Are Esp and LTD necks the same?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by stinkoman, Dec 2, 2018.

1. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

Yes, I know LTD is owned by Esp, but will a say thin U on LTD be consistent feeling to an Esp equivalent? I'm asking as I found many times that "cheaper" versions of guitars made in different factories even with the supposed same specs can very from feel from the premium version and I can't find an actual Esp to try.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The ESP, and in turn LTD, neck descriptors/names are fucking useless. :lol:

A "Thin U" on one series can be vastly different than the "Thin U" on a different series.

Strobe, stinkoman, setsuna7 and 2 others like this.
  3. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Strong disagree. There was a period there for a bit where the LTDs in particular were all over the map, for a couple of years before the WMI shake up, but I've had every era of ESPs and can say that the Thin U is generally within range outside of those years. Particularly on ESPs/EIIs.

stinkoman likes this.
  4. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I agree.

The eclipse neck is different then a horizon in my experience.

stinkoman likes this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

I guess it depends on what "within range" means to you. I'd say a variance around two or three millimeters, and some different tapers between 1st fret and neck joint counts as essentially different necks. The idea is the same (D vs. C, etc.), but I would never say they're the "same", as in completely identical.

It's one of the reasons they've never been overly forthcoming with neck dimensions.

I'll give it to you that I was being somewhat hyperbolic, but I've always been surprised at the amount of variation between supposedly identical necks from ESP. Not that it's a bad thing exactly.

stinkoman and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I assume the focus of your question is does something like an LTD EC-1000 neck match the ESP-EII Eclipse neck; or, the H-1000 match the ESP-EII Horizon?

The answer is no. They're generally pretty close, but the ESP-EII's tend to be slightly thicker and more round. The EC-Deluxe vs. Eclipse necks are the closest in my opinion; the H-Deluxevs. Horizon was similar but not as close. My answer is based on 1 EII Eclipse compared to 3 LTD Ec-1000's back-to-back in the same store (I think they were all 2018 models, although one EC-Deluxe was 2017). As well as an H-Deluxe that was 2018 vs. a 2018 EII Horizon FR and Horizon III.

I did notice the 2018 EC-Deluxe's to be much closer to the Eclipse than the 2017 EC-Deluxe though; very close, but didn't feel as rounded and was still very slightly thinner/smaller.

But that is just my experience with a handful of guitars. Perhaps other batches were closer or even further apart in spec.

If you generally like the LTD-Deluxe shape you get on a model you can expect the EII to be quite similar but slightly thicker and more rounded in profile.

stinkoman likes this.
  7. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Having owned about 40 or so ESPs from low end to custom, I suppose I can say my “within range” is less scientific and more “this feels like ESP Thin U.” Often within a mm. Which isn’t to say I haven’t found many exceptions, because I have. Some of the LTD H1000s from the 40th anniversary batch were almost Gibson bat sized.
    Outside of that, I can definitively state that I can say there’s a genuine difference between the neck profiles and discerning them is fairly easy. Doesn’t mean there aren’t oddballs, but I haven’t bought a Horizon proper (SS, EII and up) and been shocked by the neck. Though I will say, the older bolt on necks are some of the best.

AkiraSpectrum and stinkoman like this.
  8. MaxOfMetal

I've only owned six ESPs and two LTDS. But, I've probably worked on a few hundred, at least. I worked at an ESP dealer for about four years and did incoming and post sale inspection on nearly everything that came through the door.

My findings were that across the different series there would be variations. For example the Thin U on the Original Series Eclipse was a little different than that on the Original Series Horizons, which isn't surprising given the different neck joint geometry. They were very similar up until about the 7th fret. I felt the biggest variations were on the Extra Thin U, which sometimes were a little flatter along the back on the MIJ stuff.

The more recent observations I've made is that the E-II and LTD1000[MIK] are very, very similar depending on model. But the lower ranges (600 and down) have more variation.

The three ESP USA models I've played, two MIIs and an Eclipse felt different than the current Japanese stuff.

Same and similar are different things. :shrug:

9. AkiraSpectrum

Going to agree with Max and FeralEdge that the newer LTD-Deluxes (especially the 2018's) are much closer to the ESP E-II version than previous years. If you're looking to buy an E-II and can't try one out first, track down a 2018 Deluxe and you should notice the E-II neck to be very very close overall.

I own an LTD EC-1000 (Deluxe) from 2007 and its definitely not as close as the 2018's that I played recently to an ESP E-II.

stinkoman likes this.
  10. TheUnknownOne

TheUnknownOne SS.org Regular

Are the 2018's the ones without the 12th fret inlay, or is that the 2019 series ?

11. MaxOfMetal

TheUnknownOne likes this.
  12. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Actually 2018 was the first year without the 12th fret inlay. They did it for all ESP USA and any new or updated LTD model.

I've always found the Thin U fairly consistent on my LTDs with exception to the 1997 mirages. They were more of a rounded C shape. The Standard Series thin u has been consistent with the Eclipse, Viper, Phoenix, and Horizon I owned. My Standard Series Eclipse FT was a fatter U shape just like Custom Jon Donais I owned, but that was a limited run that I believe was Spec 'd out to have more of a Lee Paul neck feel.

13. AkiraSpectrum

Your question has already been answered by others, but i'll repeat it. Most of the 2018 models had the inlay, but some didn't. It was dependent on time of production and model as far I am aware.

As far as I know most everything in the ESP line (All full/core ESP's from Japan, ESP USA, and LTD) has lost its model # inlay, excluding the E-II series which doesn't have the model # but the ESP inlay on the 12th fret instead.

14. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

Thanks for all the replies everyone. And yes I am highly considering get an E-ii horizon 7 so hopefully that applies to the 7 strings as well. I have yet to play a "real" ESP and made a post a long time back about my frustrations about how I don't think I ever seen one in person, Granted I also skipped looking at dlectric guitars for 17 of the 20 years I been playing music (bass) .

AkiraSpectrum likes this.