Are Duncan and Dimarzio magnets compatible? (PAF7 alnico mod)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Petar Bogdanov, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

I have a Jazz 7 laying around and I feel like the PAF7 in the neck position of my RG could use some extra sponginess for cleans and leads.

If you've done this mod, how does it sound? I'm also interested in where to get 7-string magnets in the EU.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's been ages since I've swapped magnets, so take this with a grain of salt, but when I did I found the SD magnets to be just a hair wider (front to back/neck to bridge) than the DiMarzio.

There's something of a standard sizing for bar magnets, but the precision of the actual magnet sizing can be all over the place.

I do remember 6 and 7 strings using the same size magnets. At least back in the early 00's.

odibrom and Petar Bogdanov like this.
  3. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Six string magnets will work for sure. I don’t know about size differences among brands, but I’ve had no troubles buying third-party magnets and swapping them into Dimarzios.

Petar Bogdanov likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

they should be pretty close to each other in size. I can't really help with getting magnets in the EU but check out ebay or reverb, I know there's international sellers that offer an array of magnets. Worst case you could order a couple from mojotone and eat the shipping.