Can anyone speak to the actual reasons for these events? I don't believe Americans have the proper optics on the situation. Who is upset with what, leading to revolution?

3. stevexc

stevexc Laura Like Butter

4. Blytheryn

I guess we just have to wait it out... If we're (us Americans) are allied to Turkey, and stuff goes belly up, then what happens?

EDIT: The army has taken over state TV, this is full scale...

5. CapnForsaggio

CapnForsaggio Cap'n (general)

Our peace prize winning president would send 2500 poor americans to fight in the sand.... again. That's what would happen.

6. Blytheryn

Sounds lovely.:ugh:

7. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

First off, I hope any members of this board who are in Turkey are safe and I hope that whatever happens happens with minimal bloodshed.

Well, hypothetically the military could mobilize and overtake the presidential palace, declare martial law and begin executing officials but until power leaves the hands of the sitting government the coup can't be described as successful, so "attempted" is 100% applicable at the moment since the dust hasn't settled. When power is clearly in the hands of one group or the other then we can describe it as a successful or failed coup.

I'm not Turkish, so skip the remainder if you want.

The military factions who staged the coup attempt claimed the aim of the coup was to restore Democracy and Human rights to Turkey. “To restore the constitutional order, human rights and freedoms, the rule of law, and public order, the Turkish armed forces have taken complete control of the country.”
    The military of Turkey has tended to step in when civilian governments in the country begin to turn away from the secular and democratic vision of the country's founder, Kemal Atatürk. Since President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan doesn't seem to be moving the country in a direction in line with that vision it's no real surprise that a coup happened. Turkey has had three coups in my lifetime, including this one, and 5 in the last 50 years.

You could probably write a book on this but here's a brief, not at all in depth overview.

Under Erdoğan the government of Turkey has headed down a progressively more authoritarian and anti-democratic path with increasing restrictions on freedom of speech, freedom of the press and freedom of expression within the country while also putting Islamist policies into action. As of 2013 the media in the country was ranked something like 149th out of 180 in terms of freedom. In summer 2013 protests erupted across Turkey and lasted about 4 months, in part spurred by Erdoğan's authoritarianism, violations of democratic rights in Turkey and widespread censorship of the media. The protests were ended by force. As of 2016 Turkey has faced a number of terrorist attacks by both the PKK (Kurdistan Workers Party) and ISIS, the latter of whom appear to be able to easily filter back and forth across the border between Turkey and Syria. Meanwhile Erdoğan has tried to use these attacks as opportunities to centralize more power under himself and has also attempted to use the Immigrant crisis in Syria as leverage to make demands of the European Union. (As I remember it, in very, very general terms: Let Turks move freely through the EU like citizens of EU member countries can or immigrants/refugees from Syria and other countries will be allowed to filter through Turkey and into EU countries unimpeded).

TL;DR
    Some factions of the Turkish military might feel that Turkey seems to have something of a budding Islamist dictator at the helm and they want to move back towards the founder's vision. Unfortunately for them, Erdoğan may have vastly more public support than they thought.

8. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Along with what Necris said, Erdogan also had political enemies put in prison, and use the media to manipulate the population, so that he wins 'demotratic elections' with like 99% of votes (a good sign of when a country is not democratic at all). Furthermore he also uses the military to fight the kurdist minority (i don.t think it is a full on genocide, but its down the part). I also think he has been in office far longer than the law allows, but think he just had the law changed so that he could be president forever.

So yeah Turkie is ruled by a dictator and a smaller faction of the military tried to coup him but it seemed they failed, so i guess now they face death sencentes.

9. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

In some sort of way I hope they succeed and Erdogan gets replaces by someone more progressive and less of a dictator. Everything that went down with the German artist of that satirical comic and Dutch-Turkish columnist Ebru Amar, I can only hope for their sake that the situation changes for the better.

10. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

And he is constantly pissed off, as far as I know there were over 2000 lawsuits in the last few years against people who supposedly insulted the president, not including foreign people like German comedian Jan Böhmermann.

I don't want to go as far as saying that this was staged, but I wouldn't be suprised if the current government knew of the plans and did nothing to stop it in advance. If you were trying to become an authoriatrian leader, one of the best things that could possibly happen to you is an attempted/failed coup. We are seeing a familiar pattern now, with thousands of judges laid off, members of the army and other institutions imprisoned... I wouldn't be suprised if the aftermath of this would be that there is not a single judge or army leader or high ranking police officer (etc.) who would speak against Erdogan left in office.

11. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Yeah i partially agree with this maybe beibg staged, today he has changed thousands of judges in the system as well as replacing military leaders picked by him. He also blames political enemies for the coup attempt and wants them turned over to turkie from their political refuge in other countries. European leaders are shockingl showing him support because of the refugee and syrian problems, so clearly he has eu by the balls.

So yeah, Erdogan has gained a lot of power today.

12. Spencervmurph

Spencervmurph SS.org Regular

About damn time!

13. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

About damn time indeed. Wait... what? :squint:

14. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
  15. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Erdogan is a madman.