Artificial Brain tab books

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Eptaceros, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer Contributor

Hey everyone,

We plan on releasing tab books for both albums, and they are almost complete. I'm now editing/proofreading them to make sure they are 100% accurate with zero mistakes. The majority of tab books out there are absolute garbage and I'd like to put something out there that is 100% true to the music and is easy to digest for guitarists of all levels. I don't know how many people here listen to the band but the reason I'm posting here is to get your opinions on tab books in general.

How do you like your tabs to be displayed?
    - staff + tab or just tab?
    - full song written out or every section is tabbed and then referenced? Eg. Song structure is ABCABCD. After section C, would you prefer the following ABC section to be fully written out again? Is it considered "cheap" to just write in text "Repeat sections A, B, and C and then move on to D"
    - I figure spiral bound is the only way to go
    - Tremolo picked riffs written out with proper note subdivisions (usually 16ths or triplet 16ths) or single notes written out with a tremolo marking

Can't think of any other specifications at the moment, but I'll update this post as things come up. I'm really torn between referencing repeat sections and writing everything out as it's played. We have a lot of trem picked riffs and fastly strummed chords all over the place. If everything is written out as played, each tab book will be around 100 pages, which is excessive and more expensive.

Would love any and all opinions! I'm also open to answering any general band-related questions if you have any. Thanks for you time.

justin_time, chopeth, Rosal76 and 4 others like this.
  2. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

Staff and Tab.

odibrom likes this.
  3. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

-staff + tab
    -writing just to repeat a section is fine but only if it's 100% the same and it's consistent across instruments
    -are you releasing a digital copy?
    -tremelo marking is fine

Are you guys going to explain each song (like chords symbols, modes, etc. like a jazz book) or is it just pure tab?

Tech Wrath likes this.
  4. Tech Wrath

Tech Wrath SS.org Regular

Exactly what the person above me said.
    -Staff + tab
    -Repeat section A etc is fine (It is a big pet-peeve when it says to repeat a section and the section isn't really the same. Please don't do this!)
    -Tremolo marking preferred. (If all the notes of a tremolo are written out, it takes up space and usually just becomes clunky)

Also quick question about writing. When you write, do you just have an ear for your style and write accordingly to what you think sounds good? Or, like how the person above me was asking if you will explain some theory in the tab, do you use theory? How do you go about writing?

Anyway, thanks for the awesome music and fantastic covers! Wish I could've been there to see you guys with Cattle Decap & Revocation in Chicago. Hopefully next time \m/

Eptaceros and SERP like this.
  5. SERP

SERP SS.org Regular

Holy shit this is my dream come true, Arti B is my biggest influence on guitar. The intro to the song Labyrinth Constellation is the shit man, can't wait to learn it. Also yeah like the last person said any notes on how you guys go about writing will be much appreciated.

Eptaceros likes this.
  6. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

I am 100% interested dude! I've got 3 AB covers down already. B-)

- Don't care about staff as I can't read music, but the notation for rhythm is important to me.
    - Tabbed and reference makes it easier for me to digest song structure, but YMMV. If there are variations in repeating section, then obviously might be easier going through tabbing everything linearly.
    - Single notes with tremolo marking.
    - Spiral bound is much preferred.
    - I usually enjoy reading notes on the song if possible to understand the influence / writing process / notes (like, 'here the drums are doing XYZ so the riff is structured like this for ABC reason). Maybe more effort than necessary, but makes the song writing more personal. Even things like gear used, the recording process etc.

If there's anything else, I'll let you know dude.

Eptaceros likes this.
  7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

This is great to hear. So many bands release rubbish tab books full of mistakes that aren't nearly as accurate as fan made tabs available on UG. Even SheetHappens release some very questionable tab books so its really worth buckling down and putting in the work to get it perfect.

Staff + Tab definitely

Tabbed and referenced as long as it is the same section again. I see a lot of tab books with a repeat sign for a section yet the second time there are less palm mutes or playing a single note rather than a chord.

This is vital in a tab book, especially if its a large one.

Eptaceros likes this.
  8. Eptaceros

Dan Gargiulo is the primary songwriter; I came on board right after Labyrinth was released. I had a hand in the writing process for Infrared--mostly tweaking riffs, adding harmonies/riffs here and there, some structural arrangements, etc. Usually, Dan will have almost fully fleshed-out demos recorded with programmed drums and, occasionally, bass parts as well. It's mind-boggling.

Most of us know a decent chunk of theory but it's never used as a songwriting tool. Certain chord voicings play a huge role--as you'll see in the tab books--but it's pretty much all ear. Dan has been writing constantly since high school (maybe before?) so he's developed a somewhat innate songwriting skill. I've never gotten a straight answer out of him, and he'll occasionally say things like "I have no idea how I wrote that [riff/song/etc]" A lot of it is really just hitting record, finding something that clicks, and making that grow.

I doubt that we'll include embellishments like chord symbols and modes because that would imply that it was part of the process.

Happy to see that people are cool with referenced sections and tremolo symbols. That would be saving so much space in these books.

iamaom and Mwoit like this.
  9. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Hi, Eptaceros. First off, thank you very much for putting in the time in making the guitar tablature books. I have two questions about them if you could answer.

1. Where will these books be available. Reason I'm asking is so I can look it up every day so I don't miss out. Obscura fans have told me that they have missed out on certain guitar tablature books because, 1. They weren't aware of them and 2. they weren't checking the merch store everyday like me. I just don't want to miss out on your books.

2. Any chance there will be a bundle that includes both the guitar tab books and matching C.D.s together? If not, that's fine. I can just buy the C.D.'s separately.

Thank you for any answers.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  10. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

I will 100% be buying these once they're released, not that I'll be able to play much of it at the moment but it'll be useful to see how these songs are written. Any chance of some GuitarPro files to go with it? Or maybe adding Butchering Cosmic Giants and Magnetic Gravity as a couple bonus tabs?

11. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I vote for everything said and also vouch for the digital version, especially for those overseas as me.

12. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

100% in for these, I would also enjoy a digital version. Guitar Pro 7 is a huge asset to learning difficult music like this, but if you do physical only I'll definitely prefer spiral bound.

13. Nick4764

Nick4764 SS.org Regular

Yes, I've been dying to learn Estranged from Orbit. Referencing sections and tremolo markings are ok, display the staff and tab and spiral bound is a must

14. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

Have you had a look at Defeated Sanity's Dharmata tab book?

They went over kill but that is a good example to follow.

https://defeatedsanity.bandcamp.com/album/dharmata-tab-book-and-playbacks

It contains:

- Guitar Pro 6 (.gpx) files of all songs (including all rhythm guitars, lead guitars, clean guitars and bass)
    - individual pdf files for each track of each song
    - instrumental audio playback tracks for each instrument (individually isolated for both rhythm guitars and bass play-along)
    - liner notes from Lille Gruber explaining the compositional features of each song

15. Eptaceros

Too early to tell regarding both of these questions. It's tempting to DIY these books, but we all have real jobs (I work 60+hrs a week) and realistically, we'll probably have to go with a merchant. I will for sure update this thread as we move forward. If we do decide to use a merch site, it'll be Cold Cuts, which is where all of our current merch is hosted.

We'll probaby do GP files, in GP5 format. I'm a bit reluctant to do digital, but it's what everyone else is doing nowadays...

By the way, I think you'll be surprised with how easy some of these songs are :)

Mwoit, damn those dudes are crushing it. I'll talk to Dan about compositional liner notes.

Rosal76, Mwoit and BIG ND SWEATY like this.
  16. Mwoit

Mwoit Lifted By Skin

You could do first press of physical books (that come with digital downloads) and a digital only online. If the books sell out, you could do a second press if they prove to be popular.