As I Lay Dying are back with the classic lineup

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by BusinessMan, Jun 8, 2018.

1. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

Tried to make a thread about this last night but unsure of what happened to it as I don't see it. They're back and seemed to have buried the hatchet with Tim. I enjoy the song and the solo is pretty great too.

Your thoughts?

couverdure and Dawn of the Shred like this.
  2. rifftrauma

rifftrauma Trapped in time...

Avedas, Hollowway, bostjan and 4 others like this.
  3. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Witchcraft and Occult Riffs

Everyone in 2018: Metalcore is dead
    As I Lay Dying: Hold my beer!!!

Laimon, BenjaminW and Manurack like this.
  4. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

More like....
    Everyone in 2018: We must boycott this band for perceived minor social infractions or unsubstantiated rumors of possible abuse.

Also Everyone in 2018: I mean, yeah, he tried to have his WIFE MURDERED, but c'mon, its AILD, amirite?

I haven't heard anything I needed in my collection since 94 hours, and the band he did right before the BS was waaaaaay better/more interesting, but either way I'm not supplying them with any stream counts or album purchases.

aesthyrian and Hollowway like this.
  5. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

First and foremost I should say that I a am not and nor was I ever a AILD fan.

So I guess this my sound a bit screwed up to some people, but honestly, I could care less that they are making music again. Obviously it was screwed up about what happened between Tim and his wife at the time, but I guess I'm in the minority that music is music. Personal life should not play a role in making music. Is he a scumbag for doing such an awful thing? Absolutely, but it's up to the fans to choose if they want that to effect the band as a whole.

I guess my point is, art is art. The point being made by MetalSucks that if Cosby started touring again, it would be fucked up. Honestly.... I wouldn't care if Cosby toured again. Obviously he won't, but my point is I still enjoy Cosby's previous work for what it is. It's shitty about what he has done, but it doesn't effect my still enjoying the Cosby show as it's just a form of media.

Personally I find metalcore to be repulsive anyways, but hey I bet there is still a big fan base for it in 2018.

Manurack likes this.
  6. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

top comment is absolutely brilliant. "I can't wait for the next Varg Vikernes story!" I have not seen a site get destroyed so badly by their own comment section before. good god the people who write for MS are an utter disgrace to their profession and the metal genre.

separate art and artist. new AILD tune is a banger. Tim's a douche but he served his time. oh well

7. Albake21

Don't get me wrong, the dude is an absolute piece of shit. They will definitely not get my support (not that I would anyways). But my point is, I have no problem with people wanting to still support them. It's up to the fans. @sakeido said it pretty well.

8. wat

wat SS.org Regular

Man I would imagine you would have to REALLY want to do the band again if you're willing to work with someone you know is such a crazy bastard.

9. Albake21

Yeah now THAT definitely surprises me the most. I don't get how anyone could still work with the dude after what happened.

Hollowway likes this.
  10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Nah.

Metalsucks can be a bunch of uptight assholes, but I agree with them here. Dude tried to ruin his family and get someone killed. Fuck him.

Seriously, Wovenwar and their side projects must have been a huge bust.

Veldar and Flemmigan like this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

$$$

Veldar, aesthyrian, Hollowway and 3 others like this.
  12. Flemmigan

Flemmigan Snoofin' your gear

All things are possible through Christ and reunion tour guarantees.

13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Not touching them. I don’t delegate artist from art. Fuck him.

Sucks for the these guys but they’re likely using it as a cash in after he fucked thier careers, so I get it but no.

Avedas, feraledge, aesthyrian and 4 others like this.
  14. BusinessMan

I totally agree with you on that.

I also agree with this. Pyrithion was some heavy shit.

15. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

It sounds like typical AILD but Wovenwar was not that far away from that sound. I'm not sure if Tim wrote most of the songs or was one of the main song writers.

Concerning the whole Tim being released and just jumping back to his old life like more or less nothing happened, it's somewhat strange. I mean what he did would be a career killer for most and I don't feel he is that talented or that AILD are/were that good to warrant this kind of response. I mean yes their songs are catchy, melodic, well written and performed but they mostly sounded the same. In any case good for him, in a sense, that the fact that he went to jail didn't throw him in the gutter as it has done for most ex-cons, even though his circumstances are much different than most convicts.

And fans are just that. Some people will justify whatever heinous crimes their favorite star will do. I'm more surprised with the rest of the members for going back after the stance they took separating themselves from Tim and really hammering on him with their statements. To me it seems that when Tim was arrested the other members saw how bad the situation was for him and they thought that the only way to save their careers was to distance themselves as quickly and as far as possible. They obviously didn't expect him coming out of jail and everyone else waiting to basically go down on him. Tim could easily have found replacement members and still be AILD. But getting the original members back they gave the world two things, the nostalgia factor and that he is forgiven. Because if the people that were his friends and bandmates, that rejected him, take him back it makes the comeback even more heartwarming and his remorse seem more sincere. And the rest get to have that taste of success they didn't manage to achieve with Wovenwar and make a living again.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  16. BusinessMan

I can see your point and why you would feel that way, but if I like the music it won't matter to me. I never said I would buy the music, but at the same time the other guys in the band need financial support from old fans regardless of what Tim did. They need jobs and I believe they shouldn't suffer from what Lambesis has done.

17. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I can separate the art from the person, but in this case I don't really care. This is just modern high production metalcore, I haven't honestly listened or played anything in the metalcore in years short of the occasional Rose of Sharyn chorus when I jam with my roommate on his drumkit.

There's two sides of the fence and there's nothing wrong with it, people who can look past it and enjoy the music are free to do so and people who can't get over Tim's case won't support him. I'd wager if the background of every musician we like was completely exposed there wouldn't be much music for people to listen to, at least those who don't support musicians who have any negative history.

KailM likes this.
  18. Albake21

My thoughts exactly.

19. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

And they all had jobs. Maybe not as financially lucrative as going on the reunion tour, but it just kinda seems like a pussified money grab from those guys considering how things went down after his "screw up".

Hollowway and HeHasTheJazzHands like this.
  20. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Cool then lambesis take a massive pay cut and get a lower % than the band.

Attempted murder via hitman.

No go for me dawg.

I’m not judging others for their decisions just voting with my dollar. And that guy isn’t seeing a cent. And I was a huge fan of that damn band. Anyone that sees my regular posts on here knows I love metalcore.

Other guys can write drop C riffs too. And they get my cash for you know, not trying to commit murder or whatever.