Are you happy with your job as a professional musician?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by george galatis, Dec 8, 2009.

Are you happy with your job as a professional musician?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. george galatis

george galatis SS.org Regular

Hey guys! I'm a student from cyprus, i study jazz-music performance
    at the university of nicosia (University of Nicosia - Cyprus - Home) and i need your
    help to finish my research paper untill that monday (14/10/09)

The question is: Are you happy with your job as a professional musician?

Please vote simply what do you belevie about it, and for sure there's no need to show your self or something,
    BUT if you like to, you can help more if you share your problems about - or the good things about your job;
    as a professional musician of course!

Thank you a lot!

2. Bleak

Bleak SS.org Regular

I can't answer 100% one way or another.

In this economy, it's hard. Nobody has the extra coin to spend on something seen as an extra luxury like a guitar lesson, or a night out at the bar to see X band. People are less reliable because of it, and so is your income. For me, it's been a BIG issue.

On the other hand, I absolutely LOVE what I do. I have a ton of fun. But, in reality, I can't get by on virtually nothing for a whole lot longer.

3. Otaraxia

Otaraxia SS.org Regular

I teach kids how to play keyboards in the Los Angeles Unified school district. I get paid 15 bucks an hour. I work part time. And, I absolutely love it. I most defineltly am not rich. But, I am happy doing what I do. But, that's just me.

4. Koshchei

Koshchei Banned

It's impossible to make a living as a professional musician unless you are EXTREMELY lucky and manage to get into writing commercial jingles or movie scores. Otherwise you'll eek out a miserable living from teaching, and then incur huge debt by touring or releasing anything.

A friend of mine put it perfectly when he described a professional musician as a beggar in shiny clothes. The music is fun, but the rest of it sucks.

5. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Relevant to my interests. I'm looking to get a degree in Audio Engineering. My question is, would it be worth the time and effort to go to college for 3 years to obtain my bachelor's degree?

6. Koshchei

Koshchei Banned

Probably - just keep in mind that a BA/BSC is the new high-school diploma. It'll land you an entry level white-collar job, but the rest is up to you. In Canada, you almost need a Master's to get into management.

7. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

I am quite happy with what I do musically, yet the vulnerability of the whole thing is something that makes me maintain my freelancing software development career active. At the merest sign of economical trouble, financial cuts ensue, and music (as well as cultural activities in general) are the first to take the hit.

I recorded and gigged significantly less in 2009 compared to 2008, although the next year bares signs of some recovery (judging from scheduled sessions and prospective tours). If I didn't complement my income with what I earn from developing software, I'd have suffered a noticeable drop in my annual income.

8. george galatis

i'm very pleased with your response guys! thank you!
    ....so actually that means the big problem here is just the money!

9. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Yes, and not always so, mind you. This was a peculiar year in that aspect, and once you do establish yourself, it isn't exactly bad by any means.

10. Koshchei

Koshchei Banned

"Just the money" when you're doing it for a living counts for a lot.

When club owners actively try to rip you off, people try to steal your gear, you're forced to subsist on a diet of Mr. Noodles and peanut butter, and a billion other reasons, there are more reasons against doing it professionally than there are for. I advise getting an education and starting a career (freelance or otherwise), and making music on your own terms, rather than at the mercy of everyone around you.

It's much less difficult when you're doing it for the love of it, rather than in order to survive. Plus, you get to set your own hours ;)

Hell, use your vacation and lieu time to tour :)

11. Setnakt

Setnakt il Brutto

All of these reasons also amount to a lot of insecurity in music. Musicians find their own way of doing things and get complacent. I've been pretty bitter just about how hard it is to do anything new to begin with.

Just remember that "originals" is a niche market.

12. george galatis

man i understand! i almost realize what do you feel about sacrificing a part of your life for that job!

and i'm really appreciated about your opinion! today you must get use different strategies for your carrer!

thank you dude :agreed:

+1 :agreed:

13. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

Yes and no, but I imagine the no will become less and less as time goes on, as it has already done that so far.

14. Daggorath

Daggorath -.-

I decide a while back not to pursue music as a career. Although I'd love to make a living from playing for people and teaching people, I can see that it would lead to alot of compromise. I would like to keep my music as fun and free as possible, as isn't that the point of it all really?

I spose some people are capable of applying their skills to music in it's various forms without letting it affect their own expression, but I doubt I'd be capable of this.

15. John_Strychnine

John_Strychnine I Was Once Groove.

I jsut hate not having money and having to sell gear when you run out, that sucks.

16. george galatis

:agreed:
    yeah! music isn't only a tasteless siries of pitches! is expression! and some times yeah we have to keep somethings as a hobby!

man this is horrible :realmad:
    it's useless to selling your gear! if you are a professional musician you have to keep your main ''tools'' maybe you have to search for a second full-time job and stay in music as a part timer to avoid the pressure instad to keep using your instruments! :shred:

(by the way...thank you about your comments guys, you'r' helping me a lot!!)

17. SerratedSkies

SerratedSkies SS.org Regular

I always tell the people I know that my version of the American Dream revolves around the 10 dollar a day rule. Basically, you go on tour, see every place you could ever imagine, with only 10 dollars a day to spend. I never expected to make a living off of playing music, and anyone who does expect that is playing music for all the wrong reasons. I'm an east coast guy, and if I'm with my band in the middle of nowhere, starving half to death with a hang over that kills brain cells, then I'm in my happy place. Going the distance isn't about the cash, it's about the experience. It's about your following. It's about all the people who know you aren't making a damn thing but something to listen to.

18. george galatis

that sounds good to me :agreed:
    is what you choose before long time

19. george galatis

good luck man!

:yesway:
    in cyprus you need 2 master's or doctorate diploma...the mba it's the predominant level :lol:

20. george galatis

please guys vote your opinion because i need to know until monday