Atomic Amplifire Discussion

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Leberbs, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

I cannot for the life of me get anything to sound good out of this pedal. Michael Britt has some of the best presets for it, but even with his custom IRs and tone tweaking, it just doesn't sound 100%. My main tones I go for are of the high gain variety (Tool, Northlane) and P/W music.

Has anyone else had any luck finding or creating decent presets? Where was your next step if you've moved on from it?

Looking to get a Helix if I can't get it to jive with me soon.

Post some pics of your atomic pedalboards. Maybe I'm using this wrong and should have more pedals/gear to supplement what is shines at.

2. Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson Onedge Custom

Sadly I couldn’t get it to gel either. I wanted it to because of the form factor but I just could not get a sound I was comfortable with.

Sold it, purchased a Helix and haven’t looked back

3. makecamera

makecamera SS.org Regular

I also moved on. I struggled to get ideal 8 string tones, but to he honest, I still suck at dialing in tones on any system (modeller, plugin, etc.) - but I get better every day. I moved on to the Axe-Fx XL where there is simply more information, user support, and tweakability. It still took a while, but I have some great tones now thanks to e.g. Sonic Drive Studios, Leon Todd, and Ownhammer.

4. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I have Pre EQ before the amp to cut below 100hz (the one you can only set before boost and amp). This really tightens up the low end. I use downtuned 6-string with 26,5" scale, so this might be set to higher with 8-string.

In amp block one of most crucial values may be damping and master volume. Damping set to higher value compresses tone more and set to lower it has less power tube compression. Usually I have this set around 40-60% with hi-gain amps.

Cab block in this unit is also very simple but quite good for shaping tone you want. I've got highs rolled out around 9kHz, but depending on cab IR it can be anything from 7.5 to 10kHz, peak Q about 0.7 to 0.9 and others to taste. I've tried Ownhammer, Redwirez and Valhallir impulse responses with this and all of them work well in Atomic Amplifire, unit itself needs them to be in 48kHz/24bit format.

Choptones presets sound pretty good, but I've not tried them yet.
    https://www.choptones.com/atomic-amplifire-patches

Also I found this big archive of presets from Amplifire facebook group.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/atomicamplifire/files/

And these weren't bad at all when tweaked a little bit.
    http://atomicamps.com/forum/index.php?threads/amplifire-high-gain-shootout.187/page-2

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  5. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

I tried the Amplifirebox and couldn't get along with it, Rob Balducci gets some great tones out it, but it eluded me so I sent it back. Maybe I didn't spend enough time with it but it seemed like too much work, and I'm just not into tweaking that much.

I can dial tones in on my GT-1000 pretty easily, so maybe it's not all me.

6. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Ugh... I bought those Choptones presets and they sound like muffled garbage with my setup. Maybe I should e-mail to them because in their youtube channel the presets sound quite good. Just in case if I'm doing something wrong.

Or it's their impulse responses ruining the presets. Amplifire really shines with Ownhammer impulses, just like many other modelers.

Did you use stock cabs or 3rd party IR's?

7. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

Stock cabs. I'm old and analog... If I have to go out and buy more "software" to make the $300 piece of hardware I just bought sound decent, it isn't for me.

And yes, I'm using a GT-1000 now, the AIRD models work really well for me, someday I may try some 3rd party IRs, but I don't "have" to. Honestly, I'd still rather run an amp and pedals, but it's not even practical for me now days.

8. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

Yea, I tried one of their metal packs too......