Arrest warrant issued for beating victim

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by bostjan, Oct 10, 2017.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-faces-felony-charge/?utm_term=.1da4dfff5153

It's unusual to have waited this long to file charges in a case where charges were filed against the plaintiff right away, but the statute of limitations is two years.

2. bostjan

Update: DeAndre Harris was arrested and released on bond.

The man who pressed the charges, Harold Ray Crews, is the chairman of the North Carolina League of the South, an organization accused of being a racist hate group by several other organizations.

I mean, maybe no one sees this as that big of a deal, but how are you going to arrest a man for assault when he was jumped by a handful of other guys and severely beaten, and the incident was widely photographed and reported?

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I expect the courts will see it your way.

bostjan likes this.
  4. bostjan

I would hope so. There have been no updates anywhere I've seen, even though he was supposedly arraigned nearly a week ago. It'd be nice to know if the charges were dismissed.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I think it's a pretty clear case of self-defense, *provided* there's no evidence the alleged assault happened before he got his ass kicked. At that point, well, it's maybe a valid charge.

6. bostjan

Ok, I've seen more video footage now, and the foray seems to be a little confusing. Harris was not the instigator, but did attack another protester with a stick or something. Granted that this other protester was already fighting another counter-protester with a flagpole, after that protester grabbed the end of it, after what had seemed like the protester had positioned the flagpole in a threatening manner...

It's a mess, for sure. Harris might claim he was coming to the defense of another person, which is a valid legal option, I believe, but it does seem to be why this is all happening.

Personally, I think Harris was out of line, but I also think the protester was out of line threatening the counter-protester, so if he got smacked in the head, he should chalk it up to threatening someone, getting into a tussle with them, and a third party stepping in. :shrug:

I guess maybe just ignore this thread, as no one is really on the right side of this, IMO.