Arjen Lucassen solo project: "Lost in the New Real"

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ilyti, Mar 6, 2012.

1. ilyti

ilyti Lazy Ryebread Viking

Arjen’s solo album title and cover art revealed : ArjenLucassen.com

Ahh, I can't waiiiiit!

2. Xiphos68

Xiphos68 SS.org Regular

I'm very interested in hearing this CD, given from what I've been told.

It's going to be good and there will be some 7 string action on it as well!
    :D

3. ilyti

This just came out today in Europe...

The title track has been posted on Arjen's Youtube! Listen and enjoy!

HeavyMetal4Ever likes this.
  4. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

that was awesome, i cant believe iv never heard of him :O

5. ilyti

Wow, if you haven't, I suggest that if you want to hear more, the best album of his to start with is Ayreon - The Human Equation. :) I can't say enough positive things about Arjen Lucassen, he deserves all the cred and respect possible!

beneharris likes this.
  6. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Enter (into??) the electric castle is my favourite Ayreon album, Pretty excited for this

7. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

He's better known for his Ayreon project. Well worth checking out if you like a rock opera album series with a brilliant cast of vocalists

His other projects are brilliant as well. In fact, fuck it. Just buy everything he's made

8. ilyti

Happy to see some Stream of Passion love. Generally considered his weakest/most sellouty project, but Embrace the Storm is really quite fantastic in my opinion.

9. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

Agreed. I love that album. I should have mentioned Ambeon as well, since it's just been re-released (finally!)

10. Xaios

Xaios <b><font color="#C6FF00">Foolish Mortal</font></b>

Is that Hansi Kursch's godlike voice I heard at one point during that song??

11. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

Yep. In this song, there's Hansi Kursch, Daniel Gildenlöw, Bob Caitley, Anneke Van Giersbergen, Floor Jansen, Steve Lee, Jorn Lande, and Tom S. England. The whole album has 17 singers, which by Arjen's own admission was a bit overkill :lol:

The album is more of a conclusion to the whole series though, so I'd check out the others first. Try and get them with the DVD's. Watching how he works and gets along with the vocalists and musicians is really inspiring

12. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy

Damn this new Arjen track is as good as you would expect of him. Much better than Guilt machine, which while good I found a bit stagnant (it was very similar to 01011001 thematically). The thing I love about Arjen's works is he is not terribly worried about producing stuff that cannot be performed. It is all about the end product.

Indeed it is, Hansi is on that album as one of The Forever. Damn I love that man's voice. As far as that album being a conclusion, I wouldn't worry about that (I bet we will see Arjen weasel some more into that 'story').

13. ilyti

Oh god I hope not.. I still think he could do a whole album about the character in "My House on Mars" and "Back on Planet Earth." Who I'm pretty sure is last man alive in 2084.

Actually, 01011001 could be the first album you listen to, because it sort of explains the whole story in one album. It could be difficult to figure it all out by listening to them chronologically. I had listened to The Human Equation a LOT, but not given much thought to the other albums until 01011001 came out. That explained the whole story, which I found really useful when trying to get into the other albums.

14. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

I remember he said he'll definitely make new Ayreon albums, but they'll follow a new plotline, hence the song Epilogue: The Memory Remains on the Timeline compilation.

I heard Mr. L is on this new album. I haven't looked at any videos because I want to hear it when I get it, so I have no idea to what extent, but at least we're still seeing some of it

15. ilyti

^ Yeah, if you'd watch the vid in the first post, he describe the concept of the album without spoiling it, including the "Mr. L" character's involvement.

16. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Mr L's younger persona was present in the electric castle was he not?

17. asphyx123

asphyx123 LRRG

2 failed tries to get this album on monday and yesterday. Will try again today after work. I bought every Arjen Lucassen Album up to date (except the Ambeon stuff) and surely didn't regret it.
    He never runs out of catchy melody lines and I really like the mix of heavy guitars and synths and all sort of other instruments.

Hope he will work together with Lori Linstruth some time again, I really like her solos.

18. Repner

Repner SS.org Regular

I think so. I'm sure I remember Arjen hinting that the fact the Hippie and Mr. L are the same person

19. Xiphos68

Xiphos68 SS.org Regular

Some of the best 7 string guitar tones comes from Mr. Lucassen.

Example A:

(One of the greatest solos people will ever here is in this song done by Mr. Michael Romeo, Symphony X's guitarist).

20. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

Mmm: Arjen plus Symphony X members always seems destined for greatness. Russell Allen is one of the few people I find who can make an Arjen A. Lucassen lyric sound natural.

@1:15, dat voice.

(Seriously, the man's great at the music, but he does write some stinking lyrics.)

And for good measure, since this is turning into a "post epic Arjen stuff" thread, here's Devin Townsend providing amazing multi-tracked brilliance on The Human Equation @2:15.