Ash Vs the Evil Dead (STARZ series)

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by wankerness, Jul 11, 2015.

1. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Every single time I watch a new episode, I'm like "that was way too short". This is one show I feel could benefit from a 40 or 45 minute run time. I don't say that lightly, even with shows I enjoy like Walking Dead or Game of Thrones, I find myself clockwatching towards the end. This show flies by like nothing.

I know some people are down on the side-story with Jill Marie Jones, but I like her, I feel like she provides a more serious role to Ash's slapstick that could add more depth and be a better vehicle to draw in the horror element. My only complaint is that they could flesh out her story a bit, or Lucy's, just to make the side-story more compelling (though that may be moot by now).

Also, with plans for a second season, maybe the positive reviews will result in a bigger budget, and perhaps more practical effects. I agree with many here that the CGI gets a tad hokey, but I'm sure they can only do what they can afford to, and though I don't know .... about making shows, I imagine CGI is the cheaper route. I did like the "biggest fan" scene, that actually surprised me a bit.

All in all, this is my favourite show on TV right now, I feel like if it was an hour, I would still be drawn in the whole time.

2. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

I haven't been able to watch religiously, but the few episodes I have seen were campy and corny. The way it should be. Love what I've seen so far.

3. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

No kidding! Ever time the episode ends I look at the time and go, "Huh...wow." Just flies by.

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I'm really glad the episodes are as short as they are. It keeps you wanting more, unlike many shows that are an hour long and almost every episode makes you think "did we REALLY need 10 minutes of Karl eating pudding [or X boring scene]?!" It's a fluffy show, and currently it's working just fine. I'm not sure if they actually have a season arc, so far it's pretty much just a bunch of "monster of the week" style episodes with a loose plot progression in between, which is fine and dandy with me, but I wonder if that's going to go on indefinitely.

One of the best things about the show is that the main supporting characters are actually entertaining and likable. I figured it would just be the Ash show, but I really like his two buddies.

5. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Yep, I said the same thing a few posts up. And now the wife and I are feeling the shortness of the show just fly by, just too short, it needs to be longer. It's not even a full 30 minutes. I think with the intro previous episode flash, credits, and next episode peek I think we timed it recently at something like 25 minutes.

Rev.

6. zappatton2

I admit, you're probably right. If I had any self-restraint at all, I'd wait until the season was over and watch the whole thing in one go.

Evil Dead 2 was (is) one of my all time favourite movies back in the day, just so happy we're finally getting a follow-up in all its ridiculous glory!

7. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

just wanted to leave this here, seemed appropriate.

8. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

That episode was intense. Got darker than the rest of the series has been.

Also:
    SOFT BALLS!

9. zappatton2

That was certainly darker!

I'm pretty devastated about the cop, but I guess I'm compromised by an unhealthy crush on Jill Marie Jones. Should'a seen it coming. Now I don't care about any of the sidekicks :(

But I am pretty glad to see the cabin again, they did a great job recreating it, loved the reference to the original Evil Dead with the swing seat banging against the side of the house

10. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Just got caught up on these last night, truly epic.

11. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

So much darker. The whole trying to rape her thing was truly well done. In the sense that it felt really horrible.

I didn't see it coming either. I was completely shocked when that cleaver hit home.

All the references throughout the season have been pretty spot ....ing on so far.

12. wankerness

That was interesting in that it drew out some of the actual horror that was in Evil Dead 2 and tends to get glossed over in any discussion of the flick. The stuff with his girlfriend's head in the vice and whatnot was incredibly dark, it was just surrounded by so much slapstick that a lot of people never noticed, myself included!

13. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

Evil dead 2 is by far my favourite simply because it is actually a horror movie. Just a wonderful melding of horror and comedy. I tend to get pretty bored with Army of Darkness actually.

14. wankerness

I prefer the first movie to the second two for the same reason. Also cause it maintains its pace for the entire thing, as opposed to 2 which goes steeply downhill as soon as the group arrives at the house.

15. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

So I thought the season was awesome! Got a little meh midway then got awesome again when they went back to the cabin. Only thing I'd like to say is

I really wish they didn't make it that Lucy Lawless wrote the damn book. I mean, I feel that kinda spoils it a bit. Didn't she say in the beginning that she was the sister of the archaeologist that died in the cabin going to visit their father (old man who made the audio recording reading from the book)? I thought that would've been a better story line. Now we have Lucy Lawless as some sexy multi-thousand year old demon commander or something. I dunno, still loving the show, just felt that wasn't a great direction to take her character. After she fell into the fire and survived though it was obvious she was superhuman, subhuman, not human, whatever. lol

Rev.

16. fps

fps Kit

Totally awesome, loved the very ending too!

17. DanicaL

DanicaL SS.org Regular

Its an awesome show!

Groovie Baby.