Are expensive pedals worth it?

Discussion in 'Drums & Percussion' started by Lethe, May 7, 2012.

1. Lethe

Lethe SS.org Regular

so I've been playing on and off for about a year now, still in many ways a rookie, starting out with a cheap double pedal.

I was wondering if I should bite the bullet now and buy one of those direct drive pedals (Demon Drive, Axis, Trick...) to have an easier time getting fast or if it's better to wait for a while and develop my chops first, then get the pedal.

I know I still have to do the practice work with any pedal, but will I have an easier time getting good with one of those top-of-the-line pedals?

2. amonb

amonb Les Pauls forever Contributor

OOps, I started to respond then realised I have no idea. As you were.

3. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I'm a closet drummer, learned over the years by jammin on the drummer's kit in any band i've been in. I can always tell the difference between a good double bass set up. There are some that feel much better than others to me, much easier to enforce my will on the drums, if that makes sense, so i think it makes a pretty big difference. That's all i got for ya, hopefully a real drummer can tell you some specifics.

4. Kerosian

Kerosian SS.org Regular

If you want to get better faster, I recommend getting a nice direct drive pedal. They really are worth the money, but make sure you really want to stick with drumming before throwing down 500+ on a pedal. I have Trick Dominator's myself and I can tell you they are worth every penny.

5. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

Find the pedals that are most comfortable to use, then...

Practice your testicles off.

:metal:

Metronome is a drummers best friend ;)

6. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

In my opinion, the really really expensive pedals are only a bit better than the midrange ones. For instance, my Pearl Eliminator 2002 Belt Drive is almost as nice as the Demon Drive.
    Just my personal opinion. :2c:

7. ZEBOV

ZEBOV Banned

I LOVE MY DEMON DRIVES!

8. Lethe

Lethe SS.org Regular

Interesting. I'm watching a used 2002C and might pull the trigger on that one, but If spending more and getting a Demon Drive will put me at a significant advantage, I might do it.

Anyone have any experience with the two?

I'm not buying pedals every year, so if you look at it as like a 5-year investment, it's not that expensive compared to what I spend on cigarettes.

9. xeonblade

xeonblade SS.org Regular

Get Demon Drive, never change a pedal (unless you hate it)

10. Maniacal

Maniacal SS.org Regular

I hated demon drives, just didnt feel good for me. I use speed cobras and longboards now.

Mainly speed cobras.

11. CTID

CTID Duh-Jent

First thing you should do is go to a music store and actually try a variety of pedals to see which you find the most comfortable.

Also with bass pedals once you hit the $300+ mark you're pretty much using what pros use and it comes down to feel. Yeah, Demon Drives might be great, but there's diminishing returns with pedals once you hit $300. Sure, Demon Drive's are great pedals but are they twice as good as Iron Cobras, enough to be twice the price? That's entirely up to how you feel about them. Things like that really need to go into your determination of what to buy.

12. ShadowFactoryX

ShadowFactoryX OMNIHILITY

if you have a technique that works for you, and you've got it down, invest in some good pedals to help
    make sure you try them out first though

13. GuitaristOfHell

GuitaristOfHell The Optimist Prime.

Depends on the tone you want. I'm extremely happy with my MXR Zak Wylde OD that I traded my TS9 for.

AngstRiddenDreams likes this.
  14. Razzy

Razzy [10]

I've always been a big fan of the Trick Dominators as well.

The tension adjustment dial is absolutely genius, and they're indestructible.

15. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I guess you can hit a bass drum with a guitar pedal, just weld them to the hammer shafts. :lol:

16. Lethe

Lethe SS.org Regular

The thing to remember is that 9V batteries don't like the constant vibration and tend to fail in such circumstances. Pedals that are welded to a beater should be driven by a DC adapter. This will also cut down on weight and allow for faster playing. :yesway:

Anyways, I guess I will get the used 2002c, grow familiar with it, then try out a demon drive in a shop and see if it's an improvement.

Thanks for the advice, guys!

17. ShadowFactoryX

ShadowFactoryX OMNIHILITY

eliminators are a great place to start
    generally affordable, and definitely within the "pro" confines

18. Sepultorture

Sepultorture Murder Machine

^THIS

your one best bet is to go try out which one is most to your liking, then bring it home and tweak it to your liking

personally i liked the demon drives as they weren't to light or heavy in feel and response, that and their adjustable as hell. from long to standard board length, soft, medium and hard drive adjustments, spring tension adjustment, goes on and on.

only thing i did different with that pedal was ad a sonic hammer from Axis pedals for each pedal. beater height adjustment is all well and good, but i also like having beater head length adjustments as well. it's more options to play with, but you can find your comfort zone in time.

but still, go to your nearest shop and try out as many pedals as possible, even if you have to drive a distance to get to a place that has all the pedals you want to try

19. Zeetwig

Zeetwig Dedicated Chiller

I wouldn't say that direct drive pedals are a necessity for playing fast. I use speed cobras and I am currently at 220-230 BMP 16th notes (sometimes more, sometimes less). The thing with direct drives is that they are very powerless IMO. A chain will always give you more of a punch than direct drives (IMO). However, as people say: try a lot of pedals! What works for me or someone else might not work for you! Remember this!

Also, getting a high-end pedal will give you more setup options, and the quality will probably be better, so it is definitely worth it! However, BMP-wise a high-end pedal might add just around 10-30 BPM, so if you want to get fast technique is the answer, not the gear.

Another thing you might consider is that a double pedal will slow down the slave foot (if you have a right footed double pedal then the left is the slave foot). I am just about to change from a speed cobra double to 2 single speed cobras and 2 bass drums, since my left foot has to work much harder due to the lag in the slave pedal. This won't affect you at first, but as you play more and more, the pedal gets older and you get faster the more and more annoying this will get.

:2c:

20. simulclass83

simulclass83 Yes, pancakes.

To answer your question:
    According to my drummer, yes.